Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2011, 07:28 PM   #51
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Default Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead - USA has body!

It's remotely possible that a person might have a life away from television, and "the interwebs" as you put it.

But that's sidetracking things.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:31 PM   #52
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
Long story short, Obama won.

How did you not see the speech? It was on every channel as we were discussing it last night, not to mention all over the interwebs.
It was late, so I wasn't watching TV and I keep the sound turned off on the PC when the boys are asleep, so it wouldn't have done me any good to watch the speech last night. Instead, I looked up the text, but that doesn't give the emphasis from tone and inflection nor does it reflect the body language. So I watched it this morning as soon as I had the time.

It's definitely a win for Obama in more ways than one. I may not agree about all the ways, but there is no denying it is a "win" for him.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:43 PM   #53
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Loftis View Post
Well it's either an incorrect or incomplete fact. As Rush Limbaugh described on his radio show, Obama was presented with several missions that involved various ways to "nuke" the target and lay waste to the compound. It was his own plan to insist on putting boots on the ground and send in SEAL Team 6. He wanted the DNA, he wanted the proof. If Rush can give credit, I'd think you could.
My initial posts were made very shortly after the news first broke, but I still hadn't seen his speech or any of the news reports first hand at that time. I looked up the article on CNN that gave a good background on bin Laden's rise to power and infamy and I looked up the text of Obama's speech.

At that point in time, I really didn't see evidence he (Obama) had done anything more than would be expected of any POTUS; staying abreast of the situation and giving authorization that could only come from him for the military operation. Even at that, I personally gave him credit for authorizing the full use of lethal force rather than a half-assed attempt to take him (bin Laden) alive. As more information has come to light, it appears Obama did have a more direct hand in process leading up to the operation and choosing the option that would provide the best possible outcome - undeniable proof that bin Laden's reign of terror had ended.

I DO give Obama credit for realizing the ground assault was the best option, despite the greater risk to our own personnel, and following through on it instead of taking the easy way out and bombing the place to rubble. I give credit to the decision to bury bin Laden at see so his tomb could never become a shrine (not sure who made that decision, but it was a master stroke). Finally, I give Obama credit for insisting bin Laden's body be handled and treated in accordance with Muslim law, despite the heinous acts he committed and emphasizing this was NOT a war with Islam, but rather with a dangerous radical who happened to be Islamic. That showed tremendous respect for the Islamic religion and culture which will be sorely needed during as other radicals seek retaliation for the loss of their leader.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:47 PM   #54
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Winking Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead - USA has body!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerek View Post
It was late, so I wasn't watching TV and I keep the sound turned off on the PC when the boys are asleep, so it wouldn't have done me any good to watch the speech last night. Instead, I looked up the text, but that doesn't give the emphasis from tone and inflection nor does it reflect the body language. So I watched it this morning as soon as I had the time.

It's definitely a win for Obama in more ways than one. I may not agree about all the ways, but there is no denying it is a "win" for him.
I see. Earphones ftw. Just wondered, since u were on here with us as it happend.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #55
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Sunglass Man Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead - USA has body!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestormalpha View Post
It's remotely possible that a person might have a life away from television, and "the interwebs" as you put it.

But that's sidetracking things.
Not sidetracking, but not reading He was here with us last night on the interwebsz as it was going down.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:03 PM   #56
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
Not sidetracking, but not reading He was here with us last night on the interwebsz as it was going down.
D'oh, you're correct.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:06 PM   #57
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Alcohol View Post
There is no way they will reveal any names or faces of the team. It will not happen. I'm assuming it was United States Naval Special Warfare Development Group that did this. Thats the Navy version of Delta.
Really? And Correct.

Then why does the entire world know SEAL Team 6 carried out the mission? The CNN brief I saw noonish had the former CIA OBL task force leader on yapping his trap about some of the other missions ST-6 has accomplished. Horrible!

Some folks get so excited over things they don't realize they jizzed their pants in public!

If it were not for trying to be the first to make a story, regardless of the outcome, the world also would not have seen the USS Florida on the surface being refitted after volley firing into Libya. BTW, we were not "trying" to hit Omar, but...

We do not need to justify our means!

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:22 PM   #58
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

What's with the burial at sea though?

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:41 PM   #59
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix The Assassin View Post
Really? And Correct.

Then why does the entire world know SEAL Team 6 carried out the mission? The CNN brief I saw noonish had the former CIA OBL task force leader on yapping his trap about some of the other missions ST-6 has accomplished. Horrible!

Some folks get so excited over things they don't realize they jizzed their pants in public!

If it were not for trying to be the first to make a story, regardless of the outcome, the world also would not have seen the USS Florida on the surface being refitted after volley firing into Libya. BTW, we were not "trying" to hit Omar, but...

We do not need to justify our means!

Yea yea I know, though SEAL Team 6 sounds better than Devgru. So they went with 6. I do kind of wonder though, is OBL dead? Or did we just say he is? We could waterboard that asshole for decades if he is "dead".
Old 05-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #60
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post
What's with the burial at sea though?
Seriously?

Imagine the resources required to build a shrine, and a pathway to that shrine. Not to mention the recorded time and location of casket overboard has not yet been released. Thou at the way things are going, it might spill out soon.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote