Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2002, 11:28 AM   #81
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
WWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW Dan! That is so unbelievable!! I'm absolutely stumped, and agree wholeheartedly with the things everybody said so far.
I'm SO happy for you, you really deserved this! Of course you should do it!! What people said is true: it's not the name that makes this forum such a wonderful place, it's the people, the atmosphere.
Just make sure, like some people said, that you be careful with taxes and people trying to take advantage of you, OK?
But WHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! This is so cool! Congratulations man!
Now you can make a world tour and meet all of your 8000+ members
I can hardly believe this... sounds almost too good to be true. Wow
YAEHH Mel have right here you can "rent" the boat "The World" build in Norway lol" and we could have a HELL of a party there haha! omg 8000 IRW people on one deck HOLA BABY! You deserv this Dan you are the best man here! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2002, 11:35 AM   #82
uss
20th Level Warrior

Congratulations, Ziroc! Give them the name! the new name should be "The Great Uss Palace" and put a picture of a big worm in every page .
Old 07-06-2002, 11:39 AM   #83
SecretMaster
Apophis

Hey Ziroc, not too much is left of Ground Zero. They took the last beam down, and now its just empty. But still, NY needs all the comfort we can afford. It sucks, cuz now when I go down to vacation with my parents and family members, we won't see the WTC on the other side of the Hudson river from NJ. You could visit me too Ziroc. But then again, my house is in the middle of Boringsville.
Old 07-06-2002, 11:50 AM   #84
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

TAKE IT
Unless you dont feel it is right... but then take it anyway no do what you feel but that is hella lot of money

If you come to Scotland With muchos mone Id recommend staying at Gleneagles but you must come see the North East too [img]smile.gif[/img] and the highlands... and the western isles Skye and glasgow oh edinburgh too.. wait and Peebles
Old 07-06-2002, 11:59 AM   #85
SomeGuy
Unicorn

Come to Oklahoma!Come to Oklahoma!Come to Oklahoma!You know where it's at!Visit me!Visit me!Visit me!
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
Old 07-06-2002, 11:59 AM   #86
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Not to be a wet blanket, but... exactly what was the deal? As in, the fine print and all that?

I cannot really give my opinion until I see what kind of deal they are offering you.
Old 07-06-2002, 12:26 PM   #87
Jerhal
Dungeon Master

There's more to life then games. Sell it, quit your job and go have fun! Thats what I would do. Make sure you get what you want out of it or at least what they are willing to pay, but don't wait too long or they'll get smart and think up some other name to use.
Old 07-06-2002, 12:51 PM   #88
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerhal:
There's more to life then games. Sell it, quit your job and go have fun! Thats what I would do. Make sure you get what you want out of it or at least what they are willing to pay, but don't wait too long or they'll get smart and think up some other name to use.
This is true. They calle them "negotiations" for a reason. Large company makes offer. You make counter offer. Dont price yourself out of the market though or they might take the offer off the table. But still, you have to try to get more. IMO I think you should try.

Its like a majot league team negotiating a contract with a free agent. In this case you literally ARE the free agent. You can do what you want. Take it or leave it. I think most business advisors or attorney's would tell you to make a counter offer and see what they say. Not only have they expressed interest in it, they've gone so far as to make an offer. Being one of the 10 largest companies in the world, they know how to "negotiate" and negotiating is all part of the game. They thrive on it.

Heres a scenario for you. You take the $3.8 mil andthe company's negotiator walks away scratching his head and giving himself a pat on the back thinking "Moron could have had 6.9 million if hed played his cards right"

I dont mean to be insuting or anything. I just believe thats how it works. They go low-ball. You go highball. Meet somewhere in the middle.

Dont forget that team of lawyers is going to take a BIG cut of the money. You should make a counter offer thats high enough to cover your legal fees and STILL have $3.8 million left. Roadster too

After that hop on a plane and GET YOUR ASS TO AUSTRALIA [img]tongue.gif[/img] Time for you to come on a tour of Melbourne and Sydney [img]smile.gif[/img] . Im sure Memnoch and Azzy would love to meet you as well

If you play your cards right, youll be able to live off the interest for the rest of your life. Last time I checked the interest on a cool million was $300 a day. You could easily spend $900 a day and never even touch the money in the bank. of course youll spend a million getting all your businesses set up. So youll have to live with spending $600 a day [img]tongue.gif[/img] When was the last time you had a job that paid $600 a day? Or even DIDNT have a job and made $600 a day??

This ROCKS
Old 07-06-2002, 01:32 PM   #89
Moiraine
Anubis

Quote:
Originally posted by morgain:
Maybe because I'm a new member, or maybe because I'm a foreigner, I don't understand where is the interest for a large company to buy just a name, and a name dedicated to a website for RPG games ? What do they intend to do with the name ? If you sell the name, you sell the site too (and create a new site with the same purpose and an other name) or not ?
No matter ... Of course, it's great for you ! Congratulations !! As far as my advice can have any value, all I can say is : TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN ...

Just a litte (bitter) remark anyway : why did you quote Paris France third in your list... after kangaroos ... twenty centuries of old European civilization are insulted ....
And why Paris (always Paris ...) ? In Provence, there is an old sentence that says "Qui a vist Paris et noun Cassis a ren vist" (don't run to your dictionary : it's not French language, it's in old Provençal - translation : "the one who saw Paris and didn't see Cassis has seen nothing"). I mean : if you travel to Paris (which is located north of France), make a litte 800 km further and go to Provence (south of France) : more sun, the sea, ... and me !

I'm joking : Paris is a very beautiful (rainy) town. And Cassis is just a litte Mediterranean (sunny) port. Very nice, however. The sentence I quoted you is the town device (if I well remember, I believe Paris device is in latin : "fluctuat nec mergitur". That means "she (the town) floats but she doesn't sink". When I tell you it's a watery town...).

NB : and if you sell who is going to help me to enter the Stout Mines now ??? Can you tell me ?!!!
Wow another Frenchie at last !!! [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

Moiraine, Morgain ... now everybody will confuse us !

So you live in Cassis, eh ? [img]smile.gif[/img] Beautiful little town in beautiful Provence. I should know, my father is from Provence.

You may know I'm hosting a weekly-long IW party in a week - interested in hopping there and say Hi to several old IW members ? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2002, 01:36 PM   #90
Moiraine
Anubis

Dan, when you've had enough of Paris and Cassis, come to Grenoble and say Hi, OK ? [img]smile.gif[/img]