Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2001, 11:27 AM   #81
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Absynthe:
Hoping that two wrongs will make you right?

Why not it seems to be the basis for argument from the otherside

If two people agree then it must be right

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Bossman of Better Funny Stuff.....of the Laughing Hyenas!
Old 09-27-2001, 11:28 AM   #82
Absynthe

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
Should I try a collection for two seats on the plane?

Oh me! I have been hoist on my own petard and flayed by your razor wit...

Old 09-27-2001, 11:29 AM   #83
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:
There is a lot I wanted to respond to, but this was on the last page so I will start here

Wouldn't we be getting ourselves into the same situation as we have in the past (and that some people here are against)...if we support the Northern Alliance and help them gain a majority rule in Afghanistan, isn't that the same as supplying the Taliban and bin Laden in their fight against Russia? How do we know that the Northern Alliance will turn out any better? We cannot argue that support was a bad choice in one instant and then turn around and try to justify it in the next. We (any country that lost citizens in the attack) should deal with this matter directly, not through support of an opposition group.

Good point, Moridin. That was a thought that came into my head on the spur of the moment - hadn't thought through the implications.

------------------

Ascended Mistress of Illumination
Old 09-27-2001, 11:39 AM   #84
Absynthe

Quote:

Thanks for catching that Moridin...
There's been such opportunity for everyone posting lately to learn from each other, opportunity which has been all but squandered. Rather than trying on each others' ideas and truly attempting to understand other viewpoints, there has been a seemingly ever-increasing divisiveness which will lead us in a perfect circle back to where we started. Camps are forming, Hawk and Dove, Left and Right, Conservative and Liberal, Dumb and Dumber.
In a few cases, people are actually having useful discourse and learning from each other, but it seems to be the exception rather than the rule. For my part, I have no great wisdom to impart, no agenda to further, so I will do what I can to try and inject a bit of humor. BTW, I think the line in your sig about teaching pigs to sing is widely applicable in most of the debates/rants that are being carried on.

------------------

Old 09-27-2001, 11:41 AM   #85
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for catching that Moridin...
There's been such opportunity for everyone posting lately to learn from each other, opportunity which has been all but squandered. Rather than trying on each others' ideas and truly attempting to understand other viewpoints, there has been a seemingly ever-increasing divisiveness which will lead us in a perfect circle back to where we started. Camps are forming, Hawk and Dove, Left and Right, Conservative and Liberal, Dumb and Dumber.
In a few cases, people are actually having useful discourse and learning from each other, but it seems to be the exception rather than the rule. For my part, I have no great wisdom to impart, no agenda to further, so I will do what I can to try and inject a bit of humor. BTW, I think the line in your sig about teaching pigs to sing is widely applicable in most of the debates/rants that are being carried on.

Heya Absynthe, how you doing, chucky egg? Nice post!!

------------------

Old 09-27-2001, 12:07 PM   #86
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:

Oh me! I have been hoist on my own petard and flayed by your razor wit...

Are you hurt? Did I hurt cha? Are ya OK?

Wait? *sniff* Do I smell sarcasm?
Old 09-27-2001, 12:43 PM   #87
Absynthe

Heya Absynthe, how you doing, chucky egg? Nice post!!

Greetings, Oh Argent Puss! Thanks for that, I seem to be getting spleenish lately... Not doing too badly overall, a bit rushed today from the brouhaha at work, kinda feeling the mileage. About time for a quiet weekend curled up with a good bunch of books. Looking forward to poets day, I am.
In re Fljotsdales test results: Is she as innocent as all that?

Ciao

------------------

Old 09-27-2001, 12:44 PM   #88
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

After consideration, I go back to my original thought on this topic, which is that we need a world body with TEETH which would function under the rule of law to deal with situations such as the one we currently find ourselves faced with. I cannot see any other option which would work. All other methods are just short termism, including assassinating bin Laden, which is just going to drive a large part of the Middle East crazy, and create yet more terrorists.

This is the perfect opportunity, whilst all nations are reeling from the shock of the events, for us to come together in relative harmony AGAINST all those who either commit, sanction or aid and abet human rights abuses worldwide. (This has implications for sales of arms, torture weapons, certain biological and chemical agents and so on.)

Such a body would have many weapons at its command, over and above military. Economic, for one. (Although I totally oppose sanctions on necessities such as foods and medicines, which just make matters far worse).

A world body solution would avoid countries taking unilateral action, which I believe is a big mistake. This would avoid overly hasty action being taken or the blaming of one single country when an action misfired. In addition, the expense in terms of human resources and financial costs would not have to be borne by any one country.

So I guess such a force would combine aspects of Nato, the security council and so on.

A world body could also be authorised to legislate (and prosecute) in regard to arms sales to corrupt and abusive regimes, something which is desperately needed. The company directors of any company who sells to a regime with arms sanctions would be prosecuted and jailed if found guilty.

A world body could also ban particular types of chemical and biological research, and prosecute offenders, (that includes in the West.)

This isn’t a particularly easy option, but this is the best time ever to start putting it in place, as awareness is pretty high right now in comparison with what it usually is. I think there would be a lot of support for such a body. It would take a lot to get it in place and get it to work, but to my mind, it would be very much worth doing. The overall impetus would be for peace and security for all peoples.

------------------

Old 09-27-2001, 12:45 PM   #89
Absynthe

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
Are you hurt? Did I hurt cha? Are ya OK?

Wait? *sniff* Do I smell sarcasm?
Either that, or my deodorant is wearing off...

------------------

[This message has been edited by Absynthe (edited 09-27-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Absynthe (edited 09-27-2001).]

Old 09-27-2001, 12:47 PM   #90
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Either that, or my deodorant is wearing off... :hee hee:

LOL! I should've expected that. It always happens when I use that line!