Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2001, 01:04 AM   #71
G'kar

I prefer Shaman or witch. The meaning of the words, more than the label. But if I hafta, I'll go with neo/pagan, to describe a more general cultural affiliation. Autumn is in the air already in New England as well. Quite the lovley time, perhaps thats why Samhain is one of my favorite ritual holidays.

Old 09-29-2001, 01:15 AM   #72
G'kar

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:

Thus prayer and magic are totally different. Prayer is communication with the said creator. Praising, requesting, thanking, simply being with he that made us.

Magic is a means to an end. It is summoning strength into oneself for a certain end. Prayer by contrast can be an end in itself. One does not just pray to get something.

In your opinion.

Old 09-29-2001, 06:56 AM   #73
Epona
Zartan

Am I right in thinking that the term neo-pagan is a kind of general heading, but does not mean anything in itself - it is more a descriptive umbrella term used to describe the various 'paths' or 'Old Ways' - Wicca, Shamanism, Druidry, etc.

These are the main beliefs in common (from the Pagan Federation Website):

Love and Kinship with Nature. Reverence for the life force and its ever-renewing cycles of life and death.

The Pagan Ethic: "If it harm none, Do what thou wilt." This is a positive morality, expressing the belief in individual responsibility for discovering ones own true nature and developing it fully, in harmony with the outer world and community.

Honouring the Totality of Divine Reality, which transcends gender, without suppressing either the female or male aspect of Deity.

I am not a 'pagan' (my parents are though), although I think if I were to have any religious belief it would be more this than Christianity - it seems very natural to me.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 09-29-2001, 08:04 AM   #74
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Am I right in thinking that the term neo-pagan is a kind of general heading, but does not mean anything in itself - it is more a descriptive umbrella term used to describe the various 'paths' or 'Old Ways' - Wicca, Shamanism, Druidry, etc.

That is how I understand the term, yes.

------------------
Grand High Illuminated Master
Old 09-29-2001, 09:43 PM   #75
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Well, is interesting hearing everyone's different replies to this thread Guess I will toss in mine own to add too

Btw, I am a Christian. My beliefs are set in stone, won't change. Wrote a poem about it:

LET THERE BE LIGHT

I hear people speak that God doesn't exist
As they sit surrounded by all His gifts
Beautiful colors and sweet birdsong
Most seasons are never too long

Summertime comes and the flowers are pleasing
Warm winds blow in their fragrances pleasantly teasing
Majestic trees hold out their arms to give us shade
Embracing us in their canopy of brown and jade

The sun rises every day, and tells us to Live
And we accept it, but in return have nothing to Give
The sun sets every day, and tells us to Rest
And we accept it, knowing the Earth knows Best

In our ignorance we do not recognize
The Intelligence behind this planet so wise
We are not some coincidental biological mistake
We are the carefully calculated Human Race

------------------
Old 09-29-2001, 09:59 PM   #76
Conan

Very nice Lady Z!
I went to the library today and glanced over 2 leading books on this topic.
The Wiccan mysteries by Raven Grimassi and
The Heart of Wicca by Ellen Reed.

I would not describe myself as this at all. Very intresting readings thow.

------------------
*\Conan/*

[This message has been edited by Conan (edited 09-29-2001).]

Old 09-29-2001, 11:40 PM   #77
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:

And no, I hate the idea of a god system! That implies subjugating ourselves, making ourselves less than we really are. Gods are figments of our imagination. That's not what I, or most of the people in this thread are saying at all.

That's it, now I really AM going to bed!

Sorry SC, you must be speaking for yourself! God is very real to ME and as much a part of my life as the world he created for me to inhabit.

My 'worship' is an extension of the incredible awe and gratitude I feel for him and it is part of my daily thought processes. God is so far above us, I have no problem humbly acknowledging him as my creator and if you wish to call that 'subjugation' fine, but to me, it's a Father and child relationship. I RESPECT, HONOR and try very hard to OBEY his laws and fit them into my life. I'm by no means a perfect Christian, but I make that trying a part of my goals, things I want to achieve.

I usually avoid this kind of thread because frankly, I've found in many cases, Christianity seems to be the thing to bash these days. It's fashionable and people hop right on the bashwagon if Christianity is the target. I am not ashamed of who I am and Christian is a big part of that. My beliefs define how I relate to the world around me. I am very much in favor of proper stewardship of the natural resources we've been given as well.

Goodnight, btw! Sorry if this is sounds a bit abrubt SC or anyone else. I've just been following alot of threads these last few months, here and on other boards and I've noticed the trend to ridicule Christianity again and I know that was most likely not SC's intent, but the referenced comments and others of the thread had me thinking I needed to respond. That and Dio gives me hell for not posting my thoughts.

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
CloudDragon of the OHF
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."

[This message has been edited by Cloudbringer (edited 09-29-2001).]
Old 09-30-2001, 12:09 AM   #78
G'kar

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:

These are the main beliefs in common (from the Pagan Federation Website):

Love and Kinship with Nature. Reverence for the life force and its ever-renewing cycles of life and death.

The Pagan Ethic: "If it harm none, Do what thou wilt." This is a positive morality, expressing the belief in individual responsibility for discovering ones own true nature and developing it fully, in harmony with the outer world and community.

Honouring the Totality of Divine Reality, which transcends gender, without suppressing either the female or male aspect of Deity.

I am not a 'pagan' (my parents are though), although I think if I were to have any religious belief it would be more this than Christianity - it seems very natural to me.

Yes, Neo-pagan describes a general culture that share a few key common ideals that you mentioned above.
I worked in a coven that had huge diversity. Each individual was encouraged to walk their own spiritual path, and time was taken for everyone to share their own magical prayers during ritual as well as solo time for every one within the circle. Before and after circle rites we would eat, drink, smoke and be merry!!!! Some explored native north/south american shamanics, others wiccan mysteries, and yet others brought eastern mystism. Individually we were Shamans, witches, wiccans, medicene healers, buddists, spiritualists, taosist, and others, but collectively we all agreed on "pagan" as a broader definition of our culture. We held courses on herbalism, mystical teachers of all religions, eco-awareness, and lots of other topics. We even had a book club. Our public festivals were publicized as "pagan gatherings" and "all walks of life welcome, with mutual respect" Very much fun, and we raised alot of awareness of our practices to some of the braver superstitious or misled folks in the area. I moved away from that area sometime ago, so I havent been active in a coven for several years. I have missed it of late.

Old 09-30-2001, 01:44 AM   #79
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Well, is interesting hearing everyone's different replies to this thread Guess I will toss in mine own to add too

Btw, I am a Christian. My beliefs are set in stone, won't change. Wrote a poem about it:

LET THERE BE LIGHT

I hear people speak that God doesn't exist
As they sit surrounded by all His gifts
Beautiful colors and sweet birdsong
Most seasons are never too long

Summertime comes and the flowers are pleasing
Warm winds blow in their fragrances pleasantly teasing
Majestic trees hold out their arms to give us shade
Embracing us in their canopy of brown and jade

The sun rises every day, and tells us to Live
And we accept it, but in return have nothing to Give
The sun sets every day, and tells us to Rest
And we accept it, knowing the Earth knows Best

In our ignorance we do not recognize
The Intelligence behind this planet so wise
We are not some coincidental biological mistake
We are the carefully calculated Human Race

Beautiful poem! I believe in God, because all of this around us can not be pure coincidence, BUT, I also believe in Evolution, because I do not believe that God is an all-powerful being, but that he is merely able to do such things as affecting which way Evolution goes, I am also part wiccan, I believe that God is all around us, in everything, from the smallest bugs to the greatest mountains, the rule I follow is the wiccan one though, "Do what you want, as long as it harms noone", and I believe that whatever you do, returns to you three-fold.

------------------
Worshipper of Tiax.

Wielder of the ancient Lawyer spells.

Member of the HADB clan.

Ally of the Fluffy Queen and the Dreaded Red Fluffy

General of the highest class and Leader of the Legal Department and Jumprope Compound in the IW Peacekeeping Force.

I've also got a pretty long sig.
Old 09-30-2001, 01:50 AM   #80
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

LadyZekke, love the poem! Thanks for sharing it with us! Hi Neb! I almost missed her poem, but caught it in your quote! Thanks to you too!

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
CloudDragon of the OHF
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."