Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2001, 03:33 AM   #71
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

ok, we should propose a ban on hugs overlimit certain amount of size and strength...

j/k!!
Old 09-15-2001, 03:36 AM   #72
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by KHaN:
I think the point here is Flots might be somewhat phycologicaly scared by what happened to her (who wouldn't be from living in Britian during WW2) and at first Moni was offended by the term Flots used and then tried to show Ms. F her (Moni's)point of view to help her understand and maybe address any issues.

I also served in the military but I would never say that just because I did that you and I see things the same way. It gets even harder when two people are from different countries.

Whether or not there was a disagreement or not, there wasn't any reason to make personal attacks. The only thing I was trying to say was that I understood Liliara's viewpoint. She used the word that was provided. If someone outside of the US views our patriotism to a level that exceeds their own patriotism, so be it. Maybe from that perspective, it can be learned that the word is not the best word to describe us. That's all I was trying to say.

EDIT: Sorry, I kind of trailed off there. I totally agree with you, but sometimes people can get carried away in a discussion. That's how it felt to me, that things kind of got out of control there.

------------------

Protectorate of the OHF
Death Waits 4 U ALL

[This message has been edited by Tobbin (edited 09-15-2001).]
Old 09-15-2001, 03:41 AM   #73
KHaN
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Tobbin:
Whether or not there was a disagreement or not, there wasn't any reason to make personal attacks. The only thing I was trying to say was that I understood Liliara's viewpoint. She used the word that was provided. If someone outside of the US views our patriotism to a level that exceeds their own patriotism, so be it. Maybe from that perspective, it can be learned that the word is not the best word to describe us. That's all I was trying to say.
Yes she used a word that was provided. Did she understand that word? No I don't think so but I won't accuse her of anything less than being a blue blooded American. It was just that we get blamed for being hotheads (Flots word) and Lil proved her right with her post. I don't think we need to worry about patriotism here. Everyone around here seems to have a plentyfull supply of it.

------------------

"Heads are gonna roll..."
Old 09-15-2001, 03:45 AM   #74
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Yes she used a word that was provided. Did she understand that word? No I don't think so but I won't accuse her of anything less than being a blue blooded American. It was just that we get blamed for being hotheads (Flots word) and Lil proved her right with her post. I don't think we need to worry about patriotism here. Everyone around here seems to have a plentyfull supply of it.

To be honest with you, I took a bit of offense to the first time I saw the word too (Fjotsdale's explanation). But because I have been in a similar situation before (When I went to Copenhagen, Denmark), I kind of swallowed my initial response. Lil may have been a bit outgoing on her remark, but I don't think we should condemn or censor her for it.

------------------

Protectorate of the OHF
Death Waits 4 U ALL
Old 09-15-2001, 03:53 AM   #75
KHaN
Drow Warrior

Tobbin...why are you editing your post of my quote? I think we all just need to go outside and pick some flowers in a beautiful field and think about life and feel the warmth of the sun on our face right now. To bad it's 2:44am here and I'm at work bah.

------------------

Old 09-15-2001, 03:58 AM   #76
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Tobbin...why are you editing your post of my quote? I think we all just need to go outside and pick some flowers in a beautiful field and think about life and feel the warmth of the sun on our face right now. To bad it's 2:44am here and I'm at work bah.

I was editing because my statement wasn't complete. I wanted to let you know that I agreed with you. It's almost 4AM here, so in a couple of hours, I can check out the sun. *Even better since this tropical storm just came through and I didn't see it yesterday*

EDIT: Oh, ok. sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying. My eyes are a bit blurry is why I edited your quote. Sorry, I thought I was in a different section. I've corrected it though.

------------------

Protectorate of the OHF
Death Waits 4 U ALL

Old 09-15-2001, 04:16 AM   #77
KHaN
Drow Warrior

Quote:
I was editing because my statement wasn't complete. I wanted to let you know that I agreed with you. It's almost 4AM here, so in a couple of hours, I can check out the sun. *Even better since this tropical storm just came through and I didn't see it yesterday*

EDIT: Oh, ok. sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying. My eyes are a bit blurry is why I edited your quote. Sorry, I thought I was in a different section. I've corrected it though.

No big deal I was just curious about it that's all. If you are working the gravyard shift like me then I know how you feel. It's 3am here and I gotta work til 8am. blech!

------------------

Old 09-15-2001, 04:20 AM   #78
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
No big deal I was just curious about it that's all. If you are working the gravyard shift like me then I know how you feel. It's 3am here and I gotta work til 8am. blech!

LOL. Nope, actually, I'm glued to the TV at home. Can't sleep. It's starting to hit me. I have been holding a great deal back, but can't do that anymore. This is too close to my step-father dying. It's bringing a lot of memories back. I've seen a lot of death this year. My brother-in-law's brother died, then my grandma, then my step-father. My mom lost a leg and may lose another one. Plus she is getting kicked out of her house too. Things haven't been going that great lately. But I know things could be worse too. I could be dead.

------------------

Protectorate of the OHF
Death Waits 4 U ALL
Old 09-15-2001, 04:34 AM   #79
KHaN
Drow Warrior

Quote:
LOL. Nope, actually, I'm glued to the TV at home. Can't sleep. It's starting to hit me. I have been holding a great deal back, but can't do that anymore. This is too close to my step-father dying. It's bringing a lot of memories back. I've seen a lot of death this year. My brother-in-law's brother died, then my grandma, then my step-father. My mom lost a leg and may lose another one. Plus she is getting kicked out of her house too. Things haven't been going that great lately. But I know things could be worse too. I could be dead.
Man I really feel sorry for you! I wish I could say that I know what you are going through but in truth I have no idea. I lost one grandparent so far and I was in Korea and couldn't come home so it wasn't as hard on me. You have my sympathy...I hope that some happiness and joy enters your life soon, it seems to me that you and your family are long overdue.

------------------

Old 09-15-2001, 04:40 AM   #80
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Man I really feel sorry for you! I wish I could say that I know what you are going through but in truth I have no idea. I lost one grandparent so far and I was in Korea and couldn't come home so it wasn't as hard on me. You have my sympathy...I hope that some happiness and joy enters your life soon, it seems to me that you and your family are long overdue.

Thank you for your concern. My mom was married before and I had another step-father. I cared a great deal for him too. Back in 86, he died from lung cancer. You always think you will have another day. What really made it difficult for me though was that the Navy wouldn't let me go to his funeral. The next day, two sailors were flown off the ship because they had been caught together in a compromising position. They could fly them off without a moments thought, but I couldn't say good-bye to my step-father. He was closer to me than my real dad. They said that he wasn't family because he had not adopted me. It tore me apart. I still haven't fully dealt with that yet either, but I have grieved some. I'm always worried that I will let grief overwhelm me so I grab it and push it way down.

Edit: Oh, in case you didn't read an earlier post, I was on a ship at Edinburgh, Scotland at the time.

------------------

Protectorate of the OHF
Death Waits 4 U ALL