Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2002, 04:59 PM   #61
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
I'm not taking anything personally - Scout's honor (pun intended). In aAgain, I go back to asking why someone has to parade their sexuality in public. If you have a foot fetish - fine. But, don't make me listen to stories about it. I don't want to know how fine that guy who walked by is, whose d**k is biggest, nor what a marine looks like in Daisy Dukes and rainbow stripes.
Ok...time out. What in blazes is/are "Daisy Dukes"??? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 11-19-2002, 05:01 PM   #62
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
[Ok...time out. What in blazes is/are "Daisy Dukes"??? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

-Sazerac
I have no idea, and I lived in San Francisco for 12 years! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I think this is a clear case of don't ask, don't tell....

[ 11-19-2002, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: Rokenn ]
Old 11-19-2002, 05:04 PM   #63
Charean
Hathor

Question Mark

No matter how you slice it, such preferences should be private.

Unfortunately, when they are not they do lead to the situation of one person taking advantage of another. Speaking as someone on the receiving end of unwanted advances at work (mostly from men, but once from a woman superior), it is NEVER easy to work there.

Once you are pressured at work, it doesn't feel safe and your performance suffers. Even when you report it, there are times that you are not believed. Being older and wiser, I think I would have handled the situations differently now (and perhaps with an effective kick) - and thus, don't get into them in the first place.

As far as the military, I knew about quite a few. But they were pretty quiet about it. It was the only way they could survive there. (It was a Southern military base.)

It all boils down to discretion and common sense. And a serious lack thereof.
Old 11-19-2002, 05:06 PM   #64
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
T.L. You make great points! I REALLY want to know why Gays in my company NEED a special celebration "Coming Out" day in the work place DURING work hours? Why should any company have to subsidize someone announcing their sexual preference? And why does everyone have to know? Why do I have to know that Jared is gay? (well ok, I was already pretty sure...) Should I not then have a day for me to proclaim

I Like to Bang Chicks!

or some other equally obnoxious hetero slogan?
I have asked my gay friends about this and there answer is that every other day of the year is 'Hetrosexual Pride day'. Since the media pretty much screams 'I like to bang chicks' and other equally obnoxious hetro slogans every other day of the year.

Besides, my gay friends put on the best parties! Halloween on Castro St(the main 'gay' part of town) in San Francisco is a party and a half by any measure. Enjoyable by men/woman/straight/gay/bi/transgenered/etc...
Old 11-19-2002, 05:23 PM   #65
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Rokenn:
quote:
[Ok...time out. What in blazes is/are "Daisy Dukes"??? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

-Sazerac
I have no idea, and I lived in San Francisco for 12 years! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I think this is a clear case of don't ask, don't tell....
[/QUOTE]Daisy Dukes are those up-in-the-crack way-too-short cutoff denims that Diasy Duke drove us wild with when we were young.

I'm not the only one creating the term here - gangsta rappers have dedicated entire songs to Diasy Dukes.
Old 11-19-2002, 05:32 PM   #66
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Rokenn:
quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
T.L. You make great points! I REALLY want to know why Gays in my company NEED a special celebration "Coming Out" day in the work place DURING work hours? Why should any company have to subsidize someone announcing their sexual preference? And why does everyone have to know? Why do I have to know that Jared is gay? (well ok, I was already pretty sure...) Should I not then have a day for me to proclaim

I Like to Bang Chicks!

or some other equally obnoxious hetero slogan?
I have asked my gay friends about this and there answer is that every other day of the year is 'Hetrosexual Pride day'. Since the media pretty much screams 'I like to bang chicks' and other equally obnoxious hetro slogans every other day of the year.

Besides, my gay friends put on the best parties! Halloween on Castro St(the main 'gay' part of town) in San Francisco is a party and a half by any measure. Enjoyable by men/woman/straight/gay/bi/transgenered/etc...
[/QUOTE]Thats all well and good, but is compltely irrelevant to the work place. It does NOT belong in the work place, and if Hetero people were advertising sex in my department I would write them up. We conduct business we don't take a half day off work to parade around the room to tell everyone we are hetero or to draw attention to whatever our fetishes are....except now we do for gay and lesbian people (I thought Lesbians were gay but apparently not) because of some BS compliance that says we have to
allow Gay people and Gay people ONLY have a half day of company time to tell us all about it and a pot luck lunch. I just don't get it.

Old 11-19-2002, 05:36 PM   #67
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Well, even though I think they are absolutely unfair to the mainstream that never gets a day dedicated to it, I must say that I *love* workplaces where you get MLK day off, office gay pride parades, etc. Hell, if you don't enjoy the free time in the way they provide it, shut your office door and spend the afternoon on IWF!!! Call it "Timber Loftis Sucks Day" for all I care, just give me a day off.

Chicago has Pulaski Day, a Polish holiday. I wouldn't even have noticed, but my wife, who works for THE MAN, gets the day off. Go fig.

[ 11-19-2002, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 11-19-2002, 05:44 PM   #68
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by AzureWolf:
quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
Sorry to be pedantic, but that was the Thebans, not the Spartans. And then it was only a small, individual division of the Theban army, and they usually got their asses kicked [img]smile.gif[/img]
Actually I refute that comment [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Maybe the Thebans did it to an extent but the Spartans made it part of the daily life in their barracks. Almost part of their training you could say and yet not only did it not hamstring them in battle but the Spartans were by miles the strongest and most disciplined in Greece if not in history. Puts the early roman legionarres to shame.
[/QUOTE]Homosexuality among young males in the barracks yes. But it was quite shameful for grown male citizens (who had their own families to manage) to have homosexual relationships with one another. With slaves it wasn't such a problem as they simply didn't count as real people, but with other citizens, tut tut. [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2002, 06:18 PM   #69
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
quote:
I'm not taking anything personally - Scout's honor (pun intended). In aAgain, I go back to asking why someone has to parade their sexuality in public. If you have a foot fetish - fine. But, don't make me listen to stories about it. I don't want to know how fine that guy who walked by is, whose d**k is biggest, nor what a marine looks like in Daisy Dukes and rainbow stripes.
Ok...time out. What in blazes is/are "Daisy Dukes"??? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

-Sazerac
[/QUOTE]No worries, folks, I educated him on this one!
Old 11-19-2002, 06:36 PM   #70
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Daisy Dukes are those up-in-the-crack way-too-short cutoff denims that Diasy Duke drove us wild with when we were young.

I'm not the only one creating the term here - gangsta rappers have dedicated entire songs to Diasy Dukes.
Oh, then that accounts for it, LOL! I never watched "Dukes of Hazzard" and I don't listen to gangsta rap. But thanks for the explanation.

Er, yep, ahem *cough* Cloudy showed me a website that explained everything MOST adequately. [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/1dizzy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/showoff.gif[/img]

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."