Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2005, 02:12 PM   #61
Aragorn1
Symbol of Cyric

1. Wands are items not innate to the class and theerfore should not be taken into account

2. I take we are assume its a well built sorc. Otherwise this is pointless
Aragorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 05:09 PM   #62
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

Wands are items, yes, but they're there in the game. It's like a Fighter and his weapons. Are they part of the class? No.

Quote:
Personally speaking, early on in the game I never have enough money.
Let's see: Money for a solo Sorcerer/MC consists mainly, at least for me, of getting the Belt of Inertial Barrier, the Robe of Vecna, and the Amulet of Power. That's just early game. So... That costs maybe 50k with 20 Reputation (Reputation is easy to get: Circus Tent, Trademeet, Skin Flayer, Skin Flayer in Trademeet, returning the Helm in Trademeet, Neb, Paladin, Slavers, freeing the girl in the Slaver's ship- +9 Reputation right there, and you only have to do some fairly easy quests), Friends, and the Ring of Human Influence? Selling everything getting the 20 Reputation will net you at least that much with the quest rewards added on top.

Another thing: A C/M can hack through enemies, while not exactly as easily as a Fighter, still fairly well. IF you have Item Upgrade, a certain Club grants Grandmastery in Clubs, and if not, well, you'll have to be content with only FoA and Crom Faeyr (or another weapon). IH gives 4 ApR- plenty. You'll hit a lot with the extra strength bonus in the clerical buffs. While a Sorcerer is forced to either use MMM (and re-cast every 2 rounds), or plink away with a sling/staff/darts.

[ 03-31-2005, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: Assassin ]
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 08:06 PM   #63
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

How can the Sorcerer detect and remove traps?
Old 03-31-2005, 08:24 PM   #64
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Aragorn1:
I don't think race matters for a sorcerer as unlike iwd2, the stats don't actually matter in terms of the effectiveness of the class. Perhaps an elf for high dex for ac and missile weapons. Dwarf for high con and therefore durability?

Basically this debate is academic. A character is only as the person that controls it. The c/m the k/m and the sorc are devastating charcaters. Yes you can solo from the start IIRC. (i use dungeon be gone.)
I agree. Great post man!
Old 03-31-2005, 09:12 PM   #65
K2Grey
Dungeon Master

The Sorcerer deals with traps by using Spell Trap and Stoneskin and walking over them.
K2Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 09:24 PM   #66
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

I just use mirror-image usually, and Spell immunity if that fails
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
White Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 10:06 PM   #67
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Hmm, I've never used spell trap. How does that work? There will still be damage from magic traps that stoneskin won't stop.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:22 PM   #68
K2Grey
Dungeon Master

Stoneskin: Protects from physical traps, like the poisoned spears and arrows
Spell Trap: Protects from single target spells like Finger of Death, etc., usually comes from SotM
Mirror Image: Blocks the fireballs and so on
K2Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 11:32 PM   #69
mountain_hare

Quote:
Spell Trap: Protects from single target spells like Finger of Death, etc., usually comes from SotM
Minor spell turning, and spell turning, do the job far better. They also are VERY useful in sorcerer vs. mage or priest battles. Ever seen a flamestrike/call lightning being reflected back on its caster? Quite satisfying.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:07 AM   #70
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

Spell trap is useful in that it recharges your spells, in other words, lets you re-cast some of your spell slots.
Quote:
Originally posted by K2Grey:
Mirror Image: Blocks the fireballs and so on
Just a note, mirror image will block almost every trap (possibly every trap, its possible that the maze trap happened to hit me instead of an image 4 times in a row.... but not likely) The only problem with mirror image is that its a luck thing. you get 1 image for every two levels i believe, and there is always a chance that the spell/arrow/sword/whatever will completely miss the images and hit you.
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
White Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote