Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2006, 10:15 PM   #61
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Great work on the side-by-side comparisons, Luvian. Thanks.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:08 AM   #62
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Bah, personally I think comparing third person graphics with first person is a little bit 'apples and oranges'. Not that graphics bear very much weight in my game considerations anyway....
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:49 AM   #63
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
I didn't see anyone freaking out about the game looking similar.
Perhaps I should rephrase. Why is it an issue if they do or not? You said they do and I agree they do but then people are responding saying they aren't almost like it's a bad thing. Isn't it good if the graphics are nice? Or is it that people don't like the OBV graphics and wouldn't like these on NWN's? I am asking, is all.

[ 09-27-2006, 05:53 AM: Message edited by: SpiritWarrior ]
Old 09-27-2006, 09:28 AM   #64
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Ok im shocked.. there is no shifter class in NWN 2 noooooo.....

Quote:
Character Creation
Advanced character customization
Scaling of characters and monsters
Deeper equipment customization
Support for subraces
Portraits are removed and replaced with 3D avatars of the player, similar to KOTOR
All base classes from NWN
Addition of warlock base class
Confirmed that characters can choose up to 4 classes now instead of 3 (one is reserved for a prestige class)
All prestige classes from NWN except Shifter
Addition of the Arcane Trickster, Neverwinter nine, Shadow Thief of Amn, Warpriest, Duelist, Frenzied Berserker
Confirmed Champion of Torm renamed to Divine Champion
Confirmed Harper Scout renamed to Harper Agent
Level cap is 20th level
Support for many of the Forgotten Realms deities based on characters alignment, race and class
thats just a small list.. apparently you can have 3 companions now but still shifter has always been one of my faves

good info here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverwinter_Nights_2

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:48 PM   #65
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

At least the cap is level 20. I always thought level 40 was over the top and wasn't much in the spirit of dungeon and dragons. Sure there are rules for epic levels, but those are supposed to be rare, the greatest hero might get an epic level or two. Level 20 characters are supposed to be rare, but in NWN it seem everything is a level 40 demigod.
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:26 PM   #66
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

well lvl 40 came out with expansion of SOU and HOTU. perhaps they are going to do the same.

One thing that will be interesting though would be the choosing of your pretiege class when your limited to lvl 20

Catch me if you can..
Old 09-28-2006, 01:13 AM   #67
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I always felt like level 20 was just the beginning. Didn't the D&D PHB have level 40 as it's max? I thought anything past 40 was considered epic as far as the old core books went. I recall the old classic D&D sets only mapping chars out to 20 though.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:45 AM   #68
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

its really abit hard to increase the levels because experience comes with time with regular playing rulez. That is why Drizzt is not even lvl 20!!

Many who did the old Roll n Dice were happy to reach even lvl 5 after months of playing with mates.

Catch me if you can..
Old 09-28-2006, 05:35 PM   #69
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

The 2nd edition had progression up to level 20, level 20 being considered a great hero that could take on pretty much anything. Then they made a supplement book that created a system of rules for levels above 20, which I bought but never got to use, as my oldest campaign that was 2 and a half years old and we played every weekends only had players in the level 12-15 range.

Then in third edition, they added those epic rules in the base game. But they work a little differently from regular levels. Out of memory, epic levels don't give you more health, and they're not exactly called levels I think. Your sheet still said level 20 warrior for example, but then there was a second number for epic levels. Something like that.

20th level characters are supossed to be rare, these are the greatest heroes, Drizzt that in the Forgotten Realm is considered to be one of the greatest heroes was around level 12. So epic level characters are the heroes's heroes. That's the demigods realm and should be out of the reach of all but a tiny fraction of the the greatest heroes ever known to that world.

They raised the level cap in NWN because let's be honest, action rpg players really like to powergame and like big impressive numbers and kicking the crap out of everything, but that's not Dungeon and Dragons.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:28 PM   #70
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:

They raised the level cap in NWN because let's be honest, action rpg players really like to powergame and like big impressive numbers and kicking the crap out of everything, but that's not Dungeon and Dragons.
Yup, like in BG2, and can't say I don't agree with them.

Like Luvian said, it's not Dungeon and Dragons. Rules had to be twisted for CRPGs.