Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2002, 02:33 AM   #62
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by WillowIX:
[QB]So sorry farmers, learn to live with wolves killing your livestock or move! It´s that simple! QB]
HAHAHHA!

That has to be one of the silly things I have ever heard. How about I set up a tent outside your house sneak in an still food out fo your pantrey and tell you move or deal with it?

Let me tell you something, you would be surprised at how much predators cost farmers by killing there cattle. (Comign from someone who lives in Central Texas).

If you want my two cents on the issue, I dont think we should kill wolfs for the sake of killing them. I like wolfs, you will find my room filled with wolf pictures and calendars and all the goods.But to simpel let them waltz around and kill farmers livestock is ridculous. You people seem to be forgetting that THESE ARE THE PEOPLE THAT FEED YOU!

Of course there is no wolfs around here, but we have an abundant number of coyotes. I think these are pretty facnating creatures as well. I practicly live right next to them. They are, of course not as majestic as the wolf. But they are a constant threat to cattle raisers out here.

I think wolfs for the most part are harmless to humans. And the massacre that the US did in the early part of the century was wrong. But, maybe it was for the better actaully. If wolfs got to be too big of numbers, they would threaten the meat supply of humans.

Just imagine several wolf packs on the prowel every night looking to take down any avaliable cattle.

Of course thats not the way it is, as mentioned above, they mostly pick on the weak. But maybe because thats all they can pick on, if they numbers wear increased by say, 30% or so it might be worse.

I dont have exact numbers, so the 30% might not be that big of factor.

(BTWjinn did the Cannucks win their OT game?)
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 10-19-2002, 07:41 AM   #63
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Krustin:
You'd feel different if it was YOUR life or the lives of your children that were at risk. Wolf (and coyote) attacks are on the rise, and these things are dangerous.

The animals I hunt are a threat to society, many have no fear of people whatsoever.

Bear in mind, the coyote and wolf up here are much larger than in, say, Nevada.
Wolves would NOT attack humans unless rabid, starving or something else. So that's pure BS. Children, perhaps, if they wandered off into the woods and far into wolf territory, but I think that even children would be reasonably safe.[/QUOTE]UNTRUTH ALERT.

Wolves are wild, dangerous animals. I know several people personally who have been attacked by both wolf and coyote. (Confirmed by tracks)

One person in particular, would have had a dead wife if he hadn't just happened to arrive home at an unusual time. His wife was attacked leaving the car by wolves.

I don't go out looking for wolves to shoot - they come to me.
Old 10-19-2002, 07:44 AM   #64
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Well, Hunter, if wolves are "sharks with fur" how can it possibly be that several humans have actually LIVED with wolves for extended periods of time without being harmed, huh? Wouldn't they have been mercilessly attacked and devoured? Wolves do NOT attack humans unless it's for any of the reasons that I stated above.

Oh, and since we are apparently of the opinion that wolves should stay away from us lest we kill them, could we really complain if they ate those of us that ventured into their territory? It's pretty much the same idea.
Come on up here and live with the wolves. I dare you.
Old 10-19-2002, 07:48 AM   #65
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:

EDIT: and Neb is right...dog's have the potential to be more violent against man than wolves do.
The big difference between wolf and coyote (up here anyways) is wolves tend to be more fearful of humans. Coyote will walk right up to you with no fear.

But lately, even the wolves have been getting brazen...
Old 10-19-2002, 07:55 AM   #66
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

[quote]Originally posted by Neb:
Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
[qb]But see what you said? "Bad winters" humans can be every bit as vicious as wolves when starving, and as peaceful as bunnies when they've got a full belly [img]tongue.gif[/img] And why are the wolves starving? Because we wrecked their habitats! Guess we're only getting what's coming to us, then.
You know, this is the one thing that really gets me about this discussion. All these, lets call the group environmentalists, think we should just roll up our carpets and leave nature alone.

Read this slowly and understand it: JUST BY EXISTING WE INFLUENCE NATURE!

If you want nature to be left alone, lead the way: quit your job, burn your clothes, throw out all your technology (including the computer you read this message on), raze your house, then go out and live with nature.

By using all the technology and manufactured goods, using medical facilities, and eating McDonalds hamburgers, paying taxes, etc, you are singlehandedly supporting the eradication of said wolves.

Quote:

And I'm rather annoyed that you specified that "happy and nice" stuff as specified for Wicca groups. I happen to be a semi-Wiccan myself. Though I mainly follow the philosophy, and not the beliefs.
Hmm, that would explain a few things.

[ 10-19-2002, 07:56 AM: Message edited by: Sir Krustin ]
Old 10-19-2002, 07:58 AM   #67
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
In extension of Pritchke's post: Perhaps the wolves attacking the Siberian villages are Dog/Wolf hybrids? They are by far the the most vicious dog-like creatures in existence to the best of my memory. And they would bear enough of a resemblance to a wolf, I believe, that anyone being attacked by them would be fooled since he/she couldn't really double-check.
FALLACY ALERT. Dogs do not breed with wolves, wolves eat dogs.
Old 10-19-2002, 08:03 AM   #68
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by pritchke:
A good book based on a true story is "Never Cry Wolf" - Farlay Mowet. It is not a long read about 250 pgs or so and interesting. It will hopefully dispell some of the myths about that animal that some of us are so parinoid of, the wolf.
Just a comment, IMO Mowat anthropormphizes too much. There's some factual information there but I'm not impressed with some of his "facts"
Old 10-19-2002, 08:06 AM   #69
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
Coyotes are the least likely animal to attack people...I have spent many nights (over nearly two decades) out in the open desert with their "red" eyes in the background just watching as they circled wide around me to get to another part of the desert and have even heard a kill and feed (rabbit judging by the scream) close enough to hear the slurping noises that those feeding made and the whimpers of the pack members who were made to wait...while I sat out in the open nearby with a Phillie cheesesteak sandwich
Coyote up here are much larger than the coyote you have down in Texas, and they are definitely to fear. Most are as large as german shepherds.

Check here for some pics.

[ 10-19-2002, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: Sir Krustin ]
Old 10-19-2002, 08:07 AM   #70
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Krustin:
quote:
In extension of Pritchke's post: Perhaps the wolves attacking the Siberian villages are Dog/Wolf hybrids? They are by far the the most vicious dog-like creatures in existence to the best of my memory. And they would bear enough of a resemblance to a wolf, I believe, that anyone being attacked by them would be fooled since he/she couldn't really double-check.
FALLACY ALERT. Dogs do not breed with wolves, wolves eat dogs.[/QUOTE]TRUTH ALERT!

Then why the hell do dog/wolf hybrids exist? TELL ME THAT.