Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2003, 12:31 PM   #61
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaltia:
I had the pleasure of going to a concert at the Brixton academy only to discover I couldn't even see the bloody band because of the smoke. Not to mention I ended up coughing so hard I had to leave half-way through. Why? A couple right in front of me who didn't even look like they enjoyed the music were chain-smoking. Gits. I've had a cigerrette stubbed out on my mid-riff by my grandmother (whose cigerette caused a house-fire), leaving a circular scar. I've ended up, because of my asthma, having to go on a nebuliser once I've been in too much smoker's company. IMO, banning it is a good thing. Yeah, smokers have rights, but they also have homes.

So whats your reasoning for singling them out for special legislation? You had a bad experience so you judge everyone by the actions of specific people. For every person who stubbed their smoke out on you...there are millions who didn't.

Old 05-08-2003, 12:36 PM   #62
Kaltia
Jack Burton

MagiK, I am against those selfish smokers who don't realise that nobody else really wants to breathe in their crap, not all smokers.

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:40 PM   #63
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaltia:
MagiK, I am against those selfish smokers who don't realise that nobody else really wants to breathe in their crap, not all smokers.
Oh [img]smile.gif[/img] Okiedoke then [img]smile.gif[/img] I thought you were speaking out about all smokers (of which I am not one) [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-08-2003, 12:43 PM   #64
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Nah, I know plenty of smokers who are really sweet about it; warn us before they light up, inquire if anybody's asthmatic, step outside etc. I also know thirteen year olds who offer me a fiver to get them a new cigerette lighter.

That was the best chocolate gateau I ever bought with somebody else's money. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-08-2003, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Kaltia ]

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 05-08-2003, 05:24 PM   #65
Desdicado
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
quote:
Originally posted by Desdicado:
You're right there Wellard, just like the seatbelt law in the UK, people complained but it's saved thousands of lives.
This is also ignorant. It is fundamental that I own myself. Ergo, my life is mine to risk. [/QUOTE]Sorry timber loft, I was forgetting I am ignorant and you are always right about everything, pardon me i'm sure.

Perhaps the genuinely ignorant one is he who inflicts his poisonous fumes on those who don't have any choice but to breath them in?.

[ 05-08-2003, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: Desdicado ]
Old 05-08-2003, 06:31 PM   #66
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Desdicado:
Sorry timber loft, I was forgetting I am ignorant and you are always right about everything, pardon me i'm sure.
No worries, mate, just remember next time, okay? [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Actually, I meant the seatbelt law was ignorant. I didn't mean you were. Cheers.
Old 05-08-2003, 06:41 PM   #67
Blind_Prophet
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
Magik

We would also be free from the situation where you go into the cafe and there are no smokers, you order and start to eat just for some selfish how come its always the smoker that is selfish don't they have the right to smoke and enjoy themselfs or is the convience of the nonsmoker just to important addict to come in and start spreading his cancer!

regulations allow for cosistancy
Old 05-08-2003, 07:13 PM   #68
Desdicado
Zhentarim Guard

[quote]Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Quote:
No worries, mate, just remember next time, okay? [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Actually, I meant the seatbelt law was ignorant. I didn't mean you were. Cheers.
That's fine then TL, last thing I want is to carry over our War on Iraq disagreements to general conversation, or even worse the Baldurs Gate forum!.
Old 05-08-2003, 09:19 PM   #69
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I have to say that I don't think they should legislate it in "private clubs" but any place open to the public, I believe smoking should not be allowed. I have had lung problems due to parents smoking when I was little, chronic asthma and a damaged lung from a blood clot in it. I CANNOT BE AROUND CIGARETT SMOKE! It can set me off and I have sometimes been 6 to 8 weeks getting it back under control. I remember being at Walk Disney World waiting in line OUTSIDE with people smoking and just dying. I would have to get a Disney employee to ask the to not smoke. I agree that drinking does not affect other people unless you get violent or drive or something. I think my right to be well and healthy supercedes your right to make me sick. Why should I stay home? I am not doing anything. Sorry, you rights end when they endanger me. I have a right to be safe and healthy even if someone else doesn't want to.

[ 05-08-2003, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: Reeka ]
<b>Order of the Holy Flame</b><br /><i>Member of Clan HADB</i><br /><b>Laughing Hyena</b><br /><i>Clan Liaison, IW Peace Keeping Force</i><br /><i>[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com/Forum/index.php?board=29\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River VoiceChat!</a><br />Last Saturday of every month. <br />See the forum link for scheduling!<br /><b> </b><br /></i><br /><b>Admin and Co-Owner of [url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River</a></b><br />[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\"></a>
Old 05-08-2003, 10:02 PM   #70
Mordenheim
Elminster

This is my point

Damage due to drinking from health to innocent casulties is astounding. You drive to a bar get drunk and how do you get home? drive of course. It is not logical at all. Who is to say bars should not be shut down? Want to drink? do it at home. Tell all those families in pain everyday lost to a drunk driver who thought it was "just a couple of drinks". It is a danger to the public.

How long until this get's brought up?

This is my next point. Make bar's, places to eat, etc for people who do not smoke. No one forces anyone anywhere. By making smoking illegal in a place you discriminate. I will say it again : I do not smoke. I have never smoked. You start chipping away at freedom's for ANY reason you begin to unravel a fabric you don't want to. Part of life is dealing with crap. It is a thing called tolerance and it has worked for a long time. You talk about asthma well how about people start doing research on air, cancer, and other forms of toxins you breath every single day in the air. The same people crying about smoke buy gas guzzlers in droves and pollute MY air. They should be outlawed unless needed.

America has become very much a pc world. Say the wrong thing, do the wrong thing, walk the wrong way and watch out. It is becoming really sad. Why don't we do away with everything so then no one can be hurt. It should be left to the store owner period. If he want's to not allow something then great. This forced banning reeks of controlled discrimination. What am I talking about? we have people suing because they stuffed fat fast food down their childs throat and she amazingly got obese. Forgive me