Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2001, 05:19 PM   #61
Ziroc

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Of course she is! Cloudy's the reason I and a lot of the W&W'ers are here in the first place!

Actually, I'm impressed that we have enough broad-minded people here from a variety of faiths that can discuss such a topic without it descending to flame-war. Of course, I would imagine that radicals would tend to veer away from these types of boards by their very nature...
Of course, you Moderators and I "help" veer them away when they try to cause havoc.. (Ring a bell Memmster?)

Ziroc

Old 04-09-2001, 05:22 PM   #62
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Well then, I'd have to say these forums are probably the less stressful moderating jobs on the Internet!

Good work all the way around, Ziroc!

[This message has been edited by Sazerac (edited 04-09-2001).]
Old 04-09-2001, 07:07 PM   #63
Stealthy

I agree, these boards are superb and generally the conversations are both stimulating and flame-free. Dan and his team do a wonderful job, thanks again.

In Britain I haven't noticed the same religious bigotry which seems common in the states. I get strange looks somtimes, when I mention AD&D, but only because it is considered childish by the ignorant. I wish all devout people could be as open-minded and sensible as Cloudy about these issues, but the zealots of all faiths are luckily a minority, albeit a dangerous one.

------------------

My doctor told me to eat more, but all this spam hasn't helped.

Click here for the album site.

Shadow Mage of the OHF.

Funny Bone of the LH
Old 04-09-2001, 07:10 PM   #64
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

I don't know what is the problem with the US and religious intolerance. It doesn't seem to be as widespread in other parts of the world, Bosnia and Palestine notwithstanding...

I remember seeing a British comedy once that had a family of Americans in it. Everytime they were about to do something, they'd stop and pray. It even had them kneeling in the parking lot of a mall before going in. It's a ridiculous stereotype, I know, but how have we US'ers contributed to that stereotype? What does it say about us that that's how the rest of the world sees us?

Old 04-09-2001, 07:19 PM   #65
Stealthy

Sazerac, as a Brit I must say that we realise it is a minority, mainly from certain communities in the US who are overly zealous. Deep down we know that you are far to in love with yourselves to worship another

------------------

Shadow Mage of the OHF.

Funny Bone of the LH
Old 04-09-2001, 07:22 PM   #66
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Stealthy: One word:

ROFLMAO!!

That was a good one! And I know JUST who you mean, too!

Old 04-09-2001, 07:27 PM   #67
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I'm in the land of Southern Baptists. Quite a bunch they are. Last summer a very good friend of mine died. Good ole Brother Bruce scolded Dave (the deceased) and us (his friends). It was at least 95 degrees and he rambled on forever about how we were doomed, Daves in Hell( he actually said that),and tried to gain converts. Finally I had to pretend I was back in bootcamp and just put my mind in neutral. Nobody made a scene but it was close. Yes quite an experience that asshole gave us.
Old 04-09-2001, 07:30 PM   #68
Stealthy

Thanks Sazerac, hoped you got the joke . I notice sometimes humour doesn't always travel and misunderstandings can occur. Happened here a few times, but luckily it was always resolved before any serious damage was done.

I remeber on the old BG2 board, one idiot started flaming the USA in general, as if all were to blame for political issues. How you can treat an entire country as one eludes me. For starters I am Spanish by blood and was born in England. How could anyone pigeon-hole me as English, as often happens because of my accent? I actually feel Spanish, mainly because of bullying at school, since I was the only foreigner in a school of 800. It made me stand up all the more for 'my' country and has turned me away from England, which is sad. Not that I am anti-english, but in any competion I always root for Spain!

------------------

Shadow Mage of the OHF.

Funny Bone of the LH

[This message has been edited by Stealthy (edited 04-09-2001).]
Old 04-09-2001, 07:38 PM   #69
slackerboy
Gold Dragon

i'll post my thoughts on the topic soon. i just need some time to compose my thoughts so i dont come across sounding like an idiot. this is something i feal very strongly about.

------------------

*Lord of the Screen Shot*
Old 04-09-2001, 07:38 PM   #70
Stealthy

LofA amongst baptists? I would have paid to see that!
Quote:
I'm in the land of Southern Baptists. Quite a bunch they are. Last summer a very good friend of mine died. Good ole Brother Bruce scolded Dave (the deceased) and us (his friends). It was at least 95 degrees and he rambled on forever about how we were doomed, Daves in Hell( he actually said that),and tried to gain converts. Finally I had to pretend I was back in bootcamp and just put my mind in neutral. Nobody made a scene but it was close. Yes quite an experience that asshole gave us.
The thing is if you speak up against religious bigotry, you always come across as the villain. You did the right thing, but I am afraid I tend to speak my mind too much and would have probably caused a scene.

------------------

Shadow Mage of the OHF.

Funny Bone of the LH