Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2002, 11:48 PM   #61
Gabriel
Emerald Dragon

Thank you Dagorion I have read a some of what is contained in the site and some question have sprung to mind but I shall think on it more.

Thank you again for bringing this religion to my attention.
Old 11-10-2002, 02:45 AM   #62
whacky
Emerald Dragon

I wont force on anyone whether God exists or not, i believe he does that all that matters to me, as i said before never underestimate the power of faith [img]smile.gif[/img]

And for the matter of religion, you just choose the one that makes the most sense to you, again i must indeed prees upon the fact that faith and science should complement each other not contradict, a contradiction only serves to weaken both [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2002, 05:31 AM   #63
Djinn Raffo
Ra

You pointed out some of the things those religions do not have in common with your own Yorick.. though i'll bet one of things they do have in common is the faith of their adherents.
Old 11-10-2002, 06:05 AM   #64
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by whacky:
I wont force on anyone whether God exists or not, i believe he does that all that matters to me, as i said before never underestimate the power of faith [img]smile.gif[/img]

And for the matter of religion, you just choose the one that makes the most sense to you, again i must indeed prees upon the fact that faith and science should complement each other not contradict, a contradiction only serves to weaken both [img]smile.gif[/img]
The lower paragraph is exactly my sentiments whacky. Although I´d put it "you choose the one that matches your believes" since no religion I´m familiar with makes sense lol. But I don´t see why contadiction is a problem? That brings debates, which brings more interest for both subjects.

Now I don´t believe God exists, though religion is a marvellous thing (not so much for the religious matter but for the social). And why I don´t believe She(tihi) exists well mainly because 1) Earth has been around a couple of billions of years longer than when God created it 2) I could never understand a God who lets children die.

I´m reminded of a quote but I can´t remember who said it. Now I think this may be offensive to believers but this is not my words I just think they may have a point (albeit a small one) AND I´m not here to offend [img]smile.gif[/img]
Quote:
God made two mistakes that makes him an impossible leader. First of all he created the devil. Then he made an even bigger mistake and created man
I kinda likie that quote. Don´t really know why though [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2002, 11:24 AM   #65
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Math and god are one in the same. Neither exist in the physical world and both exist in the minds of humanity. 5 is a number.Numbers are what math is made of but it is called many diffrent things. Five,cinco,cinq,funf, but whatever you call it is is still 5. God is very similar, weather it is called Budda,Jesus,Allah , it is still the same thing. An expression of the divine fit to meet a persons needs. You cant go to the store and buy a "5" just like you cant go out and see a "god". Unless god pulls the trick he did in Monty Python and parts the clouds to speak no one can realy prove his existance. The same can be said for numbers. THeir relative value is determined by the significance humanity gives them. You can change five to Rammalammadingdong and make the symbol into this"#" but that doesnt change how many fingers are on your hand.Same thing with god. You can call it whatever and express it how ever but that doesnt change its basic nature.
Old 11-10-2002, 11:41 AM   #66
Sigmar
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally posted by Dagorion:
Is it just me who has a problem with people coming up with mathematical *theories* on how the universe was created and the human race came to be (But not actually being able to prove it in practice) and then saying "God cant exist because to have created the entire universe He (Read: A supreme being of mind-boggling knowledge and power ) would have had to do something that *we* cant do so therefore he cant exist!" Yes that’s right, people are coming up with theories and creating things that previously didn’t exist like an 11th DIMENSION(!) to explain things they cant possibly prove wrong with any form of non-confusing maths jargon that actually makes sense!

Anyway, what do you think about all this? (If it actually made sense...)
*shrugs shoulders*

All I know is that Homer Simpson proved God doesn't exist with a maths equation...how can he be wrong?

[img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2002, 11:48 AM   #67
Eisenschwarz

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hunter of Jahanna:
Math and god are one in the same. Neither exist in the physical world and both exist in the minds of humanity. 5 is a number.Numbers are what math is made of but it is called many diffrent things. Five,cinco,cinq,funf, but whatever you call it is is still 5. God is very similar, weather it is called Budda,Jesus,Allah , it is still the same thing. An expression of the divine fit to meet a persons needs. You cant go to the store and buy a "5" just like you cant go out and see a "god". Unless god pulls the trick he did in Monty Python and parts the clouds to speak no one can realy prove his existance. The same can be said for numbers. THeir relative value is determined by the significance humanity gives them. You can change five to Rammalammadingdong and make the symbol into this"#" but that doesnt change how many fingers are on your hand.Same thing with god. You can call it whatever and express it how ever but that doesnt change its basic nature.
Yes, A most pertinent Point.
hen it comes down to it, It is purely a matter of Faith,
Since Faith in a god presumes that which you might seek to prove, Thus since you presuppose the answer, you cannot prove that god exists.

Old 11-10-2002, 01:49 PM   #68
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hunter of Jahanna:
I'd argue that both exist outside the human mind. Do humans invent equations or discover them?

No one can prove anything doesn't exist. To do so you'd have to experience all there is to experience throughout history.

ALl you can ever say is "I've never experienced this" or "I've experienced that".

Well, I perpetually experience God. That is my reality, my truth and my experience and no-one short of living my life can prove me wrong. Neither is it for me to prove God exists to anyone. God is not an ideology or rationale that has to be defended. He is not a theory that must be proven. He simply IS. We have, I have, the choice to reject him, ignore him, seek him out, attempt to rationalise and understand him or simply love him as he loves me.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 11-10-2002, 01:52 PM   #69
Mellagar

Man realizes that he thinks therefore he exists, he becomes his own creator by thought and God disappears in a poof of logic. See how easy that is?
Here's a mathematical formula:

God + Faith = Control of Masses / Number of believers * Those who might believe - Those who can think for themselves = Over two billion who think god exists and adhere to his imginary laws of virtue and life. And in decimal form equals the small handful who are capable thinking for themselves and do not need some prodigal son, or epic spiritual creation to tell them they need to eat, sleep, bath, speak, and live a certain way.

Think about this for a moment everyone. You are living in the 21st century, yet you believe in something that was popular during a time when people drank from the same water camels bathed in. Also, when christianity became popular the literacy rate was about as low as Alabama's, but much worse. The notion of Jesus......here we have a carpenter....now his wife comes up him and says she is carrying God's baby? For those men who are married, how many of you would belive your wife if she told you this? Jesus, when he is much older goes from 12 to 35....he stays around prostitutes during the most hormonal period in his life and you want to tell me he wasn't doing anything? IT GET'S PRETTY DULL IN THE DESERT...NOT A LOT TO DO.
Religion was a way to control the rioting masses over 2,000 years ago. But if people need reassurance that the world is wonderful and there is a special place for them all, then I suppose religion will stay, which I have no doubts that it will.
One last thing. God created the universe, and everything. What created god? Occam's Razor says that usually and most likely the simplest answer is usually the correct answer. Could it be that someone, like Homer and the Illiad, created one of the greatest mythical stories in a time when people were illiterate and wanted something to believe in, were told this grand story by writers who saw a way of controlling the masses. Perhaps the writers of the Bible were the first fantasy book cult, just like the Tolkein cults out there. How many of you believe Frodo is the massiah, and Gandalf is Moses? Because that's about how much sense it all makes.

As I have heard it said before: "Religion is poison."
Old 11-10-2002, 01:57 PM   #70
Steve Fox
Banned Troll
Drow Warrior

He may not exist mathimatically but he exists scientificly,the big bang that created the universe was made up of different atoms at a certain time in a certain place either it was a giant coincidence or there is a guy named God who shares a flat with the Devil and Bob