Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2002, 01:24 PM   #61
fable
Quintesson

quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
If its for me make it a short one [img]smile.gif[/img] I dont ascribe to any of the discussed religions [img]smile.gif[/img] I have my own faith that works for me and me alone. It is between me and my maker [img]smile.gif[/img]

And that's as it should be. [img]smile.gif[/img]

...and Im not really going to do a whole theology study but I am up for some light reading [img]smile.gif[/img]

I guess that depends on a person's definition of light reading. My definition includes Braudels' 3-volume Civilization and Capitalism in the 15th-18th Centuries, so it might be kinda suspect. But if you just want to find out a little bit about witchcraft, I suggest the excellent Witchcraft Today series from Llewellyn Press. It's written for serious witches, so there's no "fairies and unicorns, my sisters!" stuff, and no attempt to portray the Craft (as we call it) in a false, halo'd light. The articles are done by a variety of good writers who sometimes contradict one another, but always involve good research and fairly centrist opinions. They're in paperback, which means they're cheap, too. The first volume is about the modern Craft movement, and that's as good a book to read as any.

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: fable ]

Old 01-18-2002, 02:17 PM   #62
Durwyn
Elminster

quote:
Originally posted by Garnet FalconDance:

Durwyn,

Benefit of the doubt----see the above snippet from my original post to this thread.

The reason I said this was because of the common perception that witches have a mad love affair going with the 'devil' and so that folks would know from the outset this was *NOT* part of the paganism/witchcraft package.

If you care to peruse the remainder of this thread, you would notice several more pertinent points which might alleviate your misunderstanding.

Cerek, darlin'.....long time, no talk. I promise not to Baptist bash, ok? [img]smile.gif[/img] as long as we keep the green face/warts on the chin comments to a minimum.

And Satanism is actually (documented fact, folks) a cult of Christianity.

Cult of Christianity... indeed, it was made to make a big point, that there is right, and there is wrong. To make Christianity a religion with a point, to be "right" or to put in a better term I suppose, good.

So what is the point of Paganism? Or what it is being a pagan, what are the beliefs? rituals? etc.
Old 01-18-2002, 06:29 PM   #63
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

quote:
Originally posted by fable:

I'm sure they all quake at the sound of your name.

Do you agree that at least some religions as practiced infuse a sense of community, the importance of the group over the interests of the few, and the values of being ecologically friendly? Assuming that's so, what's "useless" about such worship? [img]smile.gif[/img]

But THEY do quake in fear at my name [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]

Its not the worthlessness of religion itself persay(sp?) but the time spent praying/going to church etc that could be better spent doing other things. Religious morals I have almost no quarral with so yes I do agree
Old 01-18-2002, 06:43 PM   #64
fable
Quintesson

quote:
Originally posted by AzureWolf:
Its not the worthlessness of religion itself persay(sp?) but the time spent praying/going to church etc that could be better spent doing other things.

Prayer has in scientific studies has been shown to furnish beneficial effects on the health of the human body and mind. Even though you feel that it is wasted effort in terms of its goal, it would appear that the side benefits are genuine. And unlike buying the latest model car, prayer doesn't seem to wear out, much less require an oil change every sixty thousand miles. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Religious morals I have almost no quarral with so yes I do agree

As to that, I'm not claiming one thing or the other. Morality is a word that can mean two dozen different things; I was only questioning your statement concerning the uselessness of religion. It would appear you meant the uselessness of prayer, but even that is compromised.

Besides, don't you think religion is a lot more than prayer? In my religion, I attempt to grow wiser by understanding the cycle of nature, and the nature of humanity. I seek to heal others, and heal myself. I try to give back to the world some of the beauty that the world has given to me. Even if you find these goals hysterical--and I'm not saying you do--perhaps you'll agree with me that they're a lot more laudable than watching television, arguing over sports events, or trying to find a way to market a product that nobody needs.
Old 01-18-2002, 06:52 PM   #65
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

No offense to anyone else's religion, but I've never found any organized religion that was anywhere near something I can fully believe in. I mean I feel there are some really good parts to a lot of different religions, but is there one that Ive found to be completely true for me? Absolutely not. No matter what religion you please don't take offense to this. What is the truth for you does not make it the truth for everyone. I just feel the need to question and analyze everything. Don't get me wrong I believe in something, just not something that can be defined by any religion that currently exists. And thats all I am going to say right now on the topic of religion.
Old 01-18-2002, 09:05 PM   #66
Blade
Emerald Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Durwyn:

Cult of Christianity... indeed, it was made to make a big point, that there is right, and there is wrong. To make Christianity a religion with a point, to be "right" or to put in a better term I suppose, good.

So what is the point of Paganism? Or what it is being a pagan, what are the beliefs? rituals? etc.

Lets see here the point of paganism is the same as anyother religion and the rituals and beliefs change from person to person and religion to religion. But all of them generaly warship more than one god, and all or most of them anyway warship nature in some way, and i know people from several different pegan religions.

NOW back to the original topic, how you people got so far off it i really don't know and i just read all three pages. I myself used to be a athiest but i started reading to just learn more about other relifions and i came to realize the beliefs i have held for many years are the same beliefs of the wiccan religion so i am slowly learning about the wheel and magick just have to find the time to sit down and throuly try and read more.
Old 01-18-2002, 09:06 PM   #67
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Well I'm a Christian. I believe in God and in Jesus. Ever since I can remember I have never felt alone, even when I'm physically "alone." I feel a prescence always there around me, and of course I was brought up as a kid to believe in God and Jesus. But again, even before then, I think I already believed.

I realize that there are many people with different beliefs and backgrounds, and never will I judge them because of said beliefs or backgrounds. I know a good person when I see one, and what they believe in religious or non-religious doesn't matter to me. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 01-18-2002, 09:27 PM   #68
Durwyn
Elminster

I can totally relate to you Lady [img]smile.gif[/img] . I too am a Christian. And generally, I am a lonley person, I have few good friends in the place where I live, but not many. And whenever I am alone, I never really feel sad, I always feel a warmth present to my right as my guardian angel. Weird, but I can relate [img]smile.gif[/img] .
Old 01-18-2002, 10:45 PM   #69
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

quote:
Originally posted by AzureWolf:

Its not the worthlessness of religion itself persay(sp?) but the time spent praying/going to church etc that could be better spent doing other things. Religious morals I have almost no quarral with so yes I do agree

AzureWolf,

Here is a (hopefully) brief account of how useful prayer can be.

I have a chronic illness which has led to 3 major surgeries. The last surgery was literally a matter of life and death. I should have been taken straight to the Operating Room when I went into the hospital, but a combination of events led to me being transferred to another hospital and my surgery being delayed for 30 hours.

When the surgeon finally came out, he asked my wife and mother (who had made the trip to the other hospital) if they believed in miracles. They both responded with a resounding YES.

"That's good", he said, "because a miracle is the ONLY thing that will save him now. Personally, I don't expect him to survive past the next 72 hours".

I later learned that, not only had my mom asked everyone in the waiting room to pray for me right then, but back home (in my rural town) almost every single church in my home county had a prayer chain going (that means that the members of these churches left their homes and went to the church on Monday night specifically to pray for God to spare me. Most of these people didn't even know me, they had heard about my condition from friends or relatives.

When Christians pray fervently, God DOES listen. On that Monday night, 4 years ago, I can safely say that at least 2/3 of the Christians in my home-town area were on their knees praying for my life.

[img]graemlins/angel.gif[/img] IT WORKED! [img]graemlins/angel.gif[/img]

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: Cerek the Barbaric ]

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: Cerek the Barbaric ]

Old 01-18-2002, 11:01 PM   #70
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Durwyn:
I can totally relate to you Lady [img]smile.gif[/img] . I too am a Christian. And generally, I am a lonley person, I have few good friends in the place where I live, but not many. And whenever I am alone, I never really feel sad, I always feel a warmth present to my right as my guardian angel. Weird, but I can relate [img]smile.gif[/img] .

[img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] Well you know when you are here with us on this board, you are not alone at all [img]smile.gif[/img] Your are within a family derived from all sorts of people, all different ages and beliefs, all living in different places all over the world. What a way to connect with humanity [img]smile.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps