Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2001, 06:47 AM   #61
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Davros is in fine form here.

Let's say for example that there was a Wild Colonials team made up of southern hemisphere rugby nations to take on the British Isles and Irish Unions - who would your team be?

------------------
Old 07-17-2001, 02:02 PM   #62
Psychedelic Buttafly
Zhentarim Guard

I still like you donut Ijust hate the English as a whole!!!! Sorry its in my blood!!! But dont worry we can unite and join forces on the board if you like?????

------------------
Old 07-17-2001, 04:31 PM   #63
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

Right, finally I get to a computer. (Some idiot introduced my sister to Baldurs Gate , and no Davros I couldn't have got to another computer over the weekend even if I tried).

Firstly - Well done to the Wallabies (on beating the worlds best team )

Damn good game, it's not often such a big event lives up to it's billing. Shame either team had to loose that one (I would say that being a Lions supporter), I was on the edge of my seat right up until the end. It's a pity we have to wait 12 years to get our revenge, oh well as long as we don't have to wait 102, (though the ashes looks like it might take that long to get back).

(I believe Donut got 80 points on his spread bet - bookies know the game too well).

I think the captains comments summed the series up best; basically nothing between the sides except for the lineouts. As for Healy (and Woodward now), both taking about things they know little about and almost spoilt the whole spirit. However, Australians have had a few; "One explanation is that England exported its best genetic stock with the First Fleet".

PB; as for English arrogance, I think it's often more ignorance, though it's not always the English (see comment by Aussie press above). Half my realtives are Scottish (I'm not myself) so I know how much it means to a lot of Scots. As for the 4 home teams coming together once every 4 years I think it should go on; 400 million people watched the second test, who knows how many for the third (I heard the viewing figures in Australia where the biggest for any Rugby Match/Aussie rules ever). This is far far more than would have watched the 4 seperate teams play in 4 different countries - there is just something about the Lions...

Back to sport - The world swimming championships start this week. No ones mentioned these before, so I assume no one cares much.

EDIT Memnoch - The Mirror prestigious?!?!?!?!!?!??!?!?

[This message has been edited by Staralfur (edited 07-17-2001).]
Old 07-17-2001, 04:37 PM   #64
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Let's say for example that there was a Wild Colonials team made up of southern hemisphere rugby nations to take on the British Isles and Irish Unions - who would your team be?

There was talk of a Northern vs Southern Hemisphere annual battle. It was disregarded almost straight away by most RFUs as it adds another fixture to an already full fixture (particuarly in the NH - most of the Lions players were well into their 11 month of this season). Also its needs to much time to prepare for - a team is not going to gel straight away, and how do you have any practice matches?
Old 07-17-2001, 04:38 PM   #65
Psychedelic Buttafly
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Staralfur:
(I would say that being a Lions supporter), I was on the edge of my seat right up until the end.

A fellow lions supporter!!!!cool!!!!There quite rare these days!!!:grin:

------------------
Old 07-17-2001, 04:41 PM   #66
Psychedelic Buttafly
Zhentarim Guard

But at least I am going on holidays in 2 days!!! I could try a bit of underage drinking and drown my sorrows and completely forget about the whole British Lions tour!!!

------------------
Old 07-17-2001, 04:50 PM   #67
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Psychedelic Buttafly:
A fellow lions supporter!!!!cool!!!!There quite rare these days!!!:grin

Looking forward to the next tour already see you there.

Quote:
Originally posted by Psychedelic Buttafly:
I could try...drinking and drown my sorrows and completely forget about the whole British Lions tour!!!
Did that on Saturday - Started at around 10am in the pub (not strictly legal but the landlord didn't seem to mind as he was at it himself), finished 4am the next morning with a bottle of *ahem* Fosters (There was nothing else left to drink). I wouldn't advocate underage drinking though - not unless you can get away with it.
Old 07-17-2001, 11:28 PM   #68
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Staralfur:

EDIT Memnoch - The Mirror prestigious?!?!?!?!!?!??!?!?

[This message has been edited by Staralfur (edited 07-17-2001).]
Hehe - I was waiting for someone to comment about that!

In all seriousness, I thought the game was one of the best I'd seen in terms of suspense. It was up for grabs until the very end. The Lions are a brilliant team and I reckon they would have beat just about anyone else last Sunday. In the end it was all about who handled the pressure and the occasion better and the Wallabies were more composed and professional under pressure.

Bring on the All Blacks and the Springboks in the Tri-Nations. We're ready.

------------------
Old 07-18-2001, 09:19 AM   #69
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Nice to hear from you again Staraflur , I was beginning to think you had dropped off the face of the planet. Good to have you back - and tomorrow it starts all over again. Ashes cricket from 7:00 pm, and the Open Championship from 6:30 pm. Better stock the fridge with drinks, and get in a few nibblies - looks like it's going to be a long couple of nights,and a red hot remote control . Glad to hear you enjoyed the Rugby - great series - pity we have to wait another 12 years .

------------------
Old 07-18-2001, 10:13 AM   #70
Bhaal
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Whats this a rugby topic? Bring on the Tri-Nations with the All Blacks looking fired up this season it should be a ripper! On the Aussies for toppling the Lions.