Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2004, 08:43 AM   #61
Smoothie
Manshoon

There is no proof whatsoever that circumcision prevents infections. Being clean prevents infection.

That being said, I chose to have my son circumcised for social ramifications. Almost all boys in America are circumcized and those who are not are looked at as the odd man out. Especially among women. I myself prefer the look of a circumcized one to a non. That being said, is it abuse, I don't think so, but it does cause pain. It is just do you want physical pain early in life, or mental pain later in life in my opinion.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:44 AM   #62
Smoothie
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Smoothie:
There is no proof whatsoever that circumcision prevents infections. Being clean prevents infection.

That being said, I chose to have my son circumcised for social ramifications. Almost all boys in America are circumcized and those who are not are looked at as the odd man out. Especially among women. I myself prefer the look of a circumcized one to a non. Is it abuse?, I don't think so, but it does cause pain, so does being born. It is just do you want physical pain early in life, or mental pain later in life in my opinion.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:51 AM   #63
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Thanks for posting the second article Hark, now we have both sides of the story. It's amazing how much the two articles differ. Damn, why is life so complicated?? Heh. Anyway, if I ever have a son I doubt I'll be getting him circumcised.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:46 AM   #64
Stratos
Vampire

Smoothie, why did you quote yourself and then posted it?
Old 06-08-2004, 10:04 AM   #65
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

look at it like this, if you have a son, he is in the hospital, unable to bathe, do to different problems, or say he is in a body cast, how will he bathe then? not trying to say it is right or wrong, just putting my thoughts on this, see when my son was born, as stated before, he could not be touched for the first few months of his life, his skin was so thin, it would tear, so I still stand by my decision to have him done, but I do belive that there are times it should not be done as well, only if thereis medical reasons should one consider it, but that is just my thoughts on it

[ 06-08-2004, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: Stormymystic ]
Old 06-08-2004, 10:15 AM   #66
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Just as with abortion I am pro choice - the choice of the parents. Kid is too young when the choice should be made - parent's choice - simple.

Who can say they had it done at an early age and suffered any trauma? I have childhood memories of disliking needles (injections), and of the time I put a fork through my foot. No trauma at all about joining the helmet club - just a surprise when I got older to realise that the world was full of the have's and the have not's .

Is it mutilation and abuse - not in my opinion. Should it be stopped - no. Should it be mandatory - no. Should the parents have freedom to choose - yes. I don't see why either camp should feel the need to force their thoughts, opinions, and justifications on the other.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:25 AM   #67
Smoothie.
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Stratos:
Smoothie, why did you quote yourself and then posted it?
I really wanted to make my point. LOL, just a mistake, I dont' even know how I did it. Must not have had enough coffee yet.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:36 AM   #68
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
Is it mutilation and abuse - not in my opinion. Should it be stopped - no. Should it be mandatory - no. Should the parents have freedom to choose - yes. I don't see why either camp should feel the need to force their thoughts, opinions, and justifications on the other.
reminds me of abortion.. but lets not go there shall we?.. i was thinking out loud

Catch me if you can..
Old 06-08-2004, 11:50 AM   #69
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by quietman1920:

Ziroc, might this thread be moved to 'current events'?
43 years ago isn't current in my eye's, or any other part of my body for that matter [img]smile.gif[/img]

But if Z want's to make that choice, it'll be no skin off my nose [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 06-08-2004, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: Lanesra ]
Old 06-08-2004, 12:06 PM   #70
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
Just as with abortion I am pro choice - the choice of the parents. Kid is too young when the choice should be made - parent's choice - simple.
Ouch! The kid is too young to decide whether they can live or not? So the parents are allowed to decide they should die? How is that right?

As for circumcision, I'm one. I'm glad my folks did it. Not pain memory for me. Works great, feels great. Stays clean so that... it get's certain attentions.

Jews had it done to mark themselves as "Gods people". I respect that. If they want to do it. The diff between male and female circumcision is HUGE. Female circumcision removes the labia and clitorus. That means, some women never have an orgasm. Pretty substancial difference.

As to abuse, there are plenty of things that parents need to do with children because they don't have the undertanding. Plenty of things which, if you were an adult would be horrific.

1.Forced down and having your arse wiped
2.Held in a chair and force-fed
3.Left in a bed with bars and distracting dangly noisy objects
4.Hit on the arse
5.Physically prevented (carried) from doing what you want, going where you want, eating what you want, or countless other things.

Children are not little adults. Adults make decisions about their children which impact how the child ends up - better or worse. Circumcision happens to be a physical and clearly visable choice. Harder to see are the myriad emotional, mental and behaviourable choice which yes, scar a person for life.

You parents screw you up, and you spend the rest of your life getting over it.

But what parent is perfect?

http://www.hughwilson.com