Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2002, 03:32 PM   #51
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

I always spell correctly. I'm the best man on the face of the earth.
Old 06-03-2002, 03:49 PM   #52
Legolas
Jack Burton

It's very easy to remember how to spell his name. Let me tell you a little story from the days when the boards were still blue and people couldn't buy they toothbrushes and motherboards in the same store.

Before we start, I'd like to inform you all that I have changed the names to protect the innocent, guilty and everything between.
For example, Hugh is now called Jim.

It was a warm and sunny day in the Netherlands, when Paul sat outside in his grandfathers rocking-chair. He liked the way it creaked whenever he threw his weight backward, and the thrill of the chair pushing his body forwards was more exiting than any rollercoaster (the only rollercoasters in those days are what we now call slides. Safety first.)
Paul liked it here in the north. There were no annoying cars to be heard and he could wear his wooden shoes without anyone looking at him strangely. His shoes were the tourist kind, bright red with a cute floral pattern in pinks and whites and blues. Anyway, as he was sitting there, the rocking chair just beginning yet another forward motion, something caught his eye. It was gone almost immediately, but when the chair rocked some more he could see it again; the sunlight reflecting on the surface of the water.
Paul decided it would be a good day to go fishing, and quickly grabbed his grandmotehr's walking stick and the clothesline as he ran towards the wet substance near the horizon.
Of course, Paul didn't know the second thing about fishing (He did know the first. He brought the stick and line, remember?) and with his simple makeshift rod he couldn't catch a thing. But then somehting odd happened. Although there was no wind, the bushes to his side started to move. And then, a humanoid shape stepped through. Paul was so scared he dropped his rod and started running back to the farm.

"Don't be afraid mate. My nose won't bite."

Paul slowed a little until he found a suitable tree to hide behind. No doubt this creature had bewitched him so he couldn't catch any fish!

"Stay back fiend! I won't trust you."

The human-like figure pondered this a moment before picking up the rod. His rod. Angered, Paul stepped clear from the tree and waved his hands.

"Stand clear! I know Déja-vu!"

The creature, obviously not impressed, looked back at Paul.

"You wanna learn to fish?"

Paul lowered his hands.

"Well... yes."

"Good on ya mate. I'm Jim. I'll show you how ta fish."

And Jim had brought his fishing kit along, complete with net and a big pot of worms.

From that day on, Paul and Jim became very close friends.

It was some time later that Paul was forced to move south with his family, to the big city. But he vowed to Jim they would keep in touch. And so they had.

The new home brought with it an internet connection. Paul, blue being his favourite colour, wasted no time to find what is known as the Ironworks. But although he was completely addicted to the net, he could never quite forget Jim. Paul kept sending Jim simple letters, no E-mail or anything but just paper with something people called a stamp (the older works in most libraries will still provide some more detailed information on this outdated invention. Put simply, a stamp was a coloured picture which was used to bribe people into delivering the letter to the addressee. Look up mailman for more info on that).

Unfortunately for Paul, Jim only recieved his first message, saying he'd discovered a new and better world and that he was known there as Rikard. Heartbroken, Jim left the Netherlands and travelled to other places on this globe.

Yet, one day, Jim decided to plunge into this new world his old friend had told him about himself. Being friends, they liked the same colour (and Paul had written the URL in his letter, too) and so it was no surprise Jim too discovered the Ironworks. He looked around a bit and spotted his friend, a mage named Rikard. Overjoyed, Jim signed up.

But he was new to the internet, and instead of his login name he typed his first message. And so it was that not only Rikard had joined, but also Yo-Rik or Yorik.

Welcome, Yorik [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-03-2002, 04:17 PM   #53
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

It all makes sense, Leggless. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-03-2002, 04:26 PM   #54
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Oh come on now, we all know that that tale is a complete fictitious falsoty Legoflamb!!
Old 06-03-2002, 05:21 PM   #55
Legolas
Jack Burton

You don't know son, you weren't there!

Then again, neither was I...

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Old 06-03-2002, 06:04 PM   #56
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
that was quite a story, except i don't believe it.
Old 06-03-2002, 06:27 PM   #57
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

What an amazing post. Thanks Legolas. Unreal banana-peel.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 06-03-2002, 06:30 PM   #58
Legolas
Jack Burton

You didn't?
Yo-rik, please come over here and enlighten this poor man. Rik, you could do it too
Old 06-03-2002, 06:51 PM   #59
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
yeah yorrrrick, why don't you enlighten me, and you too racckirrd.
Old 06-03-2002, 07:23 PM   #60
AliCat
Drow Warrior

Maybe we put more R's in so we can rrrrroll them better!