Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2002, 09:57 AM   #51
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Complaining about something that is not an issue or doesn't bother you just to get a reaction is trolling as well.

I'd suggest you don't complain about other members unless you legitimately are upset in the future.

I'd also suggest you don't argue these points with any moderator on the board, but take such replies to pm or email in the future.

NOW if this thread doesn't get ON topic and STAY on topic, I'll close it.
Old 12-20-2002, 10:02 AM   #52
Grungi
Banned User

i did reply in pm and the topic is "i want to be this spry at 60" sooooo i think the only answer to that is....

yes please id like to be very spry at 60.
Old 12-20-2002, 10:07 AM   #53
Grungi
Banned User

Im not trolling davros, i posted a valid point and question which noone has yet answered, i dont consider it "wrong" as its a question id like answered, so no the only trolling is in your last post where your deliberately trying to provoke an adverse reaction from me, so a troll i call ye and may tyr strike you down with righteous thunder.

oh heres the question again for all of you just in case you forgotten what this whole topic came about in the first place:

--------------------------------------------
would the people putting together european law seriously consider over the period of years and multiples commitees and votes that the law "trial by combat" is a valid one for the 20th century?
Old 12-20-2002, 10:27 AM   #54
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Grungi:

oh heres the question again for all of you just in case you forgotten what this whole topic came about in the first place:

would the people putting together european law seriously consider over the period of years and multiples commitees and votes that the law "trial by combat" is a valid one for the 20th century?
Well, given that we're now in the TWENTY-FIRST century, your question is moot. Oh, but I'm supposed to read between the lines and figure out you MEANT the 21st century. Fair enough.

Ok, based on my premonition of what you intended to say, my opinion on the matter remains unchanged. There are many laws that remain on the books, for whatever reasons they were originally intended, that have little meaning in the modern world. This law, whether or not it actually ever *was* a law (and I have absolutely no desire to or intend to pour over countless reams of English law from bygone years to see if it is so), I would think it would be farcical to uphold that as a standard in 2002.

However, stranger things have happened. For instance, in the state of Texas, I can be arrested and jailed for being a network administrator. Strange, you think? Nope, because there is an old law on the books that makes it illegal for someone to carry wire cutters on their person. (The law goes back to the 18th-19th century and cattle rustling, when barbed wires used to be cut regularly). Since much of networking has to do with stripping, cutting, and crimping network cable, we have to use wire cutters all the time. Therefore, if a policeman really wanted to mess with us, they could, although I doubt anyone would enforce the law for such a thing. So *if* this "Trial by Combat" was ever a tenet of English Common Law in bygone centuries, then it possibly could be invoked. I simply do not know if it ever was law or not.

Oh, and my flippancy at the beginning of the post *was* a joke, in case you didn't realize that.

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 12-20-2002, 11:35 AM   #55
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Question Mark

Quote:
Im not trolling davros, i posted a valid point and question which noone has yet answered, i dont consider it "wrong" as its a question id like answered, so no the only trolling is in your last post where your deliberately trying to provoke an adverse reaction from me, so a troll i call ye and may tyr strike you down with righteous thunder.
Regardless of what YOU consider it, the webmaster considers it TROLLING. The rules of this site are very specific, and very simple. If you dont understand them, READ THEM AGAIN!

You are trolling grungi, plain and simple.

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"
Old 12-20-2002, 11:36 AM   #56
Grungi
Banned User

no i meant the 20th century, wasnt talking about the 21st only partly (as in the last few laws and tweaks in the past few years). so erm no the 20th century, European law was initially formed in the 20th not the 21st. Wasnt talking about english law in that point either. Its not about british law which doesnt come into it, and yet again your talking about the 17th century which again doesnt come into it, european law is formed in the 20th century in englightened (relatively) times, so its based on the best bits of laws around europe, ie the ones that are logically sound, admittedly theres plenty that are pretty silly, but trial by combat may well still be about in english law but its not about in european law, and you cant use english law successfully most of the time in european courts cos they ignore it and overrule it (which is one reason i have a big problem with european law)

so the guy might have invoked some ancient british law but he couldnt have invoked a european one.
Old 12-20-2002, 11:39 AM   #57
Grungi
Banned User

nachtrafe im not trolling PLAIN AND SIMPLE and i read the rules thank you very much, your opinion is neither requested nor desired, i have checked and i am NOT trolling. But as a moderator told you to desist this on this topic and continue with the original heading your the one who is breaking the rules, so id stop before your moderated, i was trying to continue the original discussion, or is me discussing something in a civilised manner considered trolling?

I havent broken any rules, nor have you seen my PM's to cloudbringer making absolutely sure that im not, so dont comment unless you know the full facts.
Old 12-20-2002, 11:42 AM   #58
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

OK, put this back on topic, that means ALL of you (you too Grungi). NO MORE BICKERING.
Grungi, threatening people is hardly the way to make friends and get along. I've told you that you have to let things go and NOT take them so seriously. You must be taking them very seriously to be replying in this fashion and it's just a msg board. So chill out!

Everyone else- I've made my post regarding the trolling and I believe that's enough of a comment without additional posts on the topic.

Grungi, it is considered trolling if you bait people into posting for any reason other than participating in the thread and your own post said you were trying to get a mod to post and really weren't upset at all- so by your own admission and IW's definition of trolling, you were doing so, albeit in a mild way.

I don't want to close this thread and I don't want to see personal bickering in it.

[ 12-20-2002, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 12-20-2002, 11:43 AM   #59
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
nachtrafe im not trolling PLAIN AND SIMPLE and i read the rules thank you very much, your opinion is neither requested nor desired, i have checked and i am NOT trolling. But as a moderator told you to desist this on this topic and continue with the original heading your the one who is breaking the rules, so id stop before your moderated, i was trying to continue the original discussion, or is me discussing something in a civilised manner considered trolling?

I havent broken any rules, nor have you seen my PM's to cloudbringer making absolutely sure that im not, so dont comment unless you know the full facts.
If my, or anyone else's it seems, opinion is desired, then why the heck do you post here? This is a discussion board, meant for the express purpose of exchanging opinions. If you're so intent on ignoring and deriding everyone's opinions, why do you bother to post?

*tosses [img]graemlins/twocents.gif[/img] on the table and wanders out of the thread*

Old 12-20-2002, 11:44 AM   #60
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
OK, put this back on topic, that means ALL of you (you too Grungi). NO MORE BICKERING.
Sorry. I was just tired of watching this farce. I'm done now, and I'm moving to something *enjoyable*. [img]smile.gif[/img]

See you in the Cafe.