Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2002, 12:44 PM   #51
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

To me, having royalty still in action today adds a romantic touch to Britain that would be sorely missed if they were pulled down. I like to think that there are still some of the "Old Country" in existance, because I love that era. I was born too late. I wish I could have been around back in the "good old days."...er...sometimes.
Old 11-01-2002, 12:46 PM   #52
Neb
Account deleted by Request

To me having royalty is a way that a country is wasting money that could be better spent on better hospitals, schools and the like. I have no great dislike for royals, but they can damn well live like the rest of us or actually EARN their right to more instead of just being born into it.
Old 11-01-2002, 02:23 PM   #53
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Calaethis Dragonsbane:
I really dont give a damn about what the rest of the world thinks about America, your "beloved" country, or your flag, I'm probably being very offensive, but... imho you DO seem to go on about it a lot, maybe becoz in the rest of the worlds eyes, you have no culture, again, I'm not trying to be offensive, and probably am, and feel free to correct me.
Thanks, I will.

I am Australian.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 11-01-2002, 02:29 PM   #54
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
The use of "American" and "America" rankles quite a few folks from other countries, judging by my overseas encounters. Some feel this is, again, a show of American arrogance. "What, you think you're the only country in America?"
'America' is a country.

'North America' is a continent.

'South America' is another continent.

There is no continent of America.

Unless we'd like to call Europe, Asia and Africa all one continent (instead of landmass) simply because they are linked by a bridge over a canal.

However, what are Europeans (Romanians, Magyars, Norwegians) supposed to do, when they are confused with Europeans (Members of the European Union).

THAT is a recipe for confusion. Especially if the name "The United States of Europe" get's passed.

Old 11-01-2002, 02:31 PM   #55
Lord Shield

my own view on our Royal family is the waste of space/money. they have become a laughing stock in recent years, thanks to the press coverage revealing all their ridiculous antics

as for my view on America I see that as nobody's business but my own, and I will allow nobody to stand in judgment of me

Old 11-01-2002, 02:31 PM   #56
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Gee, hasn't this turned into a mountain over a molehill.

Let me try and summarize - in one sentence - what Yorick is trying to say: judge people on their individual merits, NOT on where they come from.

I've noticed that Yorick's eloquence, while well-intentioned, often has the unfortunate effect of making people feel defensive, like they're being picked-on somehow. DON'T FEEL THAT WAY, as I don't see the intent of this post as being to start an argument.

At the end of the day we're all human beings, no matter what we look like, where we were born or what language we speak. We eat, sleep, walk, talk, laugh, cry, argue, and make up like everyone else.

I wasn't going to weigh into this discussion, but I can see it possibly going downhill and I want to make sure that doesn't happen, as I'm sure the LAST thing on Yorick's mind when he started this thread was to incite the very argument his thread is arguing against.

So keep a lid on those tempers, all of you.
Very succinctly encapsulated. Thankyou Memnoch. You devil you...

Old 11-01-2002, 04:03 PM   #57
Charean
Hathor

Quote:
The use of "American" and "America" rankles quite a few folks from other countries, judging by my overseas encounters. Some feel this is, again, a show of American arrogance. "What, you think you're the only country in America?" From what I've notice, these folks need to read the Monroe Doctrine so they understand that, for all intents and purposes, we OWN this hemisphere. (j/k lol ) Sheesh, folks, "American" is just a figure of speech, so chill. Besides, United Statesean is much too large and sounds quite silly. Plus, you could then say "What, you think you're the only united states on the planent - what about Estados Unidos Mexicos." So, then we'd be saying "United States of American" - how annoying.

Look, when you are confronted with someone from Europe who has a rankle with Americans, just remind them that we can't be bothered to even think about their little problems, country, or point of view. That always really irks them, I've found.

As for making fun of someone for nationality (I'll add and/or geography), it's perfectly fine in my view. People need an Us and a Them - we always have needed it and we always will. We can't tease people about their skin color, ethnicity, or religious heritage anymore - knocking out the vast majority of our good ways to identify Us vs. Them. So, the only thing that's left is geography and nationality. So, I say make fun of Kentuckians for being barefoot and pregnant, Minnesotans for talking so funny (a la Fargo), French for their infamous hygeine, British for their wonderful [img]graemlins/dontknowaboutyou.gif[/img] food, Germans for their seriousness, and Americans for their arrogance and ignorance.

Without stereotypes, there would be just too many variables to address when confronting people and/or issues. What we really need are simple bite-size pieces of life and understanding, 'cause there's just much too much to think about. Which is why stereotypes are wonderful and good.
You slay me... LOL....
I ain't a White Russian for nuthin!

You forgot about the Canadians being way too polite. There was a TV show called "Due South" and one of the best scenes was when a girl caught the hero and said to him, "I know you are not who you say you are.... (thinking his cover as a girl is blown).... you are Canadian! You are too polite to be American!"
Okay, I guess you had to see it.

A comic came up with this one:
There is absolutely NO REASON to hate any Group of people... I don't. There are plenty of things to hate on an INDIVIDUAL basis!

That being said - I will exit stage left....
Old 11-01-2002, 04:08 PM   #58
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I agree, Charean. Whilst I understand anti-American sympathy, I usually ask a brief respite from such sympathy when I encounter a foreigner, so I may have at least a moment to give them a decent reason to dislike ME personally, regardless of any extraneous stereotypes. I am a firm believer that no matter who you are, given a topic, an audience, and three minutes, I can piss you off in my very own special way. [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2002, 05:10 PM   #59
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
quote:
The use of "American" and "America" rankles quite a few folks from other countries, judging by my overseas encounters. Some feel this is, again, a show of American arrogance. "What, you think you're the only country in America?"
'America' is a country.

'North America' is a continent.

'South America' is another continent.

There is no continent of America.

Unless we'd like to call Europe, Asia and Africa all one continent (instead of landmass) simply because they are linked by a bridge over a canal.

However, what are Europeans (Romanians, Magyars, Norwegians) supposed to do, when they are confused with Europeans (Members of the European Union).

THAT is a recipe for confusion. Especially if the name "The United States of Europe" get's passed.
[/QUOTE]Sigh! Must we all get so technical. There is no such thing as the country of America. It is the USA or United States of America, America actually includes all of the new world both south and north. Now we english people use America for short instead of the USA because well we are, well just plain lazy when it comes to languages. We try a shorten everything that is why we have such a slew of words. We also use Americans when refering to the people of the USA because we would sound pretty foolish with United States of Americans, when refering to people. Sigh! We often refer to people for Asia as Asians, but if you say Americans we generally are refering to people of the US but in truth it really refers to all people on this side. Sigh! Why must everything always be so complicated?

Speaking of hatred did any one catch Pat Buchanans comments. It seems some Americans have some hatred of their own.

These are some of his past comments:
1. "Canada is a whining country that has been freeloading off the U.S. defence budget for decades."
2. "For most Americans, Canada is sort of like a case of latent arthritis. We really don't think about it, unless it acts up"
3. Canada is a "Soviet Canuckistan"

You know this guy really makes me laugh, the sad part is he is serious in his beliefs and isn't joking. Oh Well! He just made himself the blunt of jokes for alot of canadian late night comedy shows yet again.

[ 11-01-2002, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 11-01-2002, 05:48 PM   #60
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

You know, pritchke, in a country of half a billion, we're bound to have a few idiots. Canuckistans... ROFL.