Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2002, 02:15 AM   #51
kev
Drizzt Do'Urden

I 1st read lotr when I was 9 then 14 then mid 20's, each time I understood more of it. Now after seeing the movie I bought the books for my boys 9 & 11.
They both liked the 1st book because seeing the movie simplified it for them, but the 9yo got bored with the 2nd book. I dont think he understood it very well.
I read the Hobbit to my boys when they were very young & now I am reading it to my 3yo girl. She loves it especially Gandalf because he matches a large portrait of a wizard in my study.
I think the movie has done a good job. It simplifies the book a lot. The book has some 150 charactors so it would be very hard for a movie to incorporate them all. They got around that by combining some of them & I think it worked very well.
I did enjoy the movie but like most it is not a patch on the book. If you haven't read lotr do it now.
Old 08-23-2002, 09:00 AM   #52
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Read all the books a couple times about 30 yrs ago! Definitely before the movie! LOLOL [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2002, 09:12 AM   #53
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Another nit that has been picked (not by anyone here that I recall) is Arwen's role. Now, the part of Arwen is as canonical as any of the rest, it is just in the Appendix ("The Story of Aragon and Arwen") instead of TFotR. What bothers some people is putting her instead of Glorfindel in the rescue of Frodo just before the Fight at the Fords of Bruinen. Now, I love Glorfindel as well as the next, but getting more screen time for the stunning Liv Tyler was a real plus for the movie. Again, I think it added to the dramatic tension, and I got tears when she asked that he get her place on the Last Ship.
Old 08-23-2002, 09:21 AM   #54
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
Another nit that has been picked (not by anyone here that I recall) is Arwen's role. Now, the part of Arwen is as canonical as any of the rest, it is just in the Appendix ("The Story of Aragon and Arwen") instead of TFotR. What bothers some people is putting her instead of Glorfindel in the rescue of Frodo just before the Fight at the Fords of Bruinen. Now, I love Glorfindel as well as the next, but getting more screen time for the stunning Liv Tyler was a real plus for the movie. Again, I think it added to the dramatic tension, and I got tears when she asked that he get her place on the Last Ship.
Agreed! I loved the role that the film gave Arwen. I've heard the 'But they took out Glorfindel' arguement(whine) too, and it bores me every time. I mean, Arwen is a continuing character, and is EXTREMELY important to the overall story. Glorfindel is simply a bit player inserted to save Frodo from the Wraiths. After the trek through the woods, he's gone. And, I've gotta agree with you Attalus...the more screen time for Liv Tyler, the better!

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"
Old 08-23-2002, 09:48 AM   #55
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

*sneaks in, casually notes her sweetheart is drooling over movie actresses and goes in search of the shed padlock before shouting over to Galadria to check out her hubby's posts here* [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img]

[ 08-23-2002, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 08-23-2002, 10:07 AM   #56
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
*sneaks in, casually notes her sweetheart is drooling over movie actresses and goes in search of the shed padlock before shouting over to Galadria to check out her hubby's posts here* [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img]
As a very wise man(my father) once said to me:

If you can't look, you can't live.
If you can't live, you're dead.
If you're dead, then what the hell good are you?
So, go ahead and look. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Having said that...*offers his honey a box of imported chocolates and a dozen perfumed silk roses(she's allergic to the real thing [img]smile.gif[/img] ), while quietly hiding the shed padlock *

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"
Old 08-23-2002, 10:15 AM   #57
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Nachtrafe:
As a very wise man(my father) once said to me:

If you can't look, you can't get in trouble.
If you can't get in trouble, you're gonna live longer.
If live longer, you get more out of life.
So, go ahead and look, I'll take yer wife. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Having said that...*offers his honey a box of imported chocolates and a dozen perfumed silk roses(she's allergic to the real thing [img]smile.gif[/img] ), while quietly hiding the shed padlock *[/QB]
hmmmm....*snickers, unpacking the spare locks, nibbling the chocolates*

[img]graemlins/lovestory.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/kissy2.gif[/img] *giggle*
Old 08-23-2002, 10:21 AM   #58
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Who's was everyone favourite race/ fav bit in the seris? just a q.

[img]tongue.gif[/img] Mine were, obvuois Elves for fav race. I didnt like book 1 tho [img]tongue.gif[/img] Tolkeins lanuage was too poetic... then again it could have been those insufferble hobbits singing all the time [img]tongue.gif[/img] what about the rest of u?
Being bloodythristy; I liked the battles. lol, I especailly like the one with Saruon and the One Ring at the start. [img]tongue.gif[/img] I still think Elrond should have thrown his sword at Ith- thingy, the human; Aragorns Ansestor, then destroyed the ring [img]tongue.gif[/img] . The horse chase with erm.. Arwen was pretty cool too.
Old 08-23-2002, 10:23 AM   #59
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I love the Hobbits, CD! They add a wonderful, earthy, easygoing and 'human' spirit to things! Their antics were also needed to show that all was not dire and lost, but HOPE existed...and that's a pretty huge part of the theme in LoTR...tough little guys and gals, those Hobbits [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2002, 10:41 AM   #60
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
I love the Hobbits, CD! They add a wonderful, earthy, easygoing and 'human' spirit to things! Their antics were also needed to show that all was not dire and lost, but HOPE existed...and that's a pretty huge part of the theme in LoTR...tough little guys and gals, those Hobbits [img]smile.gif[/img]
I..hate hobbits; they're too cheerful by far.. they sing too much... they are earthy nasty creautres *best gollum impresion* "Naaaasssty Hobbits" [img]tongue.gif[/img] They are naive and utterly useless... and their SMALL. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Gimme an elf ANYDAY. Graceful, deadly, beautiful... live in a beautiful place; are "one with nature"; ie they dont destroy it... they have intricately carved.... ok, Ill stop. I liked Rivendell and Loth-lorien a LOT more then anyother bits in the book [img]tongue.gif[/img]