Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2002, 02:27 PM   #51
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

As long as the discussions are held in a mature, non-cursing/flamebaiting manner, then it should be allowed within reason. For instance, I'm a poster on the "Pedophilia and the Church" thread. I am also a mother (two of my younguns are homeschooled so around when I post). Thus far, I have absolutely no problem with them reading that thread. It may hold a controversial 'adult' theme, but the discussion is being conducted with a clean-languaged respect. Such (the topic) is an unfortunate and reprehensible part of our society and certainly taboo, but it exists.

Posts which condone or advertise pirated software, etc. are not acceptable as that is clearly against the law (rather than the mere discussion of their existence).

Am I understanding the difference clearly enough, Saz (or Cloudy or any other mod)?
Old 02-06-2002, 02:29 PM   #52
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Lavindathar:

That is why I put the word "regional" in my post.

In England, none of this would matter. Kids no about sex at the age of 10, you can swear and no one bats an eye unless it is directed at someone. And that thing about someone suing Z just sounds stupid to me?

I guess everyone over there is too concerned with money. (trying not to generalise, but its just true from a European point of view).

Hmmm, I dunno. If thats the way the American public works, then I guess we will have to live in a forum of censorship.

Lavi, this ISN'T an "English-only" forum. If it was, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

The thing about suing Ziroc may sound stupid to you, but it is a fact of life and a reality. This forum is housed and owned in the United States, and must abide by the laws of the land and its social mores, regardless of how you feel about it.

Lavi, if you aren't happy with how this is, maybe this isn't the right forum for you. I'm not telling you to leave, but it's clear that you don't like the way things are run around here. I would suggest trying to find a smaller, more regional forum instead.

Respectfully,
-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 02-06-2002, 02:31 PM   #53
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

Just want to post that I think the mods here do a super job, as I have said over and over. BG Dungeon, as Sazerac says, is a fine cautionary experience, and I think that the Bioware ones are horrible.
Lady Galadria,Goddess\' Equal of the O.R.T.; [img]\"http://havak.db-forge.com/portraits/bitmaps/wlf180L.bmp\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" - Saki <br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Old 02-06-2002, 02:32 PM   #54
Lavindathar
Harper

Thats cool, thanx Saz. This is what being a great mod is all about, not shouting at me for my opinions (i had a feeling I would get flamed for what I wrote)...so thanx.

But all I can respond with is: if that case could happen, then that child needs a new set of parents (once again, this is a cultural difference)...and secondly, Ziroc isn't providing the material, so could he really be held responsible?? I don't know, so is there someone in the legal profession who could clarify?? Or did you say it knowing that Saz?

Hmm, you've just posted again!!

See, why have u started kicking off about it? I am just querying things, as it is hard for me to understand...their must be a very big cultural difference, and its hard to grasp. You should realise that I am just trying to understand what happens over there, and it is very hard for me to do. So please dont shout.

[ 02-06-2002: Message edited by: Lavindathar ]

Old 02-06-2002, 02:32 PM   #55
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:

Lavi, this ISN'T an "English-only" forum. If it was, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

The thing about suing Ziroc may sound stupid to you, but it is a fact of life and a reality. This forum is housed and owned in the United States, and must abide by the laws of the land and its social mores, regardless of how you feel about it.

Truly said.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 02-06-2002, 02:38 PM   #56
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Garnet FalconDance:
As long as the discussions are held in a mature, non-cursing/flamebaiting manner, then it should be allowed within reason. For instance, I'm a poster on the "Pedophilia and the Church" thread. I am also a mother (two of my younguns are homeschooled so around when I post). Thus far, I have absolutely no problem with them reading that thread. It may hold a controversial 'adult' theme, but the discussion is being conducted with a clean-languaged respect. Such (the topic) is an unfortunate and reprehensible part of our society and certainly taboo, but it exists.

Posts which condone or advertise pirated software, etc. are not acceptable as that is clearly against the law (rather than the mere discussion of their existence).

Am I understanding the difference clearly enough, Saz (or Cloudy or any other mod)?

It is ultimately Ziroc's call, Garnet, but yes, I let a lot of stuff by that I consider "marginal" because I prefer to give members here the benefit of the doubt of conducting the topic in a mature and respectful manner.

The paedophilia thread is a case in point. I'm watching it closely, but everything there seems to be conducted very well.

The reason that, IMO, the "nude beach" thread got nuked was that the topic veered off of nude beaches and onto the pros and cons of homosexuality (and let's let that stop here!). Members started getting angry and disrepectful of others, and I think Ziroc made the call to end it before the situation escalated.

It's a judgement call on our parts, but we do the best we can.

Cheers,

Old 02-06-2002, 02:50 PM   #57
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:

It's a judgement call on our parts, but we do the best we can.

And that, in a nutshell, is how I approach my duties as a Mod. Granted, I may not have do deal with the controversy that the GD Mods face on a daily basis, but the more I get to know them, the more I respect their evenhandedness.

The next time you get annoyed by a Mod's decision, just think what the alternative would be..........anarchy - and that would benefit no-one.

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 02-06-2002, 02:53 PM   #58
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Lavindathar:
Thats cool, thanx Saz. This is what being a great mod is all about, not shouting at me for my opinions (i had a feeling I would get flamed for what I wrote)...so thanx.

But all I can respond with is: if that case could happen, then that child needs a new set of parents (once again, this is a cultural difference)...and secondly, Ziroc isn't providing the material, so could he really be held responsible?? I don't know, so is there someone in the legal profession who could clarify?? Or did you say it knowing that Saz?

Hmm, you've just posted again!!

See, why have u started kicking off about it? I am just querying things, as it is hard for me to understand...their must be a very big cultural difference, and its hard to grasp. You should realise that I am just trying to understand what happens over there, and it is very hard for me to do. So please dont shout.

[ 02-06-2002: Message edited by: Lavindathar ]

*sigh* Ok, first off, Lavi, the reason I posted what I did the second time, was that you seem to me (as I interpreted) to be rather unhappy with how things are being run here. I wasn't shouting at you, nor telling you to go away...but I know that if I was unhappy somewhere, I wouldn't want to stay. The reason I thought you were unhappy was that you keep bringing up this subject; that's all.

Second: I agree with you fully about the kids and their parents. It's sad to say, but a large majority of parents here have no problem making kids, but have a BIG problem with taking responsibility for them. They are only too ready to shove responsibility onto something else. The kid does something bad? Sue the TV station for showing that violent movie the other night. The kid makes poor grades in school? Sue the school district for not educating the kid. Sue, blame, rally...do ANYTHING but admit that maybe its THEIR fault or the kid's fault for messing up.

Unfortunately, here in the States, we have a legal system that is largely based on the deferring of personal responsibility. We have old women who sue McDonald's for serving them too hot a cup of coffee when they were dumb enough to drive off and spill it in their own lap, for example.

Based on the laws of the U.S. at this time, a network administrator or a webmaster CAN be held responsible for the content that is on his or her site, whether or not they know about it. And, believe it or not, our laws are far more lenient than other country's laws regarding online content. (I think France and Germany are far more strict; maybe Ramon or Moraine could fill in here?) So that's why we have to be as conservative as we are here.

Anyway, my intent wasn't to peeve you. I hope this makes my explanation a bit clearer.

Cheers,

Old 02-06-2002, 02:56 PM   #59
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
My question is: Do I have to show the same degree of respek to moderators of other forums who are posting on GD (such as Cludbringer) as I have to show moderators of GD (such as Memknock)?

Or are there degrees of respek?

Only if they're dancing nekkid in fountains.
Old 02-06-2002, 02:56 PM   #60
Lavindathar
Harper

You didnt peeve me, youve satisfied me, as I have no more quibbles.

And I am not unhappy at all. It ain't your fault the US is how it is, and I know in an ideal world, you could run the forum without the constraints off the outside legal world.

And if u agree with my second point, and the first is nullified, Im once again completely satisfied.

And that old woman wouldn't have got away with that in England, she'd have been laughed away!