Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2003, 01:12 PM   #51
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Apparently the debris from the fuel tank damaged the left wing much more than was apparent, though the crew did inspect it in space. Posssibly a crack in the tiles of the leading edge of the left wing?
Old 02-02-2003, 01:40 PM   #52
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

I know we have a few from Texas. Here is the debris map. IF YOU SEE ANY, DO NOT touch it. call Nasa or your local law dept.

Old 02-02-2003, 02:15 PM   #53
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Just heard something from a NASA employee:

We are also looking to see if anyone tampered with the CODE in the computers, for changes made or a virus.

Now, I KNOW that we had that 'slammer' virus, but I personally know that NASA doesn't use Windows based PC's at base or on the shuttle. So I personally doubt this. [img]smile.gif[/img]

God... it really just hit me folks... Columbia is GONE... GONE!!

Old 02-02-2003, 02:58 PM   #54
Melusine
Dracolisk

Heard about it yesterday, how very sad. Those poor people.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:14 AM   #55
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

NASA will run down as many leads as they can. That is one reason they want all the debris. I have taken part in Booster crashes before and had also had some training on the Shuttles and the hazards associated with it. You would be surprised how much of it will remain identifieable. Or perhaps you won't considering some of the more gruesome reports. They will reasemble everything they can find and look for clues to what happened, just as the FAA does when an Airliner crashes. The most likely cause right now is damage to the tiles that protect the craft from the 3,000+ degree heat. If the heat was able to find a crack in the tiles and burn through to the shuttle controls, they could have lost control and began to tumble. That would cause it to break apart.

Whatever the final cause though. We should remember the crew and not turn away from the program. It's what they would have wanted of us.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:55 AM   #56
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I know a lawyer at NASA, but I just don't know how to even approach him on this one.

I will say that I think NASA has been waaayy underfunded for waaayyy too long. Some spending programs are more than just services or defense, they are national treasures, sources of pride, and part of our image.
Old 02-03-2003, 10:05 AM   #57
Jorath Calar
Harper

Oh man, I havn't posted here before, but I wan't to express my grief for this, I was 6 when Colombia was launched and I still remember how fascinated I was about the spaceshuttle...
My deepest condolencses to all affected by this... (probably all Americans...)
Old 02-03-2003, 10:14 AM   #58
quietman1920

Its a shame and a tragedy. I'm not sure if this could have been avoided, although maintaining NASA's Budget certainly would have helped. Maybe it will make those reckless tax cut checks just a little harder to spend now that we know what they cost us...
Old 02-03-2003, 11:34 AM   #59
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

I heard on the radio this morning that there are supposedly some people putting shuttle parts from the Columbia up on ebay.

all in all, a terrible tragedy, I hadn't heard about it until this morning on the radio...
Old 02-03-2003, 12:19 PM   #60
realbinky
Elminster

I think we have all become a little complacent since the Challenger incident. I know I have, when I'm had been watching the news and they mention that a shuttle just landed, I would think "well, that's nice," with never a thought to the work and danger these people go through. Both these people AND those of the past and future of the space program are heroes, let us NOT forget again. I work at a DOT building and the flag is at half-mast. I stopped and looked and thought a moment on our national (international even) loss.