Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2004, 05:57 AM   #51
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
How dya figure out it was him?

Looking back at his 'recent posts', he must've wished himself happy birthday... [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2004, 02:57 PM   #52
Knightscape
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
quote:
Originally posted by Knightscape:

Speaking of "decide what they want" how soon until deomocratic elections will be held in China?
I can't see that happening in the future. Perhaps in a very distant future it might. The CCP is too drunk with the absolute powers it have. I see that it won't give up it's power too easiy. China need another Sun Yat Sen. [/QUOTE]That is unforunate. China will never realize its full potential until it becomes a democracy (imho). ...and when it becomes a democracy there might even be a chance(good chance) for unification with Taiwan. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2004, 06:20 PM   #53
Vampire

Quote:
How can one do anything at Tianamen Square? that place is one of the most guarded place in China. Heck, when I was there I took along my camera to hopefully take a picture of that place, 4 red army look at me with suspicion. I left immediately.
You what? I never had that problem. I've got like millions of photos over the past 20 years of Tiamen Square. Never noticed that many guards! Weird!!!!

Maybe you went on a hightened alert day?

Do you live in Beijing?
Old 09-11-2004, 06:25 PM   #54
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Avatar:
quote:
How can one do anything at Tianamen Square? that place is one of the most guarded place in China. Heck, when I was there I took along my camera to hopefully take a picture of that place, 4 red army look at me with suspicion. I left immediately.
You what? I never had that problem. I've got like millions of photos over the past 20 years of Tiamen Square. Never noticed that many guards! Weird!!!!

Maybe you went on a hightened alert day?

Do you live in Beijing?
[/QUOTE]Maybe. but there was a couple of tanks there and lots of guards at that time. Maybe I choose the wrong date to visit that site.

I'm not a chinese. I don't live in Beijing. I frequently visit China though.
Old 09-11-2004, 06:37 PM   #55
Vampire

Quote:
quote:
quote:

Speaking of "decide what they want" how soon until deomocratic elections will be held in China?
I can't see that happening in the future. Perhaps in a very distant future it might. The CCP is too drunk with the absolute powers it have. I see that it won't give up it's power too easiy. China need another Sun Yat Sen. [/QUOTE]That is unforunate. China will never realize its full potential until it becomes a democracy (imho). ...and when it becomes a democracy there might even be a chance(good chance) for unification with Taiwan. [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]

How long do you spend a day thinking about a country you (probably) never been to? (excuse me if i am wrong [img]smile.gif[/img] )

How long do I spend a day of my life thinking about my motherland?

How long do i read the history books of every nation?

China has had a long history... about 4000-5000 years.

IT NEVER even gave democracy a chance.

Why?

People are different there. They love strong and powerful emperors who tell them what to do. We hate evil dictators and push them over only to put a new one up.

Do you not think after 20 or so Dynasties we would ahve switched to Democracy?

hahaha

take Russia for example. Almost a cross between European culture and Far East culture.

Look at what democracy has done to its small and vastly resourced country. You can guess what it will do to a country like China.

Slow change to a corporate republic is the way to go.

Over night to democracy. You live in a rose tinted world...!

Democracy took decades to flourish in Europe. Sometimes a few generations. Youa re now demanding China ( a vast and complex culture with long historical issues) to change over night?

THINK!!!!!!!

don't just outlandishly paint everything with a brush.

As for Taiwan and Tibet:

Taiwan:
I really don't want Taiwan to be independent personnally. Neither do I want it to be invaded. It serves as a ideal example of democracy for chinese people. It;s a small island, easier to manage. So not quite the same. But perhaps one day when our politics are similar enough, we can be together again [img]smile.gif[/img]
Its pointless to argue who it belongs to now... which is the people of Taiwan, who are mostly born in China.

Tibet:
I'm not giving into this one.. hahahhaa
We invaded Tibet, call it what you will. We take resources (god knows what they have there... probably like 6 million acres of trees which seems like SOOOOOOOOOO much to the average street idiot, but its like nothing). We build railways and schools for them (but so what? they don't need crap like that do they? they want monks!)
We give them GSM and internet access (but thats restricted and they will use it anyway and still blame us for everything)
cool... sounds fair...
but come on! this is so normal!

USA take resources from Iraq, Alaska, Texas... whatever. It pays them back... so do we.

I don't get it what is shocking about it? Torture? hahahahahhaaaaaa such an interesting name. At least we don't beat up black people in China!

Deal with that one SELF RIGHTEOUS OUR SOCIETY IS SO PERFECT people.

Anyone know why some Americans hate Canadians so much?
Old 09-11-2004, 08:05 PM   #56
Knightscape
Manshoon

Quote:
How long do you spend a day thinking about a country you (probably) never been to? (excuse me if i am wrong [img]smile.gif[/img] )[/QUOTE]

Depends on how often it is brought up.

Quote:

How long do i read the history books of every nation?

China has had a long history... about 4000-5000 years.

IT NEVER even gave democracy a chance.

Why?
Throughout the history of the world democracy has been very rare event for every country state or nation. There had been small occurances of democracy but it never stuck. That was up until about 200 years ago. Since then democracy is flourishing in nation after nation. The argument that democracy will never work in a particular country is proven wrong again and again as countries that make the swithch to democracy, prosper.

Many countries with long histories wihtout democracy have successfully made the switch to democratic representation. To say that China is incapable of doing the same thing underestimates human resolve.

Quote:
People are different there. They love strong and powerful emperors who tell them what to do. We hate evil dictators and push them over only to put a new one up.
All the more reason to move to a democracy [img]smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
Do you not think after 20 or so Dynasties we would ahve switched to Democracy?

hahaha
As the saying goes "you don't know untill your try".

Quote:
take Russia for example. Almost a cross between European culture and Far East culture.

Look at what democracy has done to its small and vastly resourced country.
I see a nation emerging from a crumbling communist state and emerging into a nation with much vitality.

Quote:
You can guess what it will do to a country like China.
The same I would hope.

Quote:
For the people already in power that would be a great thing [img]smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
Over night to democracy. You live in a rose tinted world...!
I live in a world where people escape communist rule to prosper in democratic societies and where formerly communist states now flouris under democracy.

Quote:
Democracy took decades to flourish in Europe. Sometimes a few generations. Youa re now demanding China ( a vast and complex culture with long historical issues) to change over night?
I have demanded nothing. I believe China with it's 'vast and complex culture with long historical issues' is better governed by all the people of China and not just an elite few who share a communist viewpoint.

Every change has to start somewhere.

Quote:
THINK!!!!!!!

don't just outlandishly paint everything with a brush.
I would suggest you take your own advice.

Quote:
As for Taiwan and Tibet:

Taiwan:
I really don't want Taiwan to be independent personnally. Neither do I want it to be invaded. It serves as a ideal example of democracy for chinese people. It;s a small island, easier to manage. So not quite the same. But perhaps one day when our politics are similar enough, we can be together again [img]smile.gif[/img]
Its pointless to argue who it belongs to now... which is the people of Taiwan, who are mostly born in China.

Tibet:
I'm not giving into this one.. hahahhaa
We invaded Tibet, call it what you will. We take resources (god knows what they have there... probably like 6 million acres of trees which seems like SOOOOOOOOOO much to the average street idiot, but its like nothing). We build railways and schools for them (but so what? they don't need crap like that do they? they want monks!)
Should not what the people of Tibet wants or needs be decided by the people of Tibet?

Quote:
We give them GSM and internet access (but thats restricted and they will use it anyway and still blame us for everything)
Perhaps they would prefer to provide these things for themselves and decide for themselves how much restrictions should be tolerated.

cool... sounds fair...
but come on! this is so normal!

Quote:
USA take resources from Iraq, Alaska, Texas... whatever. It pays them back... so do we.
Alaska and Texas are free to make their own decisions. The same can not be said of Tibet.

Iraq now has it's own interm government and is free to ask the U.S. to leave(many in the U.S. would be happy and relieved if indeed this did happen).

Quote:
I don't get it what is shocking about it? Torture? hahahahahhaaaaaa such an interesting name.
I don't share your amusement at the notion of torture.

Quote:
At least we don't beat up black people in China!
China just tortures and inprisons anyone who disagrees with communist rule.

Quote:
Deal with that one SELF RIGHTEOUS OUR SOCIETY IS SO PERFECT people.
Democracy may not be perfect but it is better any any alternative I have seen.

Quote:
Peasoup??? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2004, 08:08 PM   #57
Animal
Gold Dragon

[quote]Originally posted by Avatar:
Quote:
Because we know how to make beer, and they don't!
Old 09-11-2004, 09:06 PM   #58
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Ni shi chung guo ren ma?

Quote:
*Cough* the current government of China is not lead by an emperor or any Dynasty.

Quote:
Tibet:
We invaded Tibet, call it what you will. We take resources (god knows what they have there... probably like 6 million acres of trees which seems like SOOOOOOOOOO much to the average street idiot, but its like nothing).
I actually thought that China invaded Tibet to crush the religion there. However, since this forum have a ban on religion subject. I would not say much further.

Quote:
We build railways and schools for them (but so what? they don't need crap like that do they? they want monks!)
Railway was build to enable the Red Armies to move to Tibet faster if there are any revolt going on. Schools were made to assimilate the locals into the rest of China culture.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:29 PM   #59
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
As the saying goes "you don't know untill your try".
For China, history has shown that for every type of change ie, dynasty to another dynasty, dynasty to short lived republic, short lived republic to communist, will involve lots of death. For China to " try " the democracy system. I sense there will be lots of bloodshed.

Quote:
Quote:
For the people already in power that would be a great thing [img]smile.gif[/img]
Do you really think the current flock of leaders and his sheeps will let go of the power they held so willingly?

[ 09-11-2004, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: Kakero ]
Old 09-11-2004, 10:50 PM   #60
Knightscape
Manshoon

Quote:

Do you really think the current flock of leaders and his sheeps will let go of the power they held so willingly?
It is something to hope for. It is not without precedent.