Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2001, 05:03 AM   #51
Bonnie
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hey Mithril Hall is one of the best forums out there, every need catered for! Plus it led me here.

------------------

Your unofficial Goddess of Pure Chaos.
Old 07-12-2001, 06:16 AM   #52
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Hi Groljach from Elysium, how are you, mate. You may be missing a bit of history here. There have been a lot of flamers and saboteurs that used to harass Shazira and Ken and they had to take certain precautions. We all hope that's a thing of the past now.

Nah, I heard some cowboy stories about all what happened from a few others, but never what really happened. Ah well, I'm not going to ask about it.

And about the Ikonboard version 3 thing: it's sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. It really is! Features? There is a very advanced instant messenger like at the previous versions, a more advanced memberlist, the ability to use your own avatars, a very advanced profile, renamed to "control center", with all the information you actually want to know or don't want to know like posts per day, a place to put a photo of yourself, a way to subscribe to certain topics ( a list of "favourites", you can decide for yourself if you want to get e-mails whenever a post is made in those threads), a way to change the main board language, a way to decide whether you actually want to see all those annoying avatars, signatures and emoticons, a way to pin certain threads to the top, more advanced info about the last posts made, special views to see only a certain category, a poll function, a way to "collapse" the board view so you only see categories (will be included in the next version)... Really, you should check it out! We are running a beta version of ikonboard version 3 for the Elysium Gaming Project (the roleplaying section of The Elysium, which we have seperated from the main discussion board) and can be viewed here, for the disbelievers or those interested. And those are all already installed features, they don't need any hacking whatsoever (well okay, there are still a few bugs, but that's normal with a beta version).
...And that's the reason why I was so curious about the Yabb type of message boards, to see if that has advanced as well...

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Nightshade:
Hey...this is actually Ken using LN/Shaz's login...you like ikonboard?? ikonboard was made by a person that defected from YaBB...so YaBB is better in my opinion, I had an ikonboard and moved to YaBB...you can see my YaBB board if you go to TeamBG.com BTW.
So you're saying YaBB is better than Ikonboard just because the guy which has created Ikonboard defected from the YaBB development team? Well, I think that's not the entire reason why you don't like Ikonboard, but that's not really an argument to win a discussion with or to convince me...
Ah well, I must admit the first versions of Ikonboard weren't really revolutionary, but the main difference is, that Ikonboard evolves much quicker than YaBB. Three months ago, I would have agreed with you on the entire subject of YaBB being better, but if you look at the newest version of Ikonboard... It can't really get better than that! The only thing that board is lacking is a chat function, but that's just an easy hack actually...
btw I'm basing the quicker devolopment of Ikonboard vs YaBB completely on what I've seen on the official YaBB site; I should be able to take the message board on that one as the best example for what YaBB boards have to offer, right? Okay, then compare that one to the one I linked above...

EDIT: I've just seen your board Ken, and yes, it's better than an unhacked version of ikonboard version 2.9. It's decent enough for a message board these days, but I see no reason why you consider Ikonboard inferior to YaBB... Else you should try the Ikonhacks homepage, a big advantage of Ikonboard is that it's easily hacked (by Admins, that is), and you'll find almost every single upgrade of an ikonboard you could possibly be looking for.

PS
What I said above was mainly to defend Ikonboard in this discussion, not to criticize YaBB; your board looks pretty good at the moment; and even if you're convinced now that Ikonboard has indeed more to offer at this moment, I don't think there's any reason you should switch board types anyway (too much work, not really making sense either to start all over). I can only say I hope for you the YaBB team is working on new versions and sweet upgrades as well.

[This message has been edited by Grojlach (edited 07-12-2001).]
Old 07-12-2001, 04:21 PM   #53
Grojlach
Zartan

Bumping this... I think the ones to respond to what I wrote above will be (soon?) online, I guess...
Old 07-13-2001, 02:41 AM   #54
Lady Nightshade
The Magister

I mentioned iB was made by a guy that was part of YaBB since you called YaBB just another UBB rip off...to let you know that iB is too.

I say I like YaBB better as a user of both iB and YaBB forums...and that includes the modifications and the fact that YaBB has an auto mod installer uninstaller. It also has to do with what features are built into it by default as well as how easy it is to modify manually due to its superior and modular design.

Sorry if I was unclear. I have used both iB and YaBB and find YaBB superior for my needs, with most if not all of what you like about the yet to be released outside of beta iB3 built in to YaBB 1.0 by default.

Just me, and my experiences with BOTH forums.

-Ken (using LN's login)
Old 07-13-2001, 04:22 AM   #55
John Citizen
Welcomed New User

Why is Mithrill Hall being discussed in here? You can't talk about anything there. I needed some advice about how to help my friend and I was told I couldn't talk about it and my post was deleted. They liken complaining about things that are legal to pirate jenni or whoever. How do you make society better if you can't complain about things that are legal?

Mobile phones cause cancer. Oops someone might get upset because they use a phone all the time and get worried. Capitalism is failing. Oops someone might get upset because they are a stockbroker. Smoking causes lung cancer. Uh oh. What if a smoker reads this? Boxing should be banned. The speed limit should be lower, it should be illegal to have a child without getting a parenting license and education. Oh and maybe we should talk about abortion because when people do it without being aware of all the issues they get really upset. Oops. If this were the Mithrill Hall this would get deleted and I'd get a nice little message saying I can't talk about this because people get hurt and leave. Well I got hurt and left. Wheres the free speech? I hate that board please don't talk about it in here as it upsets people like me.

Just passing through looking for somewhere I can talk about stuff. People will probably hate me because Im slagging it but i dont care.

------------------
Hello I'm John. How are you?
Old 07-13-2001, 10:38 AM   #56
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

John Citizen-

This board is not PUBLIC in the sense of being owned BY the public, and neither is Mithril Hall. Therefore, if the owners of the board licenses/leases feel a post is inappropriate or offensive they have every right to remove said post and or poster from the forum.

As for why we are discussing Mithril Hall, it's simple. Many of us are members of both forums and enjoy the same sorts of games and discussions. We are also happy to discuss a large range of issues in both places. Flaming and Trolling are not permitted in either place. If you have a legitimate topic for discussion, post it. If not, don't. If in doubt, don't. Ask a moderator or the site owner about anything you aren't sure is in keeping with the boards's policies.

Seems to me one can read a forum for a while and get a feel for the atmosphere there and maybe sense what is over the line and what is a reasonable discussion/disagreement.

Welcome to Ironworks, btw... I'm Cloudbringer, the Official Welcome Wagon of this board and a moderator on two forums at Mithril Hall. I hope you find things that interest you here and can offer your own game strategies or other useful bits of knowledge and insight to enhance our community.

CB

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."

[This message has been edited by Cloudbringer (edited 07-13-2001).]
Old 07-13-2001, 10:39 AM   #57
Waluin

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:

I'm Cloudbringer, the Official Welcome Wagon of this board and a moderator on two forums at Mithril Hall.
Plus she's one foxy ice angel!
Old 07-13-2001, 10:47 AM   #58
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

my user name is vortex, and my emails the same

------------------

Yukishiro Tomoe
Old 07-13-2001, 11:28 AM   #59
DiabloRex
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonnie:
Hey Mithril Hall is one of the best forums out there, every need catered for! Plus it led me here.

I agree Mithril Hall is nice, of course it is only a plus that it lead Bonnie here (and myself btw)

Old 07-13-2001, 02:41 PM   #60
Anduril
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by John Citizen:
Why is Mithrill Hall being discussed in here? You can't talk about anything there. I needed some advice about how to help my friend and I was told I couldn't talk about it and my post was deleted. They liken complaining about things that are legal to pirate jenni or whoever. How do you make society better if you can't complain about things that are legal?

Mobile phones cause cancer. Oops someone might get upset because they use a phone all the time and get worried. Capitalism is failing. Oops someone might get upset because they are a stockbroker. Smoking causes lung cancer. Uh oh. What if a smoker reads this? Boxing should be banned. The speed limit should be lower, it should be illegal to have a child without getting a parenting license and education. Oh and maybe we should talk about abortion because when people do it without being aware of all the issues they get really upset. Oops. If this were the Mithrill Hall this would get deleted and I'd get a nice little message saying I can't talk about this because people get hurt and leave. Well I got hurt and left. Wheres the free speech? I hate that board please don't talk about it in here as it upsets people like me.

Just passing through looking for somewhere I can talk about stuff. People will probably hate me because Im slagging it but i dont care.

John im sorry about your friends problem but WE had a problem with the subject you brought up before so we said no one could talk about it. again i apologise for this but it was needed at the time.

------------------

Strider's Web 2.0
Forgotten Wars