Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2003, 10:07 AM   #51
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Just a note about the Gun and Mouses link.

I note that the US is only one of a number of nations who produce sniper rifles, included among the best and most prolific are...da da dahhhhh
Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Finland, France, Germany, Israel, Italy, Norway, Philipines, Russia, Sweden, Switzerland, UK and Yugoslavia, all lands of anti-gun laws....I find that strange that in countries where the people are not allowed to own guns, they are encouraged to produce them.

Edit: for colour
Heh...Things that make ya go *HMMMMMMMMMMM*

(with apologies to Arsenio Hall)

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"
Old 02-11-2003, 10:28 AM   #52
Moiraine
Anubis

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Just a note about the Gun and Mouses link.

I note that the US is only one of a number of nations who produce sniper rifles, included among the best and most prolific are...da da dahhhhh
Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Finland, France, Germany, Israel, Italy, Norway, Philipines, Russia, Sweden, Switzerland, UK and Yugoslavia, all lands of anti-gun laws....I find that strange that in countries where the people are not allowed to own guns, they are encouraged to produce them.

Edit: for colour
Nice remark MagiK - so, as soon as you have sent me the money, I'll buy all the French gun factories and convert them to toy factories. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Then perhaps will I be entitled to have an opinion ?

[ 02-11-2003, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: Moiraine ]
Old 02-11-2003, 10:29 AM   #53
Masklinn

Quote:
Cause these nations want to equip their army, make money by selling some to other nations AND protect their own citizen. This is, I agree, hypocritical but not "strange" as you say.

Why do you think there are so many "lands of anti-guns laws" ? For the fun of it ?

And noone answered me yet : Why do you guys like guns ? What do you find so cool about them ?
(Heh...Things that make ya go *HMMMMMMMMMMM*)

[ 02-11-2003, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: Masklinn ]
Old 02-11-2003, 10:43 AM   #54
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Masklinn:
Quote:
Cause these nations want to equip their army, make money by selling some to other nations AND protect their own citizen. This is, I agree, hypocritical but not "strange" as you say.

Why do you think there are so many "lands of anti-guns laws" ? For the fun of it ?

And noone answered me yet : Why do you guys like guns ? What do you find so cool about them ?
[/QUOTE]LOLOL...Ya got me Masklinn.

You seem to be laboring under a misconception though. Most US citizens who own/collect guns dont do so because they are 'cool'. The biggest block of *LEGAL* gun owners in the US are sportsmen, who use their weapons to hunt. The second biggest block are people who use their weapons for competition, and the third are simple collectors. I own a couple of guns, and I own them for all three purposes. I have been an avid hunter most of my life, I've been in several competitions, and I like to collect weapons. I also collect swords, and other martial weapons. And I've *never* bought a weapon because they're 'cool'. I own my handgun for personal defense, I own my rifle and shotgun for hunting, and I own my swords because they are beautiful pieces of art that I like to collect and appreciate. I also own several practical swords, staves, tonfa, etc that I *USE* for my martial arts studies(or, I did, before I moved out to NY to be with Cloudy. Now all of my stuff is packed away, waiting to be sent out here).

So, from my, personal, perspective, it's not about 'cool'. It's about having something because I want to, because I can, and because I'm *RESPONSIBLE* enough to do it.

EDIT: Bad grammar. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 02-11-2003, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: Nachtrafe ]

Old 02-11-2003, 10:46 AM   #55
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Why do people like to have their bodies pierced or watch auto racing or skateboard, or travel or read books or play computer games... etc... etc... ad nausaum! Simply because we enjoy them. I enjoy hunting, target shooting and skeet. In some cases people even feel safer with them. Why do people ever do anything?
Old 02-11-2003, 10:51 AM   #56
Masklinn

Thx for this answer.

Hunting...not my thing at all (you guessed it I bet [img]smile.gif[/img] ), but ok.
Competiting...can be fun.
Collecting...just heavier than stamp [img]smile.gif[/img]

But...
Quote:
I own my handgun for personal defense
Do you feel so insecure where you live that you need a gun ?
And a last question if you don't mind : Do you let it at home or do you always carry it ?
Old 02-11-2003, 11:06 AM   #57
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Thx for this answer.

Hunting...not my thing at all (you guessed it I bet [img]smile.gif[/img] ), but ok.
Competiting...can be fun.
Collecting...just heavier than stamp [img]smile.gif[/img]

But...
Quote:
I own my handgun for personal defense
Do you feel so insecure where you live that you need a gun ?
And a last question if you don't mind : Do you let it at home or do you always carry it ?
[/QUOTE]LOL...Hey, not everyone is into hunting, or competition, or guns in general and that's there call. I happen to be, and I get rather upset when people try to tell me that I have to give up something I love just to satisfy their fear/loathing/misconceptions/whatever.

I used to live in Idaho, now I live in Upstate New York. But it doens't really matter where I live. No matter where I live, there are people willing to take the things that I own, that I've worked for, that I value, and some of them are willing to use lethal force to do so. I choose to have a deadly means at hand to protect myself. Yes, I know martial arts, and am fairly skilled with my hands. But, if I am in a situation where my life, or the life of a loved one, is in danger, then I prefer to deal with the threat as swiftly, and as thoroughly, as possible. And the best solution, IMO, is a firearm. Again, that's not for everyone, and I respect that. But, in my case, it *IS* the best choice. We live in a violent and hostile world, despite what some people think. I choose to protect myself and my family, with violence, and deadly force if necessary. But that is *my* choice, and I dont try to force that choice on anyone else. I will, however, continue to agitate, and support those who agitate, for my continued right to do so. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I used to carry my gun all of the time. I have a concealed weapon's permit for the state of Idaho, and I took my gun with me pretty much everywhere. I dont have it now, mainly because of the *insanely* restrictive gun laws in NY. Also, because Cloudy doesn't approve of them, and has asked me not to have it. So, out of respect for her, I left it with my Father. It's currently sitting, locked securely away, in his gun safe. Someday, I may buy a new one, I dont know. That will depend on a host of factors. For now...I'll just beat the crap out of anyone that tries to assault/rob/nug/kill me, but, given my 'druthers...I'druther have my .45ACP. [img]tongue.gif[/img] *SNIFF* *Misses his gun*. Oh well, at least I know it's well cared for. My Dad is an avid gun collector and takes very good care of his weapons.

Old 02-11-2003, 11:07 AM   #58
Masklinn

Quote:
Why do people like to have their bodies pierced or watch auto racing or skateboard, or travel or read books or play computer games... etc... etc... ad nausaum! Simply because we enjoy them. I enjoy hunting, target shooting and skeet. In some cases people even feel safer with them. Why do people ever do anything?
Bah, you know I m just asking to understand better.
Now if you don't see the difference between piercing, watching auto racing, skateboarding, travelling, reading books, playing computer games...etc.. and owning a gun...well...there is something wrong !

The main purpose of a gun is to kill. To terminate someone's life. They have been made for that. And this is why I don't understand how you guys can enjoy them. I hope you can understand this particular point of view...

Now I'm glad that most of you use them only for hunting, target shooting etc...but they remain dangerous.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:18 AM   #59
Masklinn

Quote:
We live in a violent and hostile world
I agree and I truly think that YOU make it a little bit more hostile by owning a gun.

No offense intended at all, just my humble opinion.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:19 AM   #60
Charlie
Lord Ao

Pardon my ignorance.

What's "skeet"?