Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2001, 04:58 AM   #51
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Flozza! (Australianised version of your name. Gavin becomes Gazza, Barry become Baz etc...) I hope you don't mind me calling you Flozza! I just have two questions.

1. Do you admire King Canute?

2. Why do you have such an objection to a shortened form of a pseudonym? We can choose a pseudo, we are not born with it. If one picks an unusual, difficult name and one that is hard to spell, it goes with the territory that mispellings occur. If I had a dollar for all the Yorricks or Yorics I've read, I'd be a rich man.

Thus let me help you out.

No-one whom I've spoken to verbally has any idea on how to pronounce your pseudo. This makes memorisation of the spelling difficult.
Also, it's obvious that it's easier for us to shorten it. Most of us stumble through aware of your displeasure at abbreviations.

However, I think it would save you a lot of stress to forgoe the Canute-like obsession with stopping the tide of typing ease. Mem, Mel, Cloudy, Seph, Dio, Gabe and Granger have all seemingly biten the bullet and assumed - as I do if I read a "Yor", that a nickname is a sign of affection and reduced formality.

Thus Flozza, take this slap of the back from an Aussie wag in the spirit in which it is written.

Have a good day.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 10-08-2001, 06:28 AM   #52
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I see "Kaz" was a good choice - already abbreviated! I've always tried to call you by your full name, Fljotsdale, since I remembered seeing a post where you said you HATE abbreviations of it. I found my own way to pronounce it - definetely wrong (Fl - jots - dale) but it helps you remember how to spell it.
Fljotsdale! Fljotsdale! Fljotsdale!

------------------

Sapphire Dragoness of ALSB
Waitress at Cloudy's Cafe
Guardian of the Temple of Aerie (specialized in GenCon and BG)
Magess of Lady Lioness' Court
Historian of IW
Most Illustrious Arch-Magess of the Illuminati
Lux omnis est
Old 10-08-2001, 09:36 AM   #53
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Flozza! (Australianised version of your name. Gavin becomes Gazza, Barry become Baz etc...) I hope you don't mind me calling you Flozza! I just have two questions.

1. Do you admire King Canute?

2. Why do you have such an objection to a shortened form of a pseudonym? We can choose a pseudo, we are not born with it. If one picks an unusual, difficult name and one that is hard to spell, it goes with the territory that mispellings occur. If I had a dollar for all the Yorricks or Yorics I've read, I'd be a rich man.

Thus let me help you out.

No-one whom I've spoken to verbally has any idea on how to pronounce your pseudo. This makes memorisation of the spelling difficult.
Also, it's obvious that it's easier for us to shorten it. Most of us stumble through aware of your displeasure at abbreviations.

However, I think it would save you a lot of stress to forgoe the Canute-like obsession with stopping the tide of typing ease. Mem, Mel, Cloudy, Seph, Dio, Gabe and Granger have all seemingly biten the bullet and assumed - as I do if I read a "Yor", that a nickname is a sign of affection and reduced formality.

Thus Flozza, take this slap of the back from an Aussie wag in the spirit in which it is written.

Have a good day.

Yorick, my dear, don't you dare call me Flozza again! You're DEAD, man! The whole ruddy board will call me that now! GRR!

Actually, I know the abbreviations are done for both ease and a certain amount of affection from some people; and I know it is difficult to pronounce, which is why I said I don't mind 'F'.
But I actually love the name Fljotsdale. It is a much a part of me now as my real name - more, in fact, as I have never liked my given name (Teresa), and used to beg for it to be abbreviated!
Pronounce it as FLOTsdale, and remember to put the 'j' between 'l' and 'o'!

Nice to see you back - I've missed you!

------------------

Dubbed Queen of the Illuminati by Diogenes.
Old 10-08-2001, 09:37 AM   #54
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaz:
I see "Kaz" was a good choice - already abbreviated! I've always tried to call you by your full name, Fljotsdale, since I remembered seeing a post where you said you HATE abbreviations of it. I found my own way to pronounce it - definetely wrong (Fl - jots - dale) but it helps you remember how to spell it.
Fljotsdale! Fljotsdale! Fljotsdale!

Thanks, Kaz! Yes, yours is a very sensible name, lol!

------------------

Dubbed Queen of the Illuminati by Diogenes.
Old 10-08-2001, 09:47 AM   #55
Epona
Zartan

It is only polite to call someone the name they prefer.
Doesn't matter how affectionate you're being, if it's not liked, quit it!! Show your affection by listening to their wishes.

And Yorick - really!! Flozza??? Shame on you....

In RL no-one can spell or pronounce my surname. I don't mind initially, but once I have told someone a few times I expect them to take notice. Names are the most important words in any language.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-08-2001, 09:57 AM   #56
Zbyszek

I can see your pain Fljotsdale I have very similar - it is very rare event when someone pronounce my name correctly *sight*

(and city is Skoczow, not Skcozow )

All hail Fljotsdale, Fljotsdale!

------------------

Well known expetitioner, Heffalumps hunter, friend of Boo.
Old 10-08-2001, 11:07 AM   #57
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Zbyszek:
I can see your pain Fljotsdale I have very similar - it is very rare event when someone pronounce my name correctly *sight*

(and city is Skoczow, not Skcozow )

All hail Fljotsdale, Fljotsdale!

Zbyszek, did you know that your name would score 33 in the English version of scrabble?

------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas
Don't mention the score - I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it!
Old 10-08-2001, 11:17 AM   #58
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Alright Ephfh. I shall do as you ask.
Have a good evening Ephfh.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 10-08-2001, 11:23 AM   #59
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:

In RL no-one can spell or pronounce my surname. I don't mind initially, but once I have told someone a few times I expect them to take notice. Names are the most important words in any language.

That's funny, people often mispronounce mine too and that's just the ones who are speaking the same language as me, I wouldn't want to hear anybody who speaks english try to say it, it would be verbal suicide.
Old 10-08-2001, 11:25 AM   #60
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Alright Ephfh. I shall do as you ask.
Have a good evening Ephfh.

That is deserving of a great big

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."