Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2001, 08:04 PM   #51
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Or maybe you could take her to a cursing contest?

J/K

When I was younger, I cursed quite a bit more than I do now. It seemed grown up when I was a teen, and when I was in the Army, it seemed cool. I actually found out it was neither. I do use the occassional swear word, usually when angry, which just means I'm expressing myself in a non expressive way.
Old 12-07-2001, 08:25 PM   #52
Chewbacca
Zartan

I run a music store, my #1 one complaint is yours in particular. We warn parents if they ask and take cd's back in the cases like yours. Most "edited" cds are barely edited at that.

Blame the labels and the bands for having a "(edited) you" attitude towards concerned parents and mtv and radio for a " kids spend money ( their parent's money) so lets feed them adult entertainment" attitude.

We do our best to in my store warn parents, and are armed with a list of acceptable alternatives. ( in your case i'd try sum 41, alien ant farm, or linkin park. No need to edit what aint there, and theses guys are clean and hard rockin!)
Old 12-07-2001, 09:40 PM   #53
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

well i am against it too, but sometimes its better than the original version! hehehe

but my mom is linient with this... i mean we should just learn all to just listen and not live the music [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2001, 09:49 PM   #54
Vassili_Zaitsev
Dungeon Master

ok. thanks
D-Loc to Johnny Richter\'s like ping to pong,<br />Ain\'t nothing wrong don\'t fix shit if it ain\'t broke,<br />We ain\'t no jokes, <br />you know the kings by the size of our tokes, <br />motherfuckers!<br /><br />Blaze All Day, Every Day,<br />Each Way, The Right Way,<br />My Way, Greenhay, We High,<br />Been There, Done That,<br />Big Blunts, Fat Sacks,<br />Hit It Fast, Make It Last,<br />First Class, We Blaze...<br /><br />Well yup I\'m still drunk with the humps in the trunk,<br />You hear the Kottonmouth Kings yellin\' out BUMP! BUMP!<br />I flew through a yellow then I ran a red,<br />Grabbed a bev saw a cop then hit the clutch and breath,<br />Knew I had to slow down so I smoked a bowl,<br />Picked up D-Loc and told him start to roll,<br />Freeway was packed so I paid the toll,<br />Four joints later my bus was fishbowled,
Old 12-07-2001, 10:05 PM   #55
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
I run a music store, my #1 one complaint is yours in particular. We warn parents if they ask and take cd's back in the cases like yours. Most "edited" cds are barely edited at that.

Blame the labels and the bands for having a "(edited) you" attitude towards concerned parents and mtv and radio for a " kids spend money ( their parent's money) so lets feed them adult entertainment" attitude.

We do our best to in my store warn parents, and are armed with a list of acceptable alternatives. ( in your case i'd try sum 41, alien ant farm, or linkin park. No need to edit what aint there, and theses guys are clean and hard rockin!)

I don't think I've heard Sum 41, but he likes Linkin Park and Alien Ant Farm. I agree with you that it's the labels fault. If the song can be edited, then they should do it properly. Don't leave controversial words in it at all. If there is too much profanity to edit, then don't sell an edited version of it. It's not that hard, but it would more than likely cost them money, therefore it's not done.

I never agreed with them censoring music in the first place, but they passed the law, not me. They need to do a better job cleaning it up. All I can do is complain.
Old 12-07-2001, 10:12 PM   #56
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

For me swearing saying ■■■■, shit etc is just another PART of my vocabulary. I often use it to get strong emotions across. You may all think music is going down the hill because of swearing in it (and for a lot of it it is [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) but alot of bands dont use it excessivly in their music just as its another part of their lyrics.
You may think that I am not as intelligent or smart if I resort to using swearing in my posts [img]tongue.gif[/img] But the fact that you are so strongly against it gives you a kind of snobbish image in my eyes (no offense [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) It is simply another word I can say, not all the time. Just like saying that was a bloody good concert, I can say that was a ■■■■■■■ good concert. Its just another word to me and its only offensive and demeaning if you make it so in your eyes.
The subject against the female swearing is not what I am against here as I dont like a lot of that either. But saying that movie was ■■■■■■■ excellent just gets my point across in a different way. Why substitute it for a more "intelligent" word when I dont need to or feel that my word is what expresses me better. You make it offensive in your eyes. In my eyes it is not.
Old 12-07-2001, 10:32 PM   #57
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

There are arguments for both sides as to whether or not certain vulgar language is becoming common and should not be considered offensive, but I think the original point of this post was whether or not this type of language is appropriate for young children.

I don't think most people would agree that they want to hear shit, bitch, and ■■■■ coming from the mouths of 5 year olds. If you don't, then you can't let them perceive it as being acceptable.
Old 12-07-2001, 10:42 PM   #58
Chewbacca
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Mitro Jellywadder:

I don't think I've heard Sum 41, but he likes Linkin Park and Alien Ant Farm. I agree with you that it's the labels fault. If the song can be edited, then they should do it properly. Don't leave controversial words in it at all. If there is too much profanity to edit, then don't sell an edited version of it. It's not that hard, but it would more than likely cost them money, therefore it's not done.

I never agreed with them censoring music in the first place, but they passed the law, not me. They need to do a better job cleaning it up. All I can do is complain.

If he likes Blink, he'll love Sum 41, they make very similiar music, the harshest word on thier Album "all killer, no filler" is bastard. But as you are the rare parent who listens first, you can see for yourself. Feel lucky he doesnt like Eminem. We barely broke even from all the returns of "edited" cd's by that artist.

And a record label spending extra money on something besides champagne breakfasts? I'd be shocked!

A fine example of label mentality: they only profit from 20% of the acts they promote, they lose money on 80% of the product they make. Cd's cost so much because they waste countless money on bands that never break! The real sad part is they suck up indie labels as they grow big and subject them to this wasteful business practice. 90% of all published music is made by only four companies! I love my job, but the music biz makes me sick if I dwell on it to much...

BTW there is no law forcing labels to rate thier music. They agreed to voluntarily in order to avoid any such leglislation. It is a self-policed industry.
Old 12-07-2001, 11:03 PM   #59
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
BTW there is no law forcing labels to rate thier music. They agreed to voluntarily in order to avoid any such leglislation. It is a self-policed industry.

Ahhh...so that's why it doesn't work.
Old 12-07-2001, 11:15 PM   #60
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

quote:
Originally posted by AzureWolf:
You may think that I am not as intelligent or smart if I resort to using swearing in my posts [img]tongue.gif[/img] But the fact that you are so strongly against it gives you a kind of snobbish image in my eyes (no offense [img]tongue.gif[/img] )

None taken. I don't recall ever mentioning intelligence with anyones use of profanity. As for snobbish, if you knew me you would know that is far from the truth. (If that wasn't meant for me, then disregard everything in this paragraph except the None taken. ) [img]smile.gif[/img]

My point was an 'edited' CD should not contain profanity. I use profanity, but not around my children.

Edit: To modify or adapt so as to make suitable or acceptable: edited her remarks for presentation to a younger audience

That's out of the dictionary. I think it applies.

Btw,
Who dug this post out of the grave?