Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2001, 06:52 PM   #51
Epona
Zartan

I aster*sk everything, just in case! Here's why.
In England, although just about everyone swears, it is quite a big deal as far as 'public' forums such as TV and radio are concerned, but it is a bit different from other parts of the world I think. For example, you can buy music CDs with 'adult' lyrics easily enough (even kids can without much problem) - they won't get banned from stores or anything like that these days. No-one makes much fuss about it as long as it's not broadcast in public. If you are familiar with Rage Against The Machine, you will know that they use a lot of swearing - easy enough to go out and buy it, but if any of their tracks are played on TV or Radio, any slightly dodgy word is bleeped out unless it's 3 in the morning! (one of their tracks was once played uncut on a major radio station at Sunday lunchtime by mistake and there were a huge number of complaints as a result).
Cr*p and Sh*t (and b*mmer) are still considered unacceptable by some people in England. I think this may be different in other countries where they have never been considered real swear words.
So I asterisk, because I don't want to inadvertantly cause any offense - some people are more sensitive to swearing than others. I personally do not find it offensive though, as long as there is no racial abuse - that I wouldn't tolerate!
Old 02-22-2001, 08:15 PM   #52
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Epona: thanks for the explanation, I ask because I know I recently (er somewhere in the last 500 posts!) used the word b*mmer and it was no big deal to me, so I worried I'd offended a huge population out there inadvertently! Er, I may forget that asterisk someday...so apologies beforehand!

Cloudbringer
Old 02-23-2001, 06:22 PM   #53
Stealth Bomber

Epona, if you think Englands bad, you should try Scotland! Spains even worse! There swearing is so normal that they are very inventive. Ernest Hemingway said spanish had more swear words than any other language. They don't translate well, but I like 'I sh*t in the milk you suckled' It rolls off the tongue brilliantly in Spanish 'Me cago en la leche que tu mamastes'. As to your translation problems ClutterBringer, the funniest ones are from the Scandanvian countries. I am not sure which one it was, but one had a bar of soap called 'krap'. Funnily enough its export sales weren't too good! Any help Wolfie and co?

Old 02-23-2001, 06:31 PM   #54
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Chevy had a tough time selling the Nova in Mexico since "No va" means "No go", also I read Nike had tough times selling shoes in Saudi Arabia. Apparently nike is the expletive for shit there. Krap soap though... must be shitty stuff!
Old 02-23-2001, 08:05 PM   #55
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Stealth/LoA: TOO funny! I can see where that would make sales a little sluggish!

Hey Stealth: I'm looking into DSL, you think it's a good idea? Rather than the phone modem. I need my phone free, people are starting to complain they can't reach me!
I'm hoping it will make my multi-play faster and then I won't slow us down as much and we may actually finish a game someday! Especially since I may have two games going now if I ever find HOW!

Cloudy
Old 02-23-2001, 08:18 PM   #56
turbovee
Elminster

LoA: i remember that whole Nike contrversy, It was about a particular shoe that had "AIR" written in an arabic font on the back of the shoe. Apparently the font translated into Allah and alot of Muslims were offended that Nike would put their God's formal name onto a shoe.

CB: I don't know anything about Planescape as I have just recently purchased it myself. It's not even out of the plastic yet and I've had it for 2 weeks.
Old 02-23-2001, 08:27 PM   #57
turbovee
Elminster

CB: get DSL! I think its worth every penny. So much better and faster than any phone modem and you free up the phoneline. If your literally going for broke get the cable modem. Most DSL companies will give you the modem for free when you sign up for the service. Mine charged me for it, but then gave me the option of a check to rebate the cost or software packages.
Old 02-23-2001, 08:37 PM   #58
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

turbo! Good evening! Nice to see you...drag yourself away from the VW's for a bit?!

Well, I have the plastic off mine, just didn't read the manual yet. Seems like it may be a single only game, but I can't tell.

I may work late at the office tomorrow, but I'm STILL ON for our game. Just may have to race home and pop onto the forum and start the game! It was 6pm my time, wasn't it?

Hey, I emailed Bk a couple pics, and haven't heard from Memnoch yet- geocities is still down, want me to send to you? A sneak peak! hahahaha! I'm gonna post anyway, probably. I dunno, though, you might not want to save CB form nasty ol Dragons once you see her! LOL

Gonna call VERIZON about dsl, lbm...don't you worry. My daddy can't reach me by phone, so I HAVE to do it or get another phone...sigh

Cloudy
Old 02-23-2001, 08:41 PM   #59
turbovee
Elminster

6 it was my dear bard, hope Charlie remembered.

Yes send me a pic and I'll do the same, I'll send you pics of my birds, the wife and the new car HeHe.

BTW how'd you know I was tooling around on my VW's LOL
Old 02-23-2001, 09:41 PM   #60
turbovee
Elminster

CB: I tried to modify my previous post, but the board wouldn't let me so this is in addition - Did you find anything on How today?