Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2004, 11:00 AM   #51
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Aerich:
quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
I remember in high school I went to donate blood and they said I didn't weigh enough. I probably still do not I reckon. What is the weight limit Aerich do you know?
Minimum weight is 50 kg (110 lbs).
[/QUOTE]Really? It's not dependent on height at all then? Because I weigh over 50 kg, probably around 58, but I am 1 m 80 tall, so I'm a little underweight. I understood that would be a problem.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:49 AM   #52
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally posted by Stormymystic:
quote:
Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:
When I did the blood work for my Part I retirement physical, I had them draw some for a donation test. They calmly told me to return to clinic in 3 years for another test. That really makes me wonder????
you are in the service right? they will do that. if I am correct, being in the service means you can not give blood for x amount of years, for my husband it was 10 years before he could donate anything like that.... [/QUOTE]Yes.
Post Desert Storm the military took it after 3 yrs. Civilian blood drives waited 5 yrs. That was before we became the guinea pigs for Anthrax, and 1-4 different types of anti-malaria vaccines.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:30 PM   #53
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Stormymystic:
you are in the service right? they will do that. if I am correct, being in the service means you can not give blood for x amount of years, for my husband it was 10 years before he could donate anything like that....
Not all services are equally out of luck: as the regular Navy really doesn't get exposed to any diseases/etc., unless you happen to be stationed in an unlucky place -- I think Naples might incur some wait -- you're pretty much eligible for everything. Naval Medicine does blood drives for the USS Comfort (hospital ship) on the east coast every 60-odd days.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:35 PM   #54
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
quote:
Originally posted by Aerich:
Minimum weight is 50 kg (110 lbs).
Really? It's not dependent on height at all then? Because I weigh over 50 kg, probably around 58, but I am 1 m 80 tall, so I'm a little underweight. I understood that would be a problem. [/QUOTE]Yes, it seems weird to me too. I would think using BMI or similar would be more useful. I mean, I weigh under 50kg but I think if you stood us together I would look a fair bit meatier than you would because you're a lot taller than me. (Although BMI isn't the be all and end all either - it usually puts me as slightly underweight too, which I don't agree with at all). I would think that being underweight relative to height would be more meaningful than just weight alone - I can't think that I would be too frail to give blood.

[ 09-07-2004, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: Aelia Jusa ]
Old 09-07-2004, 04:55 PM   #55
Melusine
Dracolisk

Oh, I don't think I'm underweight either [img]smile.gif[/img] , even though my BMI is 17.9 or so. I'm not skinny, just slender. So BMI is not all that accurate either, but I do think they use it when checking people up for blood donation. Weight alone says nothing...
Old 09-07-2004, 10:32 PM   #56
Absynthe

Sunglass Man

I've been donating for a few years, I'm about to get my five gallon pin in the next donation or two. The blood bank won't leave me alone, as I have AB-, which is fairly rare. Or very tasty, not sure which.
having been once in need of blood, I figure it's a decent payback.

Old 09-08-2004, 06:09 AM   #57
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Absynthe:
I've been donating for a few years, I'm about to get my five gallon pin in the next donation or two. The blood bank won't leave me alone, as I have AB-, which is fairly rare. Or very tasty, not sure which.
having been once in need of blood, I figure it's a decent payback.
Fairly rare?!?!?!
Here in Australia, only 1% has AB-
Good on you [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2004, 06:48 AM   #58
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Absynthe:
The blood bank won't leave me alone, as I have AB-, which is fairly rare. Or very tasty, not sure which.
Easy way to tell is to take a look at what it goes into when they take it out. If it's put in a cup and sealed with clingwrap (or not sealed at all), then it's probably rare to get an uncontaminated batch.
Another, less reliable way, is to look at what they use to take it out: if the surgeons bite you and drink it, it's probably quite rare. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2004, 10:47 PM   #59
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by Gab:
I hate hospitals, dispite the fact that I've ever even beeing hospitalized.
How can you be following your own advice in your sig if you've never even been hospitalized? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2004, 04:04 AM   #60
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Lanesra:
I've donated for about 20 years now, it's a wonderful feeling to know you've helped someone.
Good on you Lanesra.

I used to give blood four times a year every year but now I am banned and bloody angry about it! I looked upon it as a social duty and find some of the excuses put foreword to hide from that duty very sad indeed.

Everyone in Australia who has spent 6 months or more in Britain in the last 25 years is banned from giving blood the reason is the increased chance of Mad cows disease!!!

Strewth, how many ex Poms are there in Australia! No wonder they are so short of blood supply. And to think for 15 years I was a strict vegetarian

Angry from Sydney [img]tongue.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years