Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2001, 05:32 AM   #51
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
Originally posted by WOLFGIR:
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir_Tainly:
Right pair of old warriors we are ,

Still wandering off topic here so to steer us back on track I gonna ask does anyone here speak Norwegian, as in my work have had to accept Norwegian text in our program, and it seems to contain some German and some Swedish, but I've only seen a small number of words, can anyone give more information on where most Norwegian words derive from.

Norwegian, is derived from Old norwegian, norse. It is basicly as old as all the rest of the Scandinavian languages. It has some influences from Swedish and you can also find Norwegian in Icelandic.
Due to to battles in the Scandinavian all languages bare traces of each other but also from German and french since we "borrowed" some royalties from there during some tougher years.

But basicly it has developed from far back as its own language.
But you better ask a Norewegian about this, they probably would hate a Swedish wolf-fan as meself to describe their language

Norwegian, Swedish, Danish they're all the same

Well isn't that what the Tre Kronor stuff is all about?

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger

Old 05-11-2001, 05:43 AM   #52
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

LOL!
Well almost, almost..

tre Kronor is also our Hockey team making us proud since they beat the Russians yesterday!! Yeay!!

------------------

WOLF WINS EVERY FIGHT BUT ONE, AND IN THAT ONE, HE DIES
Old 05-11-2001, 05:52 AM   #53
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
LOL!
Well almost, almost..

tre Kronor is also our Hockey team making us proud since they beat the Russians yesterday!! Yeay!!

Wasn't also the name of a warship? (amazing how many foreign words I've learnt from reading ship names)

------------------

Old 05-11-2001, 05:56 AM   #54
WOLFGIR

Quote:
Wasn't also the name of a warship? (amazing how many foreign words I've learnt from reading ship names)

Yes, but that was long ago, the most famous is Wasa. The one that sank almost immediate..
Old 05-11-2001, 06:00 AM   #55
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
Yes, but that was long ago, the most famous is Wasa. The one that sank almost immediate..
Well the Tre Kronor I know was a World War 2 era Cruiser, so not that far back. I've not heard of Wasa, will have to look on Google.

------------------

Old 05-11-2001, 06:01 AM   #56
WOLFGIR

Quote:
Well the Tre Kronor I know was a World War 2 era Cruiser, so not that far back. I've not heard of Wasa, will have to look on Google.

He, well Wasa is really famous, named after Gustf Wasa a Swedish king that throw out the Danish from Stockholm.

Good to see more people using Google

------------------

Old 05-11-2001, 06:04 AM   #57
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
He, well Wasa is really famous, named after Gustf Wasa a Swedish king that throw out the Danish from Stockholm.

Good to see more people using Google

Well I should really use Webtop www.webtop.com since its one of our products

------------------

Old 05-11-2001, 07:02 AM   #58
WOLFGIR

Quote:
Well I should really use Webtop www.webtop.com since its one of our products

It is?
Hmm have to check that one out thenm any good?

------------------

Old 05-11-2001, 07:06 AM   #59
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
It is?
Hmm have to check that one out thenm any good?

Second best behind Google suppoesedly, but I don't use them out of spite

------------------

Old 05-11-2001, 07:20 AM   #60
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Wolgir, I heard that Norwegian, Swedish and Danish were all originally the one language, and that it took 500 years for them to develop from accents to dialects and then full blown languages. Ultimately like all the Romance languages (French, Italian, Romanian, Spainish, Catalan) came from Latin, so too Deutsch, Dutch, Frisian, Danska, Swedish, Norse etc come from old Teutonic.

English is regard by linguists as belonging to the Teutonic group because of it's structure and fundamental words, but so much of the 'educated' and specific vocabulary comes from Norman French it should be regarded as having two parents: Deutsch and French.

The interesting thing I found being in Singapore was that 'Singlish' is a language in development, with English and Mandarin being the two parents in their case. Both languages have affected the other.

Got to go..