Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2001, 06:42 PM   #51
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuor:
I think this is a unique moment, I actually agree wholeheartedly with something Silver Cheetah has posted. I bet it doesn't happen agan though.

But I'll defend your right to say whatever you want to my dying breath
SC rubs noses with Tuor in a friendly sort of way...

------------------

Most Ecstatic and Exotic Mistress of the Illuminati
Old 10-08-2001, 06:56 PM   #52
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Ah, all is right with the world. Silver Cheetah has joined the fray at last
Old 10-08-2001, 07:01 PM   #53
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Just a question, oh grand illuminated one. Why is it that when Illuminati post, they post together? You, me and SC are of one mind on this, it has been so very often. Why?
I agree with SC, although I think that the kind of patriotism I mentioned - Nr 1) - could be counted as "good" patriotism.
Old 10-08-2001, 07:06 PM   #54
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaz:
Just a question, oh grand illuminated one. Why is it that when Illuminati post, they post together? You, me and SC are of one mind on this, it has been so very often. Why?
I agree with SC, although I think that the kind of patriotism I mentioned - Nr 1) - could be counted as "good" patriotism.
Great minds think alike, obviously

------------------
Grand High Illuminated Master
Old 10-08-2001, 08:21 PM   #55
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
I'm not sure if I follow you, but if you are saying that "my country right or wrong" requires a conscious decision to do wrong, then I disagree. Most often this sentiment manifests itself not so much as the conscious going along with wrong, but rather as the feeling that one should just follow the leaders, accept what they say, and not look too deeply into the question of whether the leaders themselves are right or wrong, but rather take the position that "it is not our place to question the leaders, who have information that we don't have and our best interests in mind", which I have seen expressed on this forum recently. It is not so much a conscious decision to go along with wrong, but rather a wilful decision to not look to deeply into issues to begin with, sort of a wilful ignorance and desire to just follow along, replacing any semblance of independent thought.

I'm talking about times when the hatchet of disagreement is buried, the divisions removed, and a nation unifies patriotically with one purpose - sport, salvage from disaster, economic co-operation.

Singaporeans show an amazing co-operation and cohesion, respect of leadership and healthy ambition, and have turned a terrible situation (being booted out of Malaysia and having to go it alone) into a positive. Patriotism in that country has manifested in an incredibly positive way. Australian patriotism meant that the seperate colonies were able to put aside local demands and needs and see the bigger picture, the common benefit of unity, as a positive thing.

I had a friend who during WTC2's collapse was caught in the cloud. Blindly he ran into a wall. He stumbled around unable to see for a while and then felt someone grab him from behind.

They didn't let go.

He kept on and felt someone in front of him.

He didn't let go.

Gradually an acumulation of blind, confused humans held each other, taking primal comfort in the presence of another life, another presence.

Unity.

Unity is a positive thing. The more things that unite us the better. Love for ones country is so healthy, and doesn't need to be limited to your birthland, but can be felt for where you are. What you see as home.

I love New York. After two months I feel like a New Yorker. I have chosen to make this my home. I have immense patriotism for my new home. This does not diminish the patriotism I feel when I see the Australian flag, or watch Lleyton Hewitt though, for they are my kin. Sharers of a collective psychology, co-inheritors of a mindset only attained from living in Terra Australis.
While I was in Singapore and dealing with the possiblilty of living there for a long time, I developed patriotic feelings toward that - my temporary home. Again, not dimishing love for Australia.

Can a child not love two parents equally? Can we not love our children equally? Love for ones country does not imply hatred, disdain or scorn of another. Without humans much of the earths divisions are meaningless. The love of the cultural patterns your own nation has evolved, the literature, art and ideas created from it, love of the landscape architecture food and heritage of ones birthplace is nothing but healthy love.

Oh

Sorry I just got it.

Silver Cheetah is from England.

I understand....

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!

[This message has been edited by Yorick (edited 10-08-2001).]
Old 10-08-2001, 08:32 PM   #56
G'kar

Same basic drive, different motivations for it.
America= freedom and other values
Nazi Geramny= cultural supremacy

Love of the Homeland is love of the homeland, whatever the motivations for it is.

Old 10-08-2001, 08:45 PM   #57
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:

I'm talking about times when the hatchet of disagreement is buried, the divisions removed, and a nation unifies patriotically with one purpose - sport, salvage from disaster, economic co-operation.

Singaporeans show an amazing co-operation and cohesion, respect of leadership and healthy ambition, and have turned a terrible situation (being booted out of Malaysia and having to go it alone) into a positive. Patriotism in that country has manifested in an incredibly positive way. Australian patriotism meant that the seperate colonies were able to put aside local demands and needs and see the bigger picture, the common benefit of unity, as a positive thing.

I had a friend who during WTC2's collapse was caught in the cloud. Blindly he ran into a wall. He stumbled around unable to see for a while and then felt someone grab him from behind.

They didn't let go.

He kept on and felt someone in front of him.

He didn't let go.

Gradually an acumulation of blind, confused humans held each other, taking primal comfort in the presence of another life, another presence.

Unity.

Unity is a positive thing. The more things that unite us the better. Love for ones country is so healthy, and doesn't need to be limited to your birthland, but can be felt for where you are. What you see as home.

I love New York. After two months I feel like a New Yorker. I have chosen to make this my home. I have immense patriotism for my new home. This does not diminish the patriotism I feel when I see the Australian flag, or watch Lleyton Hewitt though, for they are my kin. Sharers of a collective psychology, co-inheritors of a mindset only attained from living in Terra Australis.
While I was in Singapore and dealing with the possiblilty of living there for a long time, I developed patriotic feelings toward that - my temporary home. Again, not dimishing love for Australia.

Can a child not love two parents equally? Can we not love our children equally? Love for ones country does not imply hatred, disdain or scorn of another. Without humans much of the earths divisions are meaningless. The love of the cultural patterns your own nation has evolved, the literature, art and ideas created from it, love of the landscape architecture food and heritage of ones birthplace is nothing but healthy love.

Oh

Sorry I just got it.

Silver Cheetah is from England.

I understand....

To me, what you are talking about is love for other human beings. There is no need to drag nationality into it at all.
Old 10-08-2001, 10:55 PM   #58
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Nachtrafe:
LOL...actually, I *WAS* putting down schools in general. The public grade school ones anyway. And a great number of the private, "Higher Learning" ones too.

::Runs to nearest sandpile and buries her head::

Boy did I misread that one! LOL

I'll be over here dodging plates if anyone needs me!

------------------

Captain of Bouncers, Boogre Bar

LH Member

And you never did think that it ever would happen again, in America did you? And you never did think that we'd ever get together again, but we damn sure fooled ya. We're walkin' real proud and we're talkin' real loud again, in America. And you never did think that it ever would happen again.... (Charlie Daniels)
Old 10-08-2001, 11:40 PM   #59
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Liliara:

::Runs to nearest sandpile and buries her head::

Boy did I misread that one! LOL

I'll be over here dodging plates if anyone needs me!

Nah.. I'll just say "I told you so!" alot!

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
CloudDragon of the OHF
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 10-08-2001, 11:50 PM   #60
Debaser

The entire point of your argument is completely misdirected. How dare you even compare, or comprehend, that what is going on now has any parallel to the Nazi party and Hitler? Nazis are about hatred towards a group of people...what has that remotely have to do with the actions the US has chosen to take?? WE were the attacked ones, first of all. In a time of alleged peace, WE were attacked and OUR citizens were the ones who paid the price for hatred. HOW DARE you even try to compare any actions the US has taken with the extreme, disgustingly ignorant regime of Hitler and the Nazi party? I cannot possibly overemphasize the foolisheness of your mindset, so I'll just stop now.