Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2003, 08:53 AM   #41
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
I think a consolidated joke thread is a good idea.

While I don't mind seeing jokes, it annoys me somewhat that having 5 or 6 different jokes topics on the top page has sent 5 or 6 equally valid threads onto page 2, where they tend to die. So it's denying other people a chance to get their threads seen. I'm sorry, but to me that seems selfish and inconsiderate.

As others have said, we used to have a jokes thread on a regular basis - where everyone could post up their jokes. It worked really well, it works well on another 'unthreaded' board I go to, and didn't knock loads of other threads off the top page as a result.
Well said Nigel - like most people here I enjoy the odd joke thread by never see any point in replying. I can add my name to the list of people that don't enjoy seeing 5 or 6 joke threads, each with 0,1,or 2 responses next to them cluttering up the first page and displacing some of the more interesting threads.

From what I have seen of the replies, there are 2 sources of sentiment. One set that is taking the line "Aww - I like Arvon's jokes - who was the nasty monster?". The other set is being more constructive in my view, saying what they like and don't like about the current situation and how to improve it.

Your move Arvon - I think the single thread (ala the Cafe) is showing a lot of support. The opportunity is there to become a regular fixture that will become even more widely appreciated throughout the forum. What's to lose?
Old 01-21-2003, 09:27 AM   #42
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron_Ranger:
I cant believe people are complaining about someone posting jokes. Personally, I like Arvons jokes, I dont usually reply to them, I never do as a mater of fact, but I still read them and still get a kick out of them, and frankly, I am sad to see them go.
You missed the point IR. Noone's complaining about the *JOKES*. In fact, if you read the whole thread, everyone seems to think that the jokes are quite funny/fun to have around. The problem is the sheer amount of joke *THREADS*. Read this thread again and you will see that just about everyone is giving Arvon some great advice on how to make his jokes a regular fixture, but without cluttering up the board with a lot of extra threads. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Arvon...add me to the list of people who *do* like the jokes, but *dont* like the sheer volume of threads. I usually pop in and read the threads, and chuckle some of the jokes, but I dont really feel the need to respond, like so many others. And also add me to the list of those that would love to see you start an "Arvon's Jokes" thread and keep it up. [img]smile.gif[/img]

PS: Threaded message boards suck IMO. It's too much like reading a Newsgroup, and I *HATED* those. That's why Forum Software RULES!!

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"
Old 01-21-2003, 09:38 AM   #43
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Okay .... First off, I think a consolidated joke thread a la Cloudy's Cafe is a good idea.

But, the idea of attacking a member for posting individual jokes is silly. How many thousands of "How do I kill DemiKangaxx" posts has this thread seen? Or how many "Iraq war sucks" or "Bush looks like a little chimpanzee on steroids and sucks" have we seen?

Are we gonna consolidate those too. Most days, I find a NYTimes article to spark a little discussion and post it - does this mean I should search for my most recent similar thread and post there?

Floodgates, people, floodgates. How will what you're proposing to do with our little jokester [img]graemlins/whipitgood.gif[/img] gonna affect the rest of the threads?
Old 01-21-2003, 10:32 AM   #44
Arvon
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Alcohol:
quote:
Originally posted by Arvon:
Quick call the fire department!!!!!![/QUOTE]You really think she flamed you? I thought her post was good. Constant stale/old/bad jokes do get a bit old. Consolidate and give us a break.[/QB][/QUOTE]

Jesus!!! I was just teasing her....If I thought she had flamed me I would have answered in kind. Lighten up!!!

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 01-21-2003, 10:47 AM   #45
realbinky
Elminster

I'm with Timber on this, Arvon. I certainly enjoy your jokes. Well enjoy might be a little strong [img]smile.gif[/img] Anyway, if you want to consolidate, rather than post each by each, I would recommend a Jokes of the day thread, so if you do >1 per day, put it in the list. On the other hand, post however you want, if you were breaking rules, Z, or a mod, would tell you. Since he/they have not, do whatever you want. Either way is fine by me. The third option, of postinf less jokes is the least desirable.

Edit: Oh, and I got your "joke" about the flame. Since you are quite capable about defending yourself, I could tell you were poking fun.

[ 01-21-2003, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: realbinky ]
Old 01-21-2003, 10:55 AM   #46
Donut
Jack Burton

Arrrrgghh! My eyes! The pain!

[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 01-21-2003, 11:04 AM   #47
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:

Only 18 topics on that page, Arvon? You're starting to lose your edge...
Old 01-21-2003, 11:10 AM   #48
Arvon
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
quote:
Originally posted by Donut:

Only 18 topics on that page, Arvon? You're starting to lose your edge... [/QUOTE]What's you major complaint? I Have made only one post (other than answer things here). So what's your point?

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 01-21-2003, 11:28 AM   #49
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Timber Loftis,

As best I can tell, the point being made seems to be that with the series of individual joke threads, there usually isn't much 'discussion' on any one of them, just a 'LOL' or two usually, and they drop off anyway. So a thread a day with whatever number jokes in it instead of one thread per joke, would be a great way of making all of them available to read or respond to (if people wish to) in one place without bumping off several other threads where more discussion might take place if they have time to be seen.

Arvon, [img]smile.gif[/img] Maybe a smiley or two would help make it clear you're joking? Sometimes it's hard to tell when we are reading text on a screen and especially if the topic at hand has been serious for a bit. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-21-2003, 12:46 PM   #50
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Well, Cloudy, I agree with the types of responses that usually occur on a jokes thread - most are simply LOLs or smileys meant to thank the guy for posting (and which sorta offend the TOS - no single line/ smile posts rule). Plus, that 3DO site linked above really makes Avron look bad. I know you don't spam Avron, but at first glance ..... well, hit the link, by all appearances it speaks for itself.

That said, I think the joke-a-day thread was a good idea. Similar to a CC. Silly banter and some good humor in a one-stop-shop. [img]graemlins/awesomework.gif[/img]