Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2002, 06:57 AM   #31
kingius
Elite Waterdeep Guard

My god, is this kind of discussion still going on???!!!

I can remember these issues being raised in Dragon magazine many years ago. I would have thought that the media had finally learned the answer to this one - categorically no, lol!
Old 07-21-2002, 07:57 AM   #32
Lord Shield

Quote:
Originally posted by kingius:
My god, is this kind of discussion still going on???!!!

I can remember these issues being raised in Dragon magazine many years ago. I would have thought that the media had finally learned the answer to this one - categorically no, lol!
LOL!!! That's the period I was talking about. Much panic over nothing because the church wanted an easy target to make themselves look moral (beg pardon to Christians out there, but this was the case, albeit not the whole of the Church. My own local priest thought they were bonkers!)

it was becuase of that the "demons" and "devils" and "daemons" in the books got renamed to Tanar'ri, Baatezu and Yugoloths - sheesh!!

Old 07-21-2002, 10:39 AM   #33
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by Dramnek_Ulk:
quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
Second off, as a student of the occult (which means unseen or unknown) I know what it really is and isnt. Dont believe the hype.
Kewl!
Conjure Cthulhu for me please.
[/QUOTE]Ctulhu? Yum! Calamari!
Old 07-21-2002, 12:07 PM   #34
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Dramnek_Ulk:
quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
Second off, as a student of the occult (which means unseen or unknown) I know what it really is and isnt. Dont believe the hype.
Kewl!
Conjure Cthulhu for me please.
[/QUOTE]ok let me get my first ed. dieties and demi-gods and a quart of lovecrafts blood....
Old 07-21-2002, 04:05 PM   #35
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Chewbacca

It's an issue of the general publics perception. In the late '70's, there was a case where some players got too caught up in the game and went through their affluent neighborhood breaking into homes and robbing them. Then, one of them finally killed somebody.

Tom Hanks made his acting debut in a movie satirizing the events (Monsters and Mazes).

Gary Gygax even encouraged the attention, because his company (TSR) was struggling. After the incident became national news, AD&D experienced an explosive growth.

Unfortunately, the game has never been able to completely shake the horrific image that was associated with it early on.

But that was an interesting example of the Satanist playing a paladin.

Dramnek,

I never liked Call of cthulhu myself. It's set in the early '20's or '30's and the most powerful "weapon" you can have is a shotgun or dynamite, which is pretty INeffective against demons. Your characters die MUCH more quickly and more often in Cthulhu...becuase your best offensive strategy is usually to RUN AWAAAAAY at max speed.

Still, a bunch of my friends liked it a lot. Give it a try if you like, but it's a LOT different than AD&D.
Old 07-21-2002, 04:28 PM   #36
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

As a christian i never put anything before God. That doesn't mean that I don't play the game however, infact we meet every day during summer break and every weekend during school, however now that i think about it, we only spend one actual hour of gameplay, most of the time is spent just gathering everyone together [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2002, 05:05 PM   #37
Dramnek_Ulk

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
Dramnek,

I never liked Call of cthulhu myself. It's set in the early '20's or '30's and the most powerful "weapon" you can have is a shotgun or dynamite, which is pretty INeffective against demons. Your characters die MUCH more quickly and more often in Cthulhu...becuase your best offensive strategy is usually to RUN AWAAAAAY at max speed.

Still, a bunch of my friends liked it a lot. Give it a try if you like, but it's a LOT different than AD&D.
With A hey and a Ho and a hey Nonny No, I think I’ll give it a miss for now
Forgive me if I stick to DnD 2nd edition.
Sides, I can’t afford much new stuff at the moment anyway [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Old 07-21-2002, 05:22 PM   #38
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Chewbacca

It's an issue of the general publics perception. In the late '70's, there was a case where some players got too caught up in the game and went through their affluent neighborhood breaking into homes and robbing them. Then, one of them finally killed somebody.

Tom Hanks made his acting debut in a movie satirizing the events (Monsters and Mazes).

Gary Gygax even encouraged the attention, because his company (TSR) was struggling. After the incident became national news, AD&D experienced an explosive growth.

Unfortunately, the game has never been able to completely shake the horrific image that was associated with it early on.

But that was an interesting example of the Satanist playing a paladin.

Your right Cerek, it is about mass-opinion/perception, but you would think with the proliferation of fantasy as an art-form ranging from literature to movies, that those old stereotypes and misperceptions would have worn off. Alas, some lies die hard.

Also if look back a month or two ago, there was quite a lenthy thread here on Satanism that clarifed alot of misperception about it , which makes a satanist playying a paladin not that unordinary.
Old 07-21-2002, 05:39 PM   #39
DeSoya
Manshoon

Quote:

I dunno.... I thought that shotguns and dynamite were plenty effective. So much so that whenever I play CoC I discourage my allies from carrying these weapons. No one knows what will happen when the "Thing That Man Was Not Meant To Know!!!" come rising from the depths of some icky pit. I do know that someone going insane and discharging their fire arms in all directions is quite common. A stick of dynamite dropped on the party isn't pleasent.

DeSoya
Old 07-21-2002, 06:24 PM   #40
vorpal2k2
Welcomed New User

Interesting to see a topic like this that isn't all Christian bashing. Im used to seeing pure hate for instance on metal music forums, when they debate is it all right for Christians to listen to that kind of music.

I was an avid DnD player when i wasnt a Christian [now I am]. Got really absorbed in it especially in summer. One of those addicted day and nighter kind of guys. It would i say partially influenced my decision to flirt with satanism for a time in my teenage years. But the experience i learned from all that is a valuable asset nowadays in conversations with other folks so no real regrets. If i found the right grp id still play. Someone mentioned old Dragon issue debates on the subject I also remember those and thought opinions were well expressed back then. But as time goes on new generations of folks go through the same things, its just we've been there done that already.

Anything in life that fully addicts you time wize isnt healthy. Doesnt matter if its DnD, alchohol or anything. Be the master of it though and you'll be fine.

Later

V