Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2003, 12:41 PM   #31
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

The concept itself was not "fraudulent", Chewbacca. The video explained how to look for "pre-foreclosed or depressed" real estate that the person could purchase from their local courthouse for about half of the actual value. Theoretically, that WOULD work.

The fraud came in when William McCorkle said that HE would front the money to pay for the property if his client couldn't afford it on their own....then they would split the profits when it sold. Apparantly, he never made good on that promise - and that's where investors lost the bulk of their money. Not in the purchase of his video, but in the purchase of the actual real estate - which he promised to help pay for, then didn't. These clients were then left "holding the bag" and were now the proud owners of a worthless piece of real estate (property doesn't become "depressed" without a reason).

When they tried to get their money back (as the infomercials promised they would if not completely satisfied) they were stonewalled.

Another way to look at it is this...if I sell you a car and tell you it's in good mechanical condition and will get you from point A to point B...I haven't significantly mis-represented myself (unless the engine is totally junked). HOWEVER, if I tell you that you can drive this car in the Daytona 500 and win all the fame and glory that goes with that or I will buy it back from you, then I have seriously mis-represented my product and I have committed fraud when I refuse to buy the car back after Winston Cup officials refuse to even let you on the track.

McCorkle told people that they could pay off all their debts, retire in two years, and live a life of luxury. He also promised a full refund if the person wasn't completely satisfied with the product. He failed to follow-through on either of those claims.