Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2003, 11:27 PM   #31
Shaggy
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Like I said its called Satanism because it is basically opositional to Christianity and I would'nt even mind this misconseption if not for the church burning, goat slaughtering label that comes with it, it angers me because i see so many websites and forums full of these opinions on the subject that are completely wrong (and more often than not then passed off as fact) I just think that people who know nothing about Satanism giving their opinion on Satanism is like me giving my opinion quantem psyhics (which I don't think I can even spell right).
Old 09-20-2003, 11:33 PM   #32
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Shaggy:
I am sorry to drag up an old thread but I came across this one today and being a Satanist myself (for the last 4 years) would like to give my opinion on the subject, firstly we do not worship Satan in the biblical sense how many of you seem to think, infact if we worship anything its ourselves. A satanist see's himself as his own God, the reason its called Satanism is because it represents man's carnal nature and desires where as Christianity teaches that these things are wrong, so its oppositional to Christianity thus Satan thats where the name comes from. Oh and sorry to dissapoint but we don't hold mass orgies or slaughter babies to make candles of their fat! Anyway hope this clears a few things up for people. I would also say if people are going to pass judgement on something they could at least be arsed to gain some knowledge of the subject it before giving an opinion on it. See we're not all 'stupid evil SOBs'!
You got my backing, Shaggy. Im not a satanist, per se ( I prefer the term Shaman for myself), but I have friends who are and according to them we share some very similair beliefs.

Watch out though, Im willing to bet people are going deride you for calling your religion ( or philosophy, whatever you prefer) satanism because, as you state, it doesn't involve the worship of the biblical entity called satan. Its so easy for some to cling to that empty point while choosing to ignore the thoughtful explaination about the symbolic representation of carnal nature and desires.

Anyhow, I am curious if you find a relationship between the old pagan horned god, who also represents natural carnal lust and Satan. I am of the belief that Old Christianity twisted the horned god into the image of Satan in the effort to convert pagans way back then.
Old 09-20-2003, 11:37 PM   #33
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron_Ranger:
Quick question.

Why the hell (pardon the pun) is it called satanism if you don't really believe in Satan? Thats like saying I am a Christian but dont really believe in Christ?

Sorry Shaggy, but I am not satisfied with your answer.

You (Not you individually) were branded as Satanist, huh. Well if you go around calling your self a Satanist, call me crazy, but by golly that imply's that you worship Satan.

Change the name for pete's sake. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Can I call it or what. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Why is it your business to tell people what to call there religion? You may not be satisfied with the explanation, but since you can't counter the explanation with anything more than "change the name", why even try? Whats the point?
Old 09-20-2003, 11:39 PM   #34
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Shaggy:
Like I said its called Satanism because it is basically opositional to Christianity and I would'nt even mind this misconseption if not for the church burning, goat slaughtering label that comes with it, it angers me because i see so many websites and forums full of these opinions on the subject that are completely wrong (and more often than not then passed off as fact) I just think that people who know nothing about Satanism giving their opinion on Satanism is like me giving my opinion quantem psyhics (which I don't think I can even spell right).
Yeah I see your point, I wouldn't like the label either. But like I said, why dont you simply call your self something else.

As for the 'opositional to Christtianity' bit. With the expection of Judaism and Islam (seeing as they worship the same God), wouldn't all other religons be opositional to Christianity?
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 09-20-2003, 11:39 PM   #35
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

I don't think about Satanists because they are beneath my notice. No offense to Satanists, mind you....

All the concepts of God, Satan, and an afterlife (whether in Heaven or Hell) are still just holdovers from the ancient world. Our only time is here and now, so the only pertinent questions to ask are "are you happy?" and "are you making those around you happy?"

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 09-20-2003, 11:41 PM   #36
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
quote:
Originally posted by Iron_Ranger:
Quick question.

Why the hell (pardon the pun) is it called satanism if you don't really believe in Satan? Thats like saying I am a Christian but dont really believe in Christ?

Sorry Shaggy, but I am not satisfied with your answer.

You (Not you individually) were branded as Satanist, huh. Well if you go around calling your self a Satanist, call me crazy, but by golly that imply's that you worship Satan.

Change the name for pete's sake. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Can I call it or what. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Why is it your business to tell people what to call there religion? You may not be satisfied with the explanation, but since you can't counter the explanation with anything more than "change the name", why even try? Whats the point?
[/QUOTE] Its not like I was demanding they change it, it just seems kind of silly to me.
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 09-20-2003, 11:42 PM   #37
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Umm... actually, satanism wasn't dubbed satanism by those who live according to the philosophy it represents. The Catholic church did that. At any rate I myself am a Christian with no claim to any particular denomination. While I am opposed to the beliefs of satanism, I do not harass or belittle them. Some of my best friends at school were satanists. We had some healthy debates on our views and in the end agreed to disagree in a friendly manner. Just my way of saying I understand, and not all Christians are going to persecute you for your beliefs. They certainly won't agree with them though.

Umm Azred, as I recall, Satanists don't necesarily believe in Satan or God, or any supernatural deity. I could be wrong. Basically they just believe that living in a manner that makes them happy is the right way to live. Therefore, you effectively are a Satanist.

[ 09-20-2003, 11:45 PM: Message edited by: Firestormalpha ]

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 09-20-2003, 11:46 PM   #38
Shaggy
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I believe it has something to do with the origions of the term scapegoat, I read that it used to be custom way back in the day as it were for a villiage to take a goat and use as a representation of all their sins. They would then send it out into the wilderness to die and absolve them from their wrongs. I believe this is where the phrase stems from and perhaps why it is viewed by Christians to represent evil. Thanks for your support though I don't think i'll get much hassle at IW over my religion as the people here seem nice, even if some are bit narrowminded at times. Its like people think that its not discrimination if you're a Satanist, Wiccan, Druid etc. Where as if sweeping comments were made about religions like Christianity or Judaism or they were blamed in the papers about the murder of a 14 yr old girl then members of said religion would kick up a right stink. Its almost like 'nah you guys don't count'.
Old 09-20-2003, 11:49 PM   #39
Shaggy
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Oh and firestormalpha it was named Satanism by Satanists, Anton LaVey founded the Church of Satan and wrote the Satanic Bible amongst other works and it was he that named it Satanism.
Old 09-20-2003, 11:52 PM   #40
Shaggy
Elite Waterdeep Guard

And no Iron Ranger not all religions are thus opositonal to christianity because most of them revolve around a similar concept which is the worship of a higher power