Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2001, 09:46 PM   #31
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

whatever you guys think about me, it just feel weird to consider this place a community. then again, I never cared much about community. I only get involved with those who are close to me. maybe it is me that needs a change.
Old 08-29-2001, 10:15 PM   #32
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

250 - Don't feel weird. We ARE a community of sorts. Just because we are on the Internet, on a "Forum" does not mean we are not real people living all over the world communicating with eachother and becoming true friends Most people that criticize online communicating are those who do not even use the Internet hardly, so have no personal experience whatsoever. The rest of the procrastinators go by things they view on the media, TV, and think everyone who communicates online are weirdos/strangos. Well here I am, chatting on the Internet, and I feel that I am a "normal" person, so why would I think that there weren't others online that were not basically the same as me? Hell, call me a Weirdo then, but I see nothing wrong or strange with what I am doing. I am just communicating with people, getting to know them, what the HELL is wrong or weird with that I ask you?

I personaly disagree with those that snicker when they hear that I chat to people online. I am not stupid. I can realize that yes, when talking with someone online, they MAY not be who they say they are, they MAY have weird agendas, etc. Same as if you meet someone though in RL on the street. What the hell is the difference I ask you? Do you truly KNOW a person that you first meet say, in a bar? Hell no, they could be lying through their teeth or telling the truth, it is up to you to just these things. I think that Ironworks is so different and unique though, as we all (well mostly) came here looking for RPG gaming answers/discussions, so we all started off having something in common, and no hidden agendas. Then we all just got to know eachother, and are still learning things and ideas from eachother, what with all of us being from so many different locations on this planet, I just think it is great. I feel like I am more worldly now, I have a better understanding of this planet and the way different people from different countries view things. Is totally fascinating to me.

Anyway, dunno what else to say, long live the Internet! Long Live Ironworks!

------------------
Old 08-29-2001, 10:18 PM   #33
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:

Anyway, dunno what else to say, long live the Internet! Long Live Ironworks!

AMEN!
LOL
I communicate with my R/L friends over the net more than over the phone. Makes it easier to organise parties and things when we can make a 5-way chat up. And then what difference is it when your talking to internet friends? They are all my friends and I get on with all of them.

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."
Old 08-29-2001, 11:13 PM   #34
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

Happy to see that by the time I read this thread that you were fealing better Yorick.

Sadness I think has a wonderful place in our lives. Without it we would never be able to appreciate happiness, and we would take all good things for granted.

Plus, I've always written my best poetry when depressed.

Hope you get home soon, I spent a year in Michigan after never having been outside of Florida. It was the worst year of my life in some ways, but I'll never regret the things I learned that can only come from being outside of a comfort zone!

------------------
Old 08-30-2001, 04:32 AM   #35
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Liliara:
Happy to see that by the time I read this thread that you were fealing better Yorick.

Sadness I think has a wonderful place in our lives. Without it we would never be able to appreciate happiness, and we would take all good things for granted.

Plus, I've always written my best poetry when depressed.

Hope you get home soon, I spent a year in Michigan after never having been outside of Florida. It was the worst year of my life in some ways, but I'll never regret the things I learned that can only come from being outside of a comfort zone!

Yep, too true. The art is why I'm here after all.

I saw the most amazing music tonight. One of the most repected producers in the world has a band called Mojo Mancini. They played in this vibey little club. The most astounding musicianship and arrangements. Indescribable. Sort of like Jazz mixed with Cajun mixed with circus music and very early Pink Floyd. Incredible hammond organist. That was only the first band I saw tonight.

I also caught up with an Aussie guy who played on my first record, and who I haven't seen in seven years at least. Wandering the village afterwards I was really glad I was here.

I can only imagine that these feelings will to and fro. Interesting to say the least.

Oh yeah, and for the second time, I was asked if I was Jewish!!! The last time was in Paris a few months ago, and I was shocked. It was asked by two females - Chilean and Deutsch, so I considered it an abberation.

This time however there were three people. Two femmes, one male - AND THEY WERE JEWS FROM ISRAEL. They actually sat down next to me in a pizza bar and started talking Hebrew to me. Obviously my face gave them enough information for them to ask the next question..."Do you speak Hebrew?"

It turns out I resemble a Kibutz dweller apparently. Hair, clothes, vibe (I assume the glasses too) That is until I open my mouth.

Very very bizzare. Still, It sort of made me feel a bit more like I belonged weirdly enough.

*sings* Whoa-oah, I'm an alien.....

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 08-30-2001, 07:20 AM   #36
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Go on, Yorick - post a picci of yourself looking like a Jewish kibbutznik!

------------------

Old 08-30-2001, 07:31 AM   #37
Epona
Zartan

I think homesickness is perfectly normal reaction after 7 months away, but it also sounds as though you're having a great time.

As far as having friends on the internet goes, I think the main danger is in becoming too paranoid to make new friends. We all hear horrific stories in the media about the worst things that happen in society, and it is difficult sometimes to remember that occurrences of child abduction, attacks on women by strangers, internet perverts luring people to an untimely end, etc. etc. are extremely rare. Yes, there are paedophiles, rapists and murderers. But the truth is that in the vast majority of cases the perpetrator is already known to the victim, often a family member or spouse. Hardly any victims of violent crimes or abuse are attacked by a stranger. Hardly anyone has ever been lured off and attacked or abused by someone they met on the net. The media tends to create an atmosphere of fear and panic around the rare examples of this type of crime.

I am in no more danger if I give my address to someone I have chatted to here than I am in if I give my address to a bank clerk when I open an account or someone I have met in a pub. I am much more likely to be hit by a car or to have a piece of scaffold fall on my head than to be attacked. Whenever you hear of a horrific crime it is worth tryingt to keep it in proportion.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Old 09-01-2001, 02:28 PM   #38
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

The amazing thing to me is that it has taken this long for you to feel homesick. I envy your ability to play world traveler.

I once spent a few days in NYC and that was quite enough for me. Good place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there for any extended period.

The one time I have been out of the US was a two week trip in England and Wales. I really enjoyed it and want to go back someday, but by the end of the two weeks I was definitely ready to come home.

Btw, that invite is still open, should you tire of the Big Apple
Old 09-01-2001, 04:27 PM   #39
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Go on, Yorick - post a picci of yourself looking like a Jewish kibbutznik!

(Sigh) A middle eastern fellow yesterday, when I walked in his shop said "Welcome, welcome. You are from Tel Aviv?"

Today, a singer I was working with who grew up in Bahrain and has a Jewish father said she saw what they meant though she couldn't explain what it was. Buggered if I know.

------------------

Old 09-01-2001, 04:56 PM   #40
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
The amazing thing to me is that it has taken this long for you to feel homesick. I envy your ability to play world traveler.

I once spent a few days in NYC and that was quite enough for me. Good place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there for any extended period.

The one time I have been out of the US was a two week trip in England and Wales. I really enjoyed it and want to go back someday, but by the end of the two weeks I was definitely ready to come home.

Btw, that invite is still open, should you tire of the Big Apple
Thanks mate I'm pretty sure I'll be able to take you up on that.

------------------