Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2003, 05:53 PM   #31
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Does it make you feel old ? It's not the first time i called you Sien, is it ?
Is that like Tante Sien? I asked about that, one time. [/QUOTE]You got it Attalus, where did you hear that ?
Old 01-20-2003, 05:58 PM   #32
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

LOL, I saw you call Melusine that, one time.
Old 01-20-2003, 10:01 PM   #33
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally posted by Arvon:
[/qb]
Quick call the fire department!!!!!![/QUOTE]

You really think she flamed you? I thought her post was good. Constant stale/old/bad jokes do get a bit old. Consolidate and give us a break.
Old 01-20-2003, 10:08 PM   #34
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Alcohol:
quote:
Originally posted by Arvon:
Quick call the fire department!!!!!!
You really think she flamed you? I thought her post was good. Constant stale/old/bad jokes do get a bit old. Consolidate and give us a break.[/QUOTE]I agree. Certainly didn't see any flame in there [img]graemlins/confused2.gif[/img]

The joke thread of yours I've enjoyed the most recently was the one with the lawyer joke (not another lawyer joke or somesuch) - because it had a number of different jokes in it, rather than one and a few hahas. It's not like the jokes create discussion or anything, just laughs. And usually not that many at that (not because they're not funny either - I read some of them and sometimes they're VERY funny, but I don't post to say so).

I liked Vaskez's suggestion as well - that they all go in one thread and no one replies unless they have another joke to share. Now that would be a thread worth reading

[ 01-20-2003, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: Aelia Jusa ]
Old 01-20-2003, 10:17 PM   #35
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Yeah, I agree. One thread with jokes would be better for many different reasons. I think it'd just be easier than having bunches of individual joke threads taking up the first page (bumping many other's threads to boot in the multiple process). I mean its just jokes, there is a plethrora of them on the web as I'm sure everyone knows, and there really isn't much you can say in reply to a joke thread except for (like Melusine said) "Good one!" or "LOL!".

Reality Show Recaps
Old 01-20-2003, 11:33 PM   #36
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Well, Mouse's suggestion sounded quite good, kinda like CC. That is, if Z thinks it's worth the space. Everyone who has a good joke can post it in there, how's that ? No need anymore to have several threads with jokes on the first page of GD. Just a thought.
What a lovely idea, johnny! I think we had one like that a while back, but the guy who kept track of it went to college or left for some reason. Besides, you can always QUOTE the joke you are responding to. And most often there's only a handful of responses per joke- most of us are too busy smiling or chuckling. [img]smile.gif[/img]

edit: Barry! JJ did take that joke thread on for a while! Thanks for the reminder!

Vaskez's idea (that Aelia and LadyZ mention too) is also a valid one, I think.

[ 01-20-2003, 11:46 PM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 01-20-2003, 11:35 PM   #37
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Sorry, but threaded boards annoy the piss out of me. It reminds me too much of the outlandish diagraming of possibility paths. Too much linear algebra involved in making sure you've read everything important.

Actually, I'm using a bit of hyperbole here, but I do prefer boards like IWF.
Actually, I agree. I've seen a few 'threaded boards' that were so complicated I just backed out and found forums with similar setups to this one and a few others I like. Same with usenet...ugh!
Old 01-20-2003, 11:39 PM   #38
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
Uh, maybe I'm stating the obvious here, but the responses to your joke threads are pretty much along these lines all the time:

"ROFL! Good one Arvon"

"LOL LOL"

"That was funny"

Sounds to me you don't actually miss out that much if you don't know exactly which joke a certain reply is referring to.
Besides, I thought the idea was that you wanted to post jokes, not read one-line relies to jokes. If you put all of your jokes into one thread, we don't have to make "LOL LOL" posts in the several joke threads usually found on the first page, and wouldn't THAT save server space as well??
So hey, how about a happy middle - you start a joke thread every week and put all jokes in there that you were going to post anyway that week. It sure would be less cluttered.
Good point, Mel.

Arvon, had you considered NUMBERING the jokes in a thread? So we could maybe say, "HEY, number 12 was a really hysterical one- I liked the chicken part!" or somesuch? Quotes or refering by a number or 'name' of the joke is always an option. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-21-2003, 01:53 AM   #39
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

I cant believe people are complaining about someone posting jokes. Personally, I like Arvons jokes, I dont usually reply to them, I never do as a mater of fact, but I still read them and still get a kick out of them, and frankly, I am sad to see them go.
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 01-21-2003, 07:58 AM   #40
Epona
Zartan

I think a consolidated joke thread is a good idea.

While I don't mind seeing jokes, it annoys me somewhat that having 5 or 6 different jokes topics on the top page has sent 5 or 6 equally valid threads onto page 2, where they tend to die. So it's denying other people a chance to get their threads seen. I'm sorry, but to me that seems selfish and inconsiderate.

As others have said, we used to have a jokes thread on a regular basis - where everyone could post up their jokes. It worked really well, it works well on another 'unthreaded' board I go to, and didn't knock loads of other threads off the top page as a result.

[ 01-21-2003, 07:59 AM: Message edited by: Epona ]