Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2002, 11:51 PM   #31
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
quote:
...snip... Cool thing is that suspension to me was like paid vacation. No need to skip, fake sick, or go out of my way to get caught smoking. [img]smile.gif[/img]
So what did you accomplish? Did you help a single child in the inner city? Did you do any good for the other people in the class who just wanted to do their projects and get out? What exactly was the grand outcome of that whole demented scene? All you did was show that you could be a a jerk in the eyes of your teachers and probably most of your class mates....Why not put some of that energy and outrage at the establshment to good use by doing something that MIGHT have made a difference. Pissing people off does not get any message across, as can been seen by my examples here on IW in certain threads. Any Asshole can run around and just disrupt their surroundings, and I am pretty sure that that was not what you intended to project to those around you....so again I ask, what do you really think you accomplished? [img]graemlins/stunned.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/question.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/question.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/question.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]You utterly miss the point. Our platform was not given equal consideration and our narrow-minded teachered prefered to censor our work. We continued our project that day as an act of resistance and succeeded. I wonder what exactly you are trying to accomplish here and now.

That day I merely accomplished standing up for myself, what I believe in, and against censorship. If you have a problem with that, oh well, I doubt I'll lose any sleep. Oh yeah, our other classmates, the ones who said it didnt matter to them if our presentation include rap and punk music. Who protested that it wasnt fair right along with us and cheered when we playyed the music anyway. Yeah, we really annoyed all of them into a one day suspension for ignoring directions from an administrator. And that day I only helped those who have no power to help themselves, namely myself, a teenager in school. I am quite pleased with myself. I pissed off those big-heads good! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Screw the power trips some school authorities get their jolly off on.

"We dont need no education
We dont need no thought control
No dark sarcasm in the classroom

Hey teacher, leave those kids alone."

... from Pink Floyd "The Wall"
[/QUOTE]Seriously and honestly I am not trying to accomplish any thing other than to try and figure out why you chose to take the path of greatest resistance which apparently ended up accomplishing nothing...I am not judging your action and Im not telling you should not do it..Im just trying to understand something that to me makes no sense, so please don't read deeper into it.

As for quoting Pink Floyd to me....I was in school before it hit the charts. [img]smile.gif[/img] Nice song very popular and very lucrative, it earned lots of establishment capitol [img]smile.gif[/img]

You say you stood up for your self, and that you defied authority...do you think no one has authority over you? or that it is uhnearned? Those teachers paid their dues in years of sweat and hard work so that they could try...just try to help those who came after them to get through the necessary stuff so that their lives just might be easier. You focus on what you preceive as a power trip, I focus on a roudy kid who just wants to cause problems and who has no life experience in the real world as of yet.....(Im speaking in general now not about you in particular or me either for that matter)

Why should someone who has earned their position of authority bow before you?

Again, Im asking for enlightenment and not trying to tell you how to live your life. To me you just seem like another angry youg guy who thinks that they have all the answers...and I mean no offense in any of this post. If you want to spread your message you have to expect people to ask you to explain it to them.

Old 05-30-2002, 11:59 PM   #32
MagiK

Just a comment on somehting here....I have noticed over the last couple of decades that if you work toward your goal by working within the sytem rather than trying to fight against it...you tend to make much more progress toward your goals...unless your goal is anarchy...in which case, hey...fight all you like

Old 05-31-2002, 12:18 AM   #33
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Seriously and honestly I am not trying to accomplish any thing other than to try and figure out why you chose to take the path of greatest resistance which apparently ended up accomplishing nothing...I am not judging your action and Im not telling you should not do it..Im just trying to understand something that to me makes no sense, so please don't read deeper into it.

As for quoting Pink Floyd to me....I was in school before it hit the charts. [img]smile.gif[/img] Nice song very popular and very lucrative, it earned lots of establishment capitol [img]smile.gif[/img]

You say you stood up for your self, and that you defied authority...do you think no one has authority over you? or that it is uhnearned? Those teachers paid their dues in years of sweat and hard work so that they could try...just try to help those who came after them to get through the necessary stuff so that their lives just might be easier. You focus on what you preceive as a power trip, I focus on a roudy kid who just wants to cause problems and who has no life experience in the real world as of yet.....(Im speaking in general now not about you in particular or me either for that matter)

Why should someone who has earned their position of authority bow before you?

Again, Im asking for enlightenment and not trying to tell you how to live your life. To me you just seem like another angry youg guy who thinks that they have all the answers...and I mean no offense in any of this post. If you want to spread your message you have to expect people to ask you to explain it to them.[/QB]
It would be a severe waste of energy for me to take offense to anything on these boards.

Have you ever stood for something?

I had a small viewpoint, not all the answers. As for being young, those events occured in 1989. The new speech teacher the following year gave me full support in realizing a similar project that was a video documentry.

It actually seems to me like you have all the answers, so why are you seeking enlightenment from me? "spread my message" hahahahahaha!!!
Perhaps you support censorship and believe we should all be docile lambs just because someone is older than us. I employ 14 year olds in the inner-city that are more mature and resposible than many many many many many adults. Besides these people deserve fair respect and due recourse to have it.

Again you fail to miss the point...just because a person is a teacher doent mean they should be, or that they make the correct desicions. Some people have power trips and take them out on those weakest around them. Being an individual who runs across the grain I was an easy target.

This is pointless and stupid. You really had little business replying to my post in such a assuming and demeaning manor. Dont tell me you mean no offense, perhaps unintentionally, your posts speak for themselves.
Old 05-31-2002, 12:29 AM   #34
MagiK

Quote:
[/QB]
It would be a severe waste of energy for me to take offense to anything on these boards.

Have you ever stood for something?

I had a small viewpoint, not all the answers. As for being young, those events occured in 1989. The new speech teacher the following year gave me full support in realizing a similar project that was a video documentry.

It actually seems to me like you have all the answers, so why are you seeking enlightenment from me? "spread my message" hahahahahaha!!!
Perhaps you support censorship and believe we should all be docile lambs just because someone is older than us. I employ 14 year olds in the inner-city that are more mature and resposible than many many many many many adults. Besides these people deserve fair respect and due recourse to have it.

Again you fail to miss the point...just because a person is a teacher doent mean they should be, or that they make the correct desicions. Some people have power trips and take them out on those weakest around them. Being an individual who runs across the grain I was an easy target.

This is pointless and stupid. You really had little business replying to my post in such a assuming and demeaning manor. Dont tell me you mean no offense, perhaps unintentionally, your posts speak for themselves.
[/QUOTE]

Umm if this is how you treat everyone who tries to understand you, no wonder you don't get much in the way of support...I made reasonable inquiries and did my best to get a dialog going and all you do is turn and around and attack me for asking questions. I had as much right replying to your post as anyone on IW, this is a free and open forum...or so I thought...maybe you might look at your hostility issues. And I will point out that that you seem to want to portrey me as accusing you of being young..I didt in my post explain to you that I was not talking about you or me specificly in that sentence but in the general sense of you or me or they and them..so please quit trying to find offense where there is none.

I stand for quite a few things and have put my life on the line to protect them on several occasions so you don't have a lock on the "cause" thing.

My last thought on this is that if make a post and someone asks questions..maybe you should try and answer them instead of alienating them...at least when the questions are honest and on topic.

EDIT: Someone mentioned my typo's make it look like Im angry or worked up...trust me the typos are just a lack of typing skills.

[ 05-31-2002, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 05-31-2002, 12:36 AM   #35
MagiK

[quote]Originally posted by Chewbacca:
Quote:
I noticed that you use a word made popular by Heinlein in the 60's (Grock) Do you know what it means?

Old 05-31-2002, 12:48 AM   #36
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
quote:
...snip... Cool thing is that suspension to me was like paid vacation. No need to skip, fake sick, or go out of my way to get caught smoking. [img]smile.gif[/img]
So what did you accomplish? Did you help a single child in the inner city? Did you do any good for the other people in the class who just wanted to do their projects and get out? What exactly was the grand outcome of that whole demented scene? All you did was show that you could be a a jerk in the eyes of your teachers and probably most of your class mates....Why not put some of that energy and outrage at the establshment to good use by doing something that MIGHT have made a difference. Pissing people off does not get any message across, as can been seen by my examples here on IW in certain threads. Any Asshole can run around and just disrupt their surroundings, and I am pretty sure that that was not what you intended to project to those around you....so again I ask, what do you really think you accomplished? [img]graemlins/stunned.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/question.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/question.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/question.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]
Quote:
All you did was show that you could be a a jerk in the eyes of your teachers and probably most of your class mates....
Thanks for calling me a jerk.

Quote:
Did you do any good for the other people in the class who just wanted to do their projects and get out?
Here is an assumption.

Quote:
Did you help a single child in the inner city?
Quote:
so again I ask, what do you really think you accomplished? [img]graemlins/stunned.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/question.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/question.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/question.gif[/img]
What is this supposed to mean?

Quote:
Why not put some of that energy and outrage at the establshment to good use by doing something that MIGHT have made a difference.
Another assumtion.

You really expected a friendly reply to this? an honest answer to a holier than thou sarcastic question? You drew a conclusion in the guise of a question. And you expect me to be nice?
Old 05-31-2002, 12:49 AM   #37
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
quote:
Quote:
I noticed that you use a word made popular by Heinlein in the 60's (Grock) Do you know what it means?
it means: To Drink deeply.
Old 05-31-2002, 01:14 AM   #38
Gammit
Elminster

Thanks a lot, Someguy!!! Don't worry, not all teachers buy into this bull@#$&. In fact, at my university we all agreed that these zero-tolerance policies were crap (as well as others), and that it's up to the newbees like myself to change the system. As a teacher, I promise that there ARE people out there who use that lump on their necks located three feet above our butts.

Teacher Gammit
Old 05-31-2002, 02:10 AM   #39
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
I heard today that an Aussie middle-school boy was thrown out of school for bringing a picture of a knife to school to share with his friends. Talk about no tolerance! I thought I had heard the worst when the kids were thrown out for playing in the playground using their fingers to imitate a gun, but to be suspended for a picture? What has become of this miserable world?

Was the teacher afraid the kid would paper-cut somebody?
I can guarentee that you did not here this correctly, if indeed it did happen.
We do not have middle school.

K-6 Primary School
7-12 High School aka Secondary School
College/University/TAFE etc. Tertertiary Education

On a more serious note, do you know what part of Australia this was in ?? What year he was in ??
Old 05-31-2002, 02:31 AM   #40
Alexander
Drow Warrior

Quote:
quote:
So what did you accomplish? Did you help a single child in the inner city? Did you do any good for the other people in the class who just wanted to do their projects and get out? What exactly was the grand outcome of that whole demented scene? All you did was show that you could be a a jerk in the eyes of your teachers and probably most of your class mates....Why not put some of that energy and outrage at the establshment to good use by doing something that MIGHT have made a difference. Pissing people off does not get any message across, as can been seen by my examples here on IW in certain threads. Any Asshole can run around and just disrupt their surroundings, and I am pretty sure that that was not what you intended to project to those around you....so again I ask, what do you really think you accomplished? [img]graemlins/stunned.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/question.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/question.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/question.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]Now wait a second. Nowadays teachers and school administrators are basically a bunch of out-of-touch hypocrites who have no idea what would be best for any student. I'm sure if they were forced to go through the schools they work in, they would hate it. I applaud what Chewbacca did, at least if his teachers were real jerks, and I think that you lecturing him was totally uncalled for, especially since you probably don't know the full details of the situation. Not everyone has to be establishment-loving.

I remember a story my sister told me about her son - he was having a discussion with his friends the week after Columbine, and he mentioned that he could understand why the kids could be angry at their peers - after all, he was picked on for much of his life - and some idiot kids at the next table overheard it, thought "he's going to go shoot people", and told the principal, who sent him home for the day. Bear in mind that he thought Columbine was a tragedy and he never said he agreed with Harris and Klebold at all. Things like this are beyond ridiculous, and these idiots need a swift kick in the rear.

[ 05-31-2002, 02:35 AM: Message edited by: Alexander ]