Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2003, 06:18 PM   #31
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
]So how did property marriage work with the majority of serfs and peasants in the good old days Hierophant? Love would have been as big a factor then as now. Unless you have been watching to many costume dramas that give the false impresion that there was anything but an extremley small percentage who actually had property.
peasants and serfs had no property, so they could marry whoever they wanted. Nothing to lose, nothing to gain (not a bad situation to be in really). But being able to marry whomever you want is a pretty high price to pay for not actually mattering as a class or person...
Love marriage seems to gain momentum from modern-marriage 'blurring of the classes'. As fewer people own land and property, but live above the poverty line, the opinions of what marriage should be used for change. Which is fair enough. I still personally think love marriage is ineffective though, and it won't stand the test of time. Letting emotions guide social custom is simply too erratic for most people to cope with. Just look around you at how many divorcees there are these days. People are fickle in who they do and do not 'love', property isn't.

It's not an attack, it's not even a big deal. Personally I will leave my emotions for women whom I do not have duty's to uphold with.

[ 07-29-2003, 02:50 AM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]
Old 07-28-2003, 08:50 PM   #32
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Hierophant, I guess you do not believe in the concept of a "soul mate."
<b>Order of the Holy Flame</b><br /><i>Member of Clan HADB</i><br /><b>Laughing Hyena</b><br /><i>Clan Liaison, IW Peace Keeping Force</i><br /><i>[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com/Forum/index.php?board=29\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River VoiceChat!</a><br />Last Saturday of every month. <br />See the forum link for scheduling!<br /><b> </b><br /></i><br /><b>Admin and Co-Owner of [url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River</a></b><br />[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\"></a>
Old 07-29-2003, 02:47 AM   #33
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Reeka:
Hierophant, I guess you do not believe in the concept of a "soul mate."
No, can't say that I do.

[ 07-29-2003, 03:45 AM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]
Old 07-29-2003, 12:25 PM   #34
BaRoN NiGhT

hey guys! i think this thread is going too far away.its a very-not-good-thing discussing religions, racism and such things like that.especially if u dont know about it very much.some of the threads may make some people angry about what u say about their religion. (i wonder why the moederators didn't close or lock this thread?).please guys, dont judge others religion if u dont know what your talking about! do not continue this thread...

------------------
Old 07-29-2003, 12:47 PM   #35
GForce

Religions are so weird and discriminating. I'm glad I'm not a member in any religion. IMO its for the masses. Independency is the best. Live your own principals and values and change them when you need to.

Old 07-29-2003, 04:53 PM   #36
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by GForce:
Religions are so weird and discriminating. I'm glad I'm not a member in any religion. IMO its for the masses. Independency is the best. Live your own principals and values and change them when you need to.
*sigh*

Like I'm really going to throw away my source of peace, healing, joy and meaning, love, community, growth and inspiration, simply because some thread derailing person decrees it thus on an internet forum.

Jesus rocks.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 07-29-2003, 04:56 PM   #37
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Jesus rocks.
Jesus saves... everyone else takes 2D6 fire damage.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:56 PM   #38
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Now can we get back on topic?

Old 07-29-2003, 04:57 PM   #39
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Djinn Raffo:
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Jesus rocks.
Jesus saves... everyone else takes 2D6 fire damage. [/QUOTE]LOL!