Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2002, 10:24 PM   #31
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Australia has fences as the norm. Country and city. Fences keep your cattle or sheep or pigs on your land. In the city it keeps the ber swilling pigs out of your front lawn.

Singapore had WALLS and moats (open drains) in many areas. So many houses had walls there.

Actually most places I've been to have fenced-in private properties. America has been an abberation in that regard.

Ireland for example had stone fences everywhere. Dotting hillsides as far as the eye could see. Wales had large hedges in areas I went to.

[ 08-01-2002, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: Yorick ]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 08-01-2002, 10:29 PM   #32
Animal
Gold Dragon

My yards are fenced, but I have dogs, so it's a must have. A 5 foot fence still doesn't stop the damn deer from coming in the yard though. Damn things eat all the flowers and plants. Barkley almost had one the other day, but it hopped the fence.
It's probable about 50/50 up here for fences. Heavy urban areas don't have fences while the rural areas where I live do. Kind of a wishy, washy answer, but there you go...
Old 08-01-2002, 10:30 PM   #33
Animal
Gold Dragon

My yards are fenced, but I have dogs, so it's a must have. A 5 foot fence still doesn't stop the damn deer from coming in the yard though. Damn things eat all the flowers and plants. Barkley almost had one the other day, but it hopped the fence.
It's probable about 50/50 up here for fences. Heavy urban areas don't have fences while the rural areas where I live do. Kind of a wishy, washy answer, but there you go...
Old 08-01-2002, 10:39 PM   #34
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Animal:
Well the deer probably think you're a damn pest for putting fences in front of those nice juicy plants and flowers, that won't grow anywhere else because of the roads, houses, apartments, cars, railway lines, office blocks etc etc...

They're only being true to the way they were made. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 08-02-2002, 07:18 AM   #35
PeaceMaker
Elite Waterdeep Guard

LOL well if we didnt have fences here in oz I think most of the people would probably kill eachother or have them arrested for trespassing. I cant stand dogs and if we didnt have a fence and if one of them should poop...then I would be most upset....dont get me wrong I love dogs its just their poop I cant handle. Naaaaaaaaaaaa unfortunately lots of australians dont trust eachother so fences are definately in over here .....thats as far as Im concerned anyway.
Old 08-02-2002, 07:28 AM   #36
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Wow, some pretty interesting answers! I'm seeing that in a lot of countries, hedges, walls or fences are common and not having one is the odd event.

I'm not sure if we have such a mix in the US because it just costs alot for fences or greenery or if there's some other reason? Were people more 'neighborly' in the old days? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2002, 08:14 AM   #37
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Someone from Georgia reporting in on fence situations here...*snaps a salute to the Fence Queen Cloudy* [img]tongue.gif[/img]

From what I've seen of Georgia, we have a tendency to mostly fence to keep dogs in (or out [img]tongue.gif[/img] ). Or if you just aren't very sociable. On my street, only a couple houses have fenced back yards and that's because they have dogs. I almost fenced in my back yard when I got a dog, but she's small and we housetrained her quickly and she stays in the yard when we take her out.

But asthetically, I'd LOVE to have a hedge or decorative trees like Bradford Pears - just to mark the border of my property. Still inviting for the neighbors, yet defining. Socialogically (sp?), though, I think we all have an inner need to 'mark our territory' in some way. And building a fence or planting a hedge is a heck of a lot less troublesome than peeing on the perimeter every day. [img]tongue.gif[/img] LOLOL!
[img]\"http://home.earthlink.net/~moraine_sedai/_uimages/dragonmage.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/hero2.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Alureth...Dragon friend of Lady Breanna<br /><br />Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.<br />Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force<br />Mother Hen of IW and Mage extraordinaire.<br /><br />Utterly in love with my soul mate, Hiram.
Old 08-02-2002, 08:58 AM   #38
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

My neighborhood is about 50/50, I live on an acre, and I fenced in my back yard when I married the Queen of the Home Improvers, AKA Galadria. So, now we let the dogs out in the basck yard whenever we don't want to be in constant attendance, and Will can go and play in his sandbox, etc., without Gal fretting about more than mosquitoes.
Old 08-02-2002, 09:16 AM   #39
Donut
Jack Burton

Ananova:

Couple jailed for cutting down hedge

A middle-aged couple are beginning a month-long jail sentence for cutting down a hedge in breach of a civil court injunction.

Grandparents Malcolm and Marlene Girling of Norfolk, were each jailed for 28 days by a judge at Norwich County Court.

It follows a number of disputes with neighbours John and Lynda Williams.

One of the Girlings' three daughters, Victoria Hewitt, says she is disgusted by the imprisonment of her parents.

"We're heartbroken. How could this happen because of a dispute about a hedge?" said Mrs Hewitt.

"They have lived there for 26 years. My mum has never even had a parking ticket. Now they are in prison.

"Everyone keeps taking about too many people being in prison. And my mum and dad are in prison for cutting a hedge. It's disgusting. How do you think we feel?"

Story filed: 09:36 Friday 2nd August 2002
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 08-02-2002, 09:40 AM   #40
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

ROTFL!@ Donut's story! I've heard of lots of weird disputes over borders and property lines. Some are too absurd to believe and some just pathetic, this one sounds like a cross. Did the article actually say what the dispute was over?

DragonMage.. [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh3.gif[/img] I dare say, a fence is much simpler than attempting to pee on my whole property border daily! HAHAHAHHHAHAHA! snicker [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]

I have a fence because I'm on a corner lot near one entrance to my neighborhood (I'm at the beginning of a neighborhood that ends in three cul de sacs) and behind me is a vacant lot that at one time was most likely the depot for salt and sand for the local road crews but is now owned by the local coroner (cousin to my dentist as it happens) and he uses the big old garage there to store recreational vehicles and boats for himself and friends. The lot has several RV's and campers and trucks on it too. Basically, the local kids (and many adults!) would just cut through my yard to the lot behind me, instead of walking along the road a few extra steps. This got highly annoying when they'd ride bikes and walk dogs through my yard as the lawn was starting to grow and while I was THERE, planting trees or shrubs! It showed a decided lack of respect for my property rights so my roomie and I said FENCE! And did. A few kids broke a portion of the fencing that extends past the back corner of my yard
but we've fixed that up with a lovely thorn bush

Yorick, that's interesting that your experience is that most places do fence or delineate the properties in some way. Maybe people were so overwhelmed by all the wide open spaces here at first that they just didn't bother? Dunno.

As for the farm areas or places near cattle/farms etc.. I can see where they'd fence to keep animals out.. even deer if you plant yummy shrubs and things. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 08-02-2002, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]