Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2003, 09:17 AM   #21
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
You people are just dying to find some sinister plot to assign to GWB sheesh...did you know that more than half of that wording was standard boilerplate for declaring a national holiday....geez get over it already....I know Canada also has a few.....odd....holidays and there are any number of suspect Holidays from around the world..so if they want to take a day and celebrate national loyalty then fine...Loyalty is not a dirty word ya know...it is considered a virtue by some people.

Edit: Look out world the evil Americans are coming..One Nation to rule them all, One Nation to find them, One nation to bring them all and in the darkness bind them....in the land of SUV's where the ozone lies.
Although you make a good point, America is the only country I know of that sees patriotism to equal loyalty. I still stand for what I said. Not many countries celebrate a day for showing your loyalty. And this does sound like campaigning whether you like it or not. And I would have said the same had it been a democrat as president, so would most other non-Americans too you know. Up here we have pretty much the same holidays as you do although we call them by another name, Veteran's day is Remembrance day. I doubt most countries do not celebrate a loyalty day. Loyalty may very well be a virtue or a vice, but it is not, contrary to some beliefs on your lovely country, not American. And no there is no sarcasm here, I do find your country to be lovely. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-06-2003, 09:18 AM   #22
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by harleyquinn:
quote:

Edit: Look out world the evil Americans are coming..One Nation to rule them all, One Nation to find them, One nation to bring them all and in the darkness bind them....in the land of SUV's where the ozone lies.
SHHH, Magik, you're going to tip off the Canadians to our plot for world domination. [img]graemlins/showoff.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]Tip off? This is common knowledge! [img]tongue.gif[/img] Couldn´t help myself with such an open invitation.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:33 AM   #23
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by WillowIX:
quote:
You people are just dying to find some sinister plot to assign to GWB sheesh...did you know that more than half of that wording was standard boilerplate for declaring a national holiday....geez get over it already....I know Canada also has a few.....odd....holidays and there are any number of suspect Holidays from around the world..so if they want to take a day and celebrate national loyalty then fine...Loyalty is not a dirty word ya know...it is considered a virtue by some people.

Although you make a good point, America is the only country I know of that sees patriotism to equal loyalty. I still stand for what I said. Not many countries celebrate a day for showing your loyalty. And this does sound like campaigning whether you like it or not. And I would have said the same had it been a democrat as president, so would most other non-Americans too you know. Up here we have pretty much the same holidays as you do although we call them by another name, Veteran's day is Remembrance day. I doubt most countries do not celebrate a loyalty day. Loyalty may very well be a virtue or a vice, but it is not, contrary to some beliefs on your lovely country, not American. And no there is no sarcasm here, I do find your country to be lovely. [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]No worries Willow [img]smile.gif[/img] But If what you say is true about Canadian Hollidays is true, then I think some of my Comrades in Arms from the Canadian military were pulling a fast one on us taking several extra "holidays" off of classes to go play golf [img]smile.gif[/img]

As for the wording of the enactment...even if it sounds like campaigning, sorry to say its the standard language for doing such things.

Old 05-06-2003, 09:33 AM   #24
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
LOL H [img]smile.gif[/img] ok, thats a deal though Ill be surprised if we are all still on this board when next a dem sits atop the hill [img]smile.gif[/img] and see my edit on the last post
Heh, I'll be surprised too, Bush seems to be a shoe-in, ah well [img]smile.gif[/img]
And yes, America is like, totally evil, and stuff. Like, I dunno, it just is.

Old 05-06-2003, 09:35 AM   #25
MagiK

Sorry I didn't put enough smileys in my original post to convey the lightness of heart with wich I responded. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-06-2003, 09:48 AM   #26
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Interesting to me that May Day never has been a major holiday, here. Labor Day is the first monday in September, but no-one really sees it as a working-class thing. And, there is a long, long list of special "Days", like Cartoonists' Day, that nobody even ever hears about, because they are just to make some group feel happy. That, by the way, was May First, too. I would have hugged a cartoonist, if I knew any.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:49 AM   #27
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
Heh, I'll be surprised too, Bush seems to be a shoe-in, ah well

Bah..go back to your rolling hills and sheep, dear, leave civilization to the rest of us.

Geez people, you can be sinister and sarcastic and totally paranoid with the worst of them! [img]tongue.gif[/img] So if I proclaim May 1st the day to glorify my belly button am I an evil Hilterette preparing to overthrow the free world? [img]tongue.gif[/img] Hmmm...contemplates the possibilities....BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! ahem...*demure smile* Now where was I?...Oh yes...

Actually, I'm thrilled to see that someone noticed our kids don't learn much about HISTORY these days! Schools actually have gotten so politically correct as to take OUT any mention of George Washington or Thomas Jefferson from textbooks! Why? Well, those men, in that time, held slaves, and thus they are forbidden in texts because someone might be upset....to hell with HISTORY and what actually happened...let's sanititze it so our future leaders have no clue about the good or the bad back then....sigh... sorry, but pc only goes so far for me, before it hits the realm of the absurd....

edited for absurd typos and hanging quote tags! LOL

[ 05-06-2003, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 05-06-2003, 10:03 AM   #28
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
No worries Willow [img]smile.gif[/img] But If what you say is true about Canadian Hollidays is true, then I think some of my Comrades in Arms from the Canadian military were pulling a fast one on us taking several extra "holidays" off of classes to go play golf [img]smile.gif[/img]

As for the wording of the enactment...even if it sounds like campaigning, sorry to say its the standard language for doing such things.
Yepp they sure did. I don´t know if you can call it taking extra holidays. You do know the Canadian military is on 3 workdays a week right? Seriously, every province has its own holidays. Disregarding the worldwide holidays, like christmas, we have 5 holidays up here. Victoria day, Canada day, Labour day, Remembrance day and Civic holiday. Alberta celebrates Family day, and Quebec and Newfoundland celebrate St. Jean Baptiste day/Discovery day.

Edit: Cloudy, I can accept 1st of May as the Cloudy's bellybutton day. Even as a Canadian holiday. Can we celebrate it here on IW?

[ 05-06-2003, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]
Old 05-06-2003, 10:10 AM   #29
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:

Uh-oh, our facade seems to be fading.
CLOUDY, history wasn't taught that well in schools when I was in it either. If it didn't revolve around a war, we didn't learn it. We never learned about Fredrick Douglas or Harriet Tubman, never talked about the Civil Rights movement, never talked about the Cuban Missle Crisis, heck, until I took a class about Russian history in college, I thought the revolution there was something that took place centuries ago, instead of early 1900's.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:22 AM   #30
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by harleyquinn:
Uh-oh, our facade seems to be fading.
CLOUDY, history wasn't taught that well in schools when I was in it either. If it didn't revolve around a war, we didn't learn it. We never learned about Fredrick Douglas or Harriet Tubman, never talked about the Civil Rights movement, never talked about the Cuban Missle Crisis, heck, until I took a class about Russian history in college, I thought the revolution there was something that took place centuries ago, instead of early 1900's.
Oh my! [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] I know my school was exceptionally good for a little suburban High School, but I had all of that and more in my classes! Heck I even had an elective class just on the history or the state we were in! I took political science and Shakespeare classes while we took rocks apart and began rudimentary physics in science...not that I remember it all, but heck, diagraming positrons and such sticks with one, even if the details fade... [img]smile.gif[/img]

It always amazes me when students arrive at the college where I work and haven't done even the basics! Hmm..amaze isn't the right word..appalls is more like it... A second year college student was supposed to do a paper on a mid 20th century topic in a Soviet culture/literature course and turned in a lovely paper analyzing "Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake Ballet"... and another did a passable job on How St. Petersburg was founded.....sigh... Maybe they're all just timeline impaired? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 05-06-2003, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]