Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2003, 11:46 AM   #21
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Okay. Against my preference, I edited my post. I would note that one should question their consumption of food if they can't handle watching the process by which it is made.

I think we'd all be just a little bit more in touch with our mortality and humanity if we still had to go out in the barn and kill Bessie ourselves for dinner.

Oh, and I am a vegetarian, but it's more for food safety reasons. As far as the animal rights debate goes, I find the questions very interesting but I 'm not firm regarding the answers.

[edit]
Hey Nacht:
If you are comparing these pictures to those pictures of dead babies I went off about, aren't you tacitly admitting that these animals aren't mere chattel property???? I mean, you compared these pictures to dead babies, not smashed bottle of wine. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
For the record, I didn't say that they disturbed *ME* Timber... I used to work in a slaughter house, and I've slaughtered farm raised animals of my own, for my own table, before. [img]tongue.gif[/img] I was just making the point that you got bent out of shape about someone else posting disturbing images in regards to a post of yours. [img]smile.gif[/img]

And no, I'm not comparing the dead babies to the dead animals. There is NO comparison. I was just saying that the pics would probably be disturbing to some(obviously they were, Harley was upset), and that there was a parallel AFA the posting of disturbing pics just to make a point. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[img]tongue.gif[/img] on the wine comment. [img]smile.gif[/img] I wasn't one of those that smashed wine. I prefer to *get* smashed *drinking* wine.

Hmmmm...'Food Safety Reasons'. Interesting. [img]smile.gif[/img] Most vegetarians I, personally, know say that their objection is moral. It's nice to meet someone with a (to me) more logical reason. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Erm...what are the food safety reasons, if I may ask? [img]smile.gif[/img] Umm...I have to get going(work), but I'd be interested in reading about it tomorrow. [img]smile.gif[/img]

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"
Old 03-24-2003, 01:45 PM   #22
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Let's keep this from personal insults and if anyone gets heated up over any issue, this one included, remember to use your back button and don't post if you are angry enough to flame someone.

For the record, I am very much in favor of laws to protect living things from undue cruelty and the type of vicious behavior this thread is about. I very much support the people who fought to make animal abuse like the killing of that bird or the kitten mentioned, a felony in my state. Property or not, they are living creatures and if anyone wants to dispute the fact that my sofa wouldn't feel pain on being burnt, while my cat would, I'd have to leave the thread as I'd likely say something rude.

Obviously Nacht and I don't agree on some issues. I can honestly say that I don't think he'd hurt any animal willingly, so please don't jump to conclusions on that front.

However, he's still a long way from acknowledging that my cats really do own him.....
Old 03-24-2003, 01:53 PM   #23
Kaltia
Jack Burton

I agree with Cloudy. I saw a schoolkid taking pot-shots at one of my cats, a really old one with authritis, with sharp stones. Naturally I went over to him and damn near shoved the stones down his throat and up other orifices not designed for such activities, but once I'd managed to stop telling him in no uncertain terms exactly WHAT he was related from, I asked him why he thought it was different to throw stones at a cat rather than a toddler. He replied, "I dunno." A look at my expression must have shown him this would not be enough, so he added, "It's just a f**king cat!"
At this point I punched him in the groin and left him mewling on the pavement.

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 03-24-2003, 02:03 PM   #24
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I, well, not to offend personally, but, well... wait a minute! What about offending these animals?!!!???!!?? No rights? !!!??? OK Cloudster, good advice...I am outta here!!!!!!
[img]graemlins/1pissed.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/1pissed.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/1pissed.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/1pissed.gif[/img]
Old 03-24-2003, 02:30 PM   #25
Annatar
Mephistopheles

I really saw some disturbing things on this thread, I'm not naming anybody... the only thing I say that I'm a cat lover and I have 3 cats that I love.

You DO NOT OWN a cat... nor any other living creature, people have this strange way that chickens/any other liviling creature on this big globe are property of humans, let me say you one thing... the world will be a better place without humans...!

I'm going to watch a movie right know... i'll be back I guess because I'm not done here... [img]graemlins/1pissed.gif[/img]
Old 03-24-2003, 05:55 PM   #26
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Nachtrafe:
Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
strange law you people have, over here we can do anything to the animals and nobody bothered with it.
Yeah well, we live in a rather stupid country sometimes.

And, before anyone flames me to death, I'm not saying what this nutjob did was right, normal, or good...it wasn't, it was sick. I just happen to have an issue with the govt imposing legal penalties on what people do WITH THEIR OWN PROPERTY! I, personally, happen to think that animal cruelty laws are some of the dumbest things that we've ever come up with in this country. You paid for the animal, it's your property, as long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of another *HUMAN*, you can do whatever the heck you want with it...end of sentence. I mean, we dont have laws that disallow you from lighting your couch on fire, or BBQing your shoes. :ugh:

Again...I'm not saying that the acts of this person are positive or good...I'm just saying that they shouldn't be illegal!
[/QUOTE]From your post, it seems that you feel that a human life is more important than any other life? I for one, don't even kill spiders intentionally. They are carefully 'evicted' from the house until such times as they feel like coughing up some rent money.

Of course that aside, when you get nut jobs running around BBQ'ing pets sooner or later they're going to get tired of animals and move on to humans. Stopping it now would be a good thing.
Old 03-24-2003, 10:35 PM   #27
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Nachtrafe:
EDIT: Upon further consideration of my post, I've decided to remove it. I was trying, and evidently failing, to make a philosophical point regarding the role of government in our daily lives. I failed, and managed to insult, piss off, and hurt people that I care about. I'm very sorry.

Just for the record...I, IN NO WAY condone the abuse, torture, or deliberate harm of pets. That wasn't my point, in any way. Re-reading my post, I can see how it came across that way. Again, I'm sorry.

I would like to ask everyone who quoted me to please remove my original post, as I have no desire to start/continue/provoke a fight.

Thanks.
Nachtrafe
I replaced two of my previous posts with this post. I wanted to add this to the bottom of the thread so that people would be aware of it.

Nacht

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"
Old 03-24-2003, 10:40 PM   #28
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

let me see. okay. I need to say this.

From where I come from. The awareness of caring for animal " overhere" is not as advance as " overthere ". " Overhere " animals are basically treated as animals. Humans are more important. " Overhere" humans got a lot of law protecting themselves but no such law to protect animal ( except ofcourse those endangered one ). If someone "overhere" mutilated an animal. it's doesn't mean anything. However if that someone mutilated another human. you can bet it will become a hot coffee shop topic.

Also, do you know that animals such as dogs or cats is a delicacy "overhere" ? Yes, "overhere" we eat those animals. we eat them as much as we eat chicken or pork. yes, that's not a suprise.

so I guess there is a big gap of thinking between " overhere " and " overthere ".
Old 03-25-2003, 04:23 AM   #29
The Ornery One
Drow Warrior

I hope I can keep my comments on this subject from offending anyone. In my view, animals (mainly domesticated pets) are very much like children. You adopt them into your home (even if you payed for them), must feed and clean up after them, and take them to the vet/doctor for shots or to treat illness and injury. If you no longer wish to care for them and have thought it through, you should put some effort into finding them a new caring home.
I am in no way whatsoever a veggetarian, because that would cause me to starve to death! The only time it is alright to kill an animal is for food or to protect yourself or children (if you can't get away from the animal).
Old 03-25-2003, 05:02 AM   #30
Masklinn

Quote:
set his familys parakeet on fire
If you ever cooked crabs or mussels, you know you have to boil them alive, it's basically the same that setting birds on fire. You're, hopefully, not getting sued for cooking crabs...

However :
Quote:
paraded the birds dead body in front of peers at a New Years Eve party, and posted photos of the incident on the internet
That's stupid and mean, and show a real cruelty, almost like pourring wine on the streets. That's what got this guy into troubles.

I'm totally against that kind of behaviour.
But I'm also totally against cats. I like killing them, but when I do it, I make sure it's as quick and painfree as possible, I burry the bodies right away and don't make a website about it : I'm not a monster.