Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2002, 02:38 PM   #21
The.Relic
Red Dragon

Larry, it is true. I'm pretty sure that you came here before I did.
Hi Magik, If this were a thread where an old member posted this topic in order to differentiate us from the newer members I would agree with you entirely. But this is a case where a newer member has posted asking for their own personal imformation. There have been a number of requests regarding this in the past, some people just like to know [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-17-2002, 02:43 PM   #22
The.Relic
Red Dragon

I'm sticking with Z and Saz on this one!
Member #1 must out of necessity be, The Almighty [img]graemlins/choc.gif[/img]
I still say that those "Unseeing Eye" cultists perverted the true worship of the "All seeing, even though blind [img]graemlins/choc2.gif[/img] "!

[ 05-17-2002, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: The.Relic ]
Old 05-17-2002, 02:45 PM   #23
MagiK

Hey Relic [img]smile.gif[/img] I wasn't complaing about the thread, it was a good question...but then I started thinking about the posts in that other thread...and was surprised no one was unhappy with the "old timers" vs "newbies" feel of the User numbering system...it does tend to create a class differentiation..so thought I should ask....maybe I should have made a different thread though since it is off topic.....Ill ponder that for a bit. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-17-2002, 02:50 PM   #24
The.Relic
Red Dragon

Hi Magik! I understand what you mean, and honestly I know there are some people who do get the feeling that you have mentioned so it is a valid point. All I can say is that I know that none of us intend or desire to make anyone feel uncomfortable, and I will be the first to apologize to anyone publicly if my references to being a 'blue boarder' does make anyone feel uncomfortable. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-17-2002, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: The.Relic ]
Old 05-17-2002, 02:57 PM   #25
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I guess I don't understand where you are coming from, Magik. I mean there is certainly no "benefit" to be garnered from being and "older" member.

And as I said previously, the numbers are deceptive. There are those of us who were "blue boarders," but we all had to re-register in March 2001 when Z changed the forum. I don't recall at the time anybody rushing to register to get a low number. I think I registered the first day or two when registration opened. And I think I am #160.

I think Saz is right; probably the first two hundred or so members are the "old timers" if you will. But it doesn't matter.
<b>Order of the Holy Flame</b><br /><i>Member of Clan HADB</i><br /><b>Laughing Hyena</b><br /><i>Clan Liaison, IW Peace Keeping Force</i><br /><i>[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com/Forum/index.php?board=29\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River VoiceChat!</a><br />Last Saturday of every month. <br />See the forum link for scheduling!<br /><b> </b><br /></i><br /><b>Admin and Co-Owner of [url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River</a></b><br />[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\"></a>
Old 05-17-2002, 03:07 PM   #26
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Ask Z-Man Who Was The First Person To Register On His Blue Board. He May Remember

And No, #1 Isn't Choc...
Old 05-17-2002, 05:20 PM   #27
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Reeka:
I guess I don't understand where you are coming from, Magik. I mean there is certainly no "benefit" to be garnered from being and "older" member.

And as I said previously, the numbers are deceptive. There are those of us who were "blue boarders," but we all had to re-register in March 2001 when Z changed the forum. I don't recall at the time anybody rushing to register to get a low number. I think I registered the first day or two when registration opened. And I think I am #160.

I think Saz is right; probably the first two hundred or so members are the "old timers" if you will. But it doesn't matter.
Hi Reeka..Ill try to explain here. There is no special benefit from having a personalized Avatar, any more than having a Low member number. The complaints about the personalized avatars was that it would create a "class" system and make people feel sad that they couldnt have one. While I personally don't care about my user number, I see the posts about low user numbers just as stratifying as a special Avatar would be. If you have anything that distinguishes one user from another that cannot be gained by every user...you have a "Class" system. While most of the "blue boarders" dont parade around saying how great they are...there isn't any real hesitation from those members talking about being a "blue boarder" thus potentially alienating those of us who were not here for the blue board. I thought the argument against the personalized avatars ridiculous, I also think it is also silly to be envious of low numbers....to me they are the same thing and should be treated the same....or ignored all together [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-17-2002, 05:53 PM   #28
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Magik, the reason people were against the special avatars is because they would be given to people who contributed money to Ironworks. That is not something that everyone is in a position to do. The thing about members numbers is comparing apples and oranges. There in no way that all over 7,000 members could possibly have joined on the same day at the same exact time. And as I said, "blue boarders" or older members or whatever are not getting anything special because they have been here longer.

I am sorry, but I think your logic breaks down in trying to compare this to people who are against something being done to distinguish those who contribute monetarily to IW and those who do not.

We have three "classes" if you would here at IW: Administrator (Z), moderators, and members. That is it.

If Z instituted some sort of "blue boarders club" with special privileges or a private forum or something, I would agree that you have a point.

Where things stand now though----you don't. Apples and oranges.
<b>Order of the Holy Flame</b><br /><i>Member of Clan HADB</i><br /><b>Laughing Hyena</b><br /><i>Clan Liaison, IW Peace Keeping Force</i><br /><i>[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com/Forum/index.php?board=29\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River VoiceChat!</a><br />Last Saturday of every month. <br />See the forum link for scheduling!<br /><b> </b><br /></i><br /><b>Admin and Co-Owner of [url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River</a></b><br />[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\"></a>