Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2003, 11:15 AM   #21
Brennihelvete

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthdog:
The XP part may be partially true Brenni, but not entirely. I know that for a fact. Ive seen XP boot up with bad RAM simply to lock and reboot 5 minutes later. Again and again and again. Ive seen it with my own two eyes on several different computers. Different sticks of bad RAM. Ive NEVER seen XP shut itself down permanently just because of bad RAM. Maybe youve seen it but I havent. Nor have I ever even heard such. This is the first time Ive ever heard this. News to me.

I most definitely am not inexperienced with hardware. True that Im not Microsoft Certified but I am going to uni for it. Its also true that half the time I TEACH hardware for my instructors. They know I know my stuff.

No one program is the "be all and end all" for diagnostic software. Thats why major corporations like CompUSA have a slew of diagnostic software. Even software can be wrong. Sometimes you just have to do things the old fashioned way: one card at a time.

Ive seen faulty DVD Decoder cards do the same thing hes describing. Ive seen TV tuner cards also do it. Ive seen bad RAM make the screen do crap that looked like the screens from the Matrix. XP still rebooted though.

If that program pinpoints it and lets him fix it fine. IF it doesnt he needs to know what hes got to do in case the software fails him.
No I didnt mean it would shut down permanently at once. For me it worked for about tree weeks with a faulty RAM. It would only reboot once in a while. But one day it did indeed shut my computer down permanently. It wouldnt boot. I got several different STOP: errors depending on how I choosed to boot up. So I installed Win98, but even though it did boot in Win98 the faulty RAM generated every error thats aviable in the operative system.
I know, not all testprograms can be trusted, but it can give you some hints on what is about. I had no clue what was wrong with my computer. I found out after running that test program. The RAM test failed, and I downloaded two other RAM tests programs and they found out the same. So I sent it back to my Vendor and they found out the same thing and I got a new one for free(though they sent me another faulty one )
I say I recommend doing tests before you start to do it the other way. It can save you time and allot of work. Especially if youre not experienced with Computer Hardware. But of course if it doesnt help, then theres only one way to do it and thats removing one and one device to find out what causes the problem. Although Slicer, if youre not experienced then I would reccomend to get help from a experienced friend or something. At least the first time [img]smile.gif[/img]