Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2003, 05:39 PM   #21
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by Xen:
quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
Real Madrid. I believe their galaxy of stars will bring them the cup.
Yeah... altough i do not like Real very much(too many stars) i think they will win...

With the passes of Beckaham,Zizou`s passing and dribbling,Carlos`s defense and free kicks(curving the ball),Ronaldos` skills....

Pointless...
[/QUOTE]quite true, its all but over.
Old 09-24-2003, 01:07 AM   #22
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
No offence intended Zarr, i just think that the Spanish competition is of a higher quality than the British Premier league, higher than any other competition in Europe. But that's just my opinion.

And i didn't say that those teams are better than Man U, i said that they are at least equal to them. Galatasaray may have finished second last year, but they have made quite an impression the last few years. No other team is really eager to play against them.
Old 09-24-2003, 02:20 AM   #23
Link
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Galatasaray may have finished second last year, but they have made quite an impression the last few years. No other team is really eager to play against them.
That's because of their supporters I think. I wouldn't wanna be there as well.
Old 09-24-2003, 02:40 AM   #24
GokuZool
Lord Ao

I'm hoping a less known team will win. It's always Manchester United this and Real Madrid that. Sure, they're both quality teams, but it would be nice to an underdog win the cup this time around.

FC Porto
Deportivo La Coruña

[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2003, 02:55 AM   #25
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Galatasaray may have finished second last year, but they have made quite an impression the last few years. No other team is really eager to play against them.
That's because of their supporters I think. I wouldn't wanna be there as well. [/QUOTE]It's true that the crowd can be a factor in Istanbul, but no more than in several other European stadiums. If the hometeam is crap, the crowd can't help them into the finals. I was talking about the team. They are not to underestimate, just like the Turkish national team. We used to laugh at them, but things have changed in their favour.

Besides, what can be worse than FC Den Haag ?
Old 09-24-2003, 05:45 AM   #26
Azaghal
The Magister

Very good analysis, Zarr. As a dedicated football fan I share most of your judgements. I also agree that the Italian contenders will do good this year, especially Juventus. The Italian teams did poorly in the last years, but they can do better. I've seen a bit of Juventus on TV by now, and I think they are strong.
Also ManU is not on my list, though they started well in CL. But their Premier League appearances were rather crappy so far. Arsenal seems stronger, but what a disaster against Inter!
Real is certainly candidate number one again (by the way: Hierro was old, slow and stiff already when I was born - no, just kidding, but his time is over).
Deportivo will miss Makaay a lot this season, so I don't think they can make it.
Of course, from the German point of view Bayern München has quite an outsider chance. Last year's CL was not representative, they will be more focused this year.
Galatasaray is indeed a rather exotic tip. Spontaniously (spelling?) I know of no quality that would qualify them as a favourite.
Porto or Lyon may also have minor chances, at least bigger ones than Galatasaray.
We will see....
Old 09-24-2003, 08:26 AM   #27
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Azaghal:
Very good analysis, Zarr.
Thank you Azaghal! [img]smile.gif[/img]

I agree Porto could do well this year. Had a very sucessful season last year and I especially like there little Brazilan born Portugese internatinal Deco. He's a fantastic player!

Lyon are in a tough group Celtic/Bayern/Anderlechlt(sp?) but if they qualify they will be dangerous they certainly have a very creative midfield with Eric Carriere and Juninho and new signing Elber has always scored goals in Germany with Stuttgart and then Bayern.

Johnny: I actually agree with you about the Spanish League. I watch two Spanish league games I week and it's a better league than England. To many long balls in England for my liking

As my brother would tell you I constantly prattle on about the Spanish League being the best in the world, the level of technique is much higher than in England. I'm just not sure about Celta's and Sociedad's challenge in the Champions league this year but I'm sure Depor and Real Madrid will do well.

ADD]This is fun more football threads please!

[ 09-24-2003, 08:28 AM: Message edited by: Zarr ]
Old 09-24-2003, 09:17 AM   #28
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

I might differ, I prefer watching Italian League instead. I still think Italian league is the best in the world. I like the watch their passing style, their crunching tackle, their emotion when they foul somebody ( ever see how they seem to beg with the referee when the referee give them a yellow card? )and especially their " art of diving " . People might call it a boring league. but not to me. Sure, Italy team play very defensively. but as they say " the best defense is the best offense".

Also, last year champions league saw a very big improvement on Italy teams. Juventus, Ac Milan, Inter all go to Semi Final. with Ac Milan wining the cup thanks to penalty. I hope Italy team perform good on this season.

but alas deep in my feeling I still think Real Madrid will win the cup.
Old 09-24-2003, 04:37 PM   #29
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

Any talk about "which is the best league?" is purely subjective any way. There all different. I agree though the Italian league is a very good league. I however prefer to watch the Spanish League as it's more offensive. In Northern Ireland the Spanish and Italian league games are on TV at roughly the same time so unfortunately I can't watch both
Old 09-25-2003, 10:36 AM   #30
Vampire

Go Arsenal.... go arsenal... go arsenal... go... umm... nevermind..