Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2004, 05:25 PM   #21
MuffinGirl
Dungeon Master

I can see how hold monster and slow will help but they are magic resistant. Will it still work then? Oh and I bought (in Trademeet) this cool Club of Blackblood +3 thats has liquid poison on it. Very Very nice [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-17-2004, 03:38 AM   #22
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by MuffinGirl:
I can see how hold monster and slow will help but they are magic resistant. Will it still work then? Oh and I bought (in Trademeet) this cool Club of Blackblood +3 thats has liquid poison on it. Very Very nice [img]smile.gif[/img]
There is another club in Trademeet that is also very nice. It is called Gnasher. It is only +2 (instead of +3 like Blackblood), however, it implants slivers in your target with every hit. These slivers continue to do damage on the next two rounds (which nicely spoils any spellcasting attempts by enemies). Blackblood does extra acid damage which is also nice (since very few enemies actually protect themselves against acid), but that damage is done with each hit and does not carry over into the following rounds.

The damage from the slivers won't be enough to help you with the WolfWeres, but it is still worth getting for future confrontations with spellcasters. Give both clubs to Jaheira (since she specializes in them anyway) and you'll have a very effective pseudo-Wizard Slayer in your party. Also, if you ever install the Weimer Mod called Item Upgrade, you can actually combine these two clubs to create a +5 weapon that does the acid damage AND implants the slivers. You get the best of both clubs and the Jaheira (or anyone else proficient with clubs) can REALLY ROCK on enemy spellcasters.

As for the earlier question about needed magically enhanced AMMO, you mentioned that Minsc and Yoshimo both have magical launchers, but didn't mention anything about them having magical bolts and arrows to go with them. I assume this was just an oversight, though, and that they do have magical missiles as well as magical launchers.

As mentioned before, if your party members are causing damage, then your weapons are plenty strong enough. One problem I do see is that Minsc is using Dragon's Bane and Jaheira is using a Staff/Spear. Both of these weapons have a very HIGH "speed factor", which is actually bad. It means the weapon is so big and/or heavy that it takes longer to hit your opponent with it. The GWW's are attacking with claws that probably have a speed factor of only 1. Halberds have a speed factor of 10 (which means they will hit LAST under normal conditions - the speed factor is ADDED to your characters attack initiative). Minsc would be better off with a long sword or bastard sword. Even a 2-hand sword would be better. It is just as slow as the halberd, but at least Minsc is specialized with it (which improves his number of attacks). Give Blackblood to Jaheira. Anomen is fine with the Wyvern's Tail (since it deals out extra poison damage).

I would suggest casting Improved Haste on all 3 of your "fighters" and sending them into melee while Arcadia and Imoen cast Lower Resistance followed by Slow. Send Yoshimo in for a Backstab with his sword, then have him back off and fire his arrows.

DEFINITELY concentrate on ONE monster at a time.

BTW, if you do decide to complete the De'Arnise Keep first in order to get the Flail of Ages, that would help your characters chances, since each hit with the flail also has a chance to SLOW the target. So give the flail to Minsc or Anomen and have them "flail away" on the GWW's. Each time they hit, there is a chance they will slow the GWW's attacks AND that insane regeneration rate.

Happy Hunting. Let us know how it goes.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:39 AM   #23
nashriel
Elite Waterdeep Guard

if nothing of this works and you dont want to CLUA-kill them, i suggest you cheese up your playing style to the max. set traps then sleep, set traps then sleep, set traps then sleep, and so on and so fourth. then just let the hairy beasts follow you to your little suprise-party and wabooooom, no more mister wolfy.

this tactic is very frowned upon, and considered the cheesiest most game-exploiting way to kill an an enemy. but in your dire need of new ideas, i just had to recomend it.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:30 PM   #24
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

Six is spot on about the bug, I get it. It is practically impossible to kill them by normal means if you have this bug. Without wanting to give much away if you haven't played the game before you are likely to encounter another greater wolfwere in this dungeon. I'll bet you kill it easily. This is when I noticed something was amiss and eventually I read about the bug on the internet.

Try setting traps with Yoshimo and lead them into them and then quickly finish them off, or if all else fails lead them into a corridor you don't intend to go to again and shut the door on them.

Traps are probably your best bet that's how I killed them.

Good Luck!
Old 12-17-2004, 05:00 PM   #25
Aragorn1
Symbol of Cyric

I have never had the bug so i didn't consider it when answering, but i have heard of it, you need to find out whether it is th bug, or you are just having dificulty killing them, if its the bug the above tactical advice will NOT help, the multiple regeneration will make them nearly invincible.
Aragorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 05:18 PM   #26
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

Another possible way to reset their regeneration might be to Ctr+R them, this would have the effect of healing them to full health and resetting effects.

Ctr+Y would just kill them, Ctr+R would allow you to kill them.. I think.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:38 PM   #27
MagiK

I believe Black Blood and Gnasher can be combined by the weapons smith to form a really nice club Well with some of the Weimer Mods added that is.

I had the same problems with the GW's....they were regenerating way too fast...I had a really good party but we just couldn't kill them due to apparent bad luck with to hit rolls....Minsc was averaging a die roll of 4 for a loooong time.