Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2002, 01:43 PM   #21
MagiK

As for The ONE rings effects on all the others, If Sauron had gotten hold of the One he would have dominion over all the other great rings from what I remember, yes even the elven rings though those were created unsullied by Sauron..they were somehow tied to the one ring since once the when the ONE ring was destroyed in Mt. Doom the powers of the Elven rings went away ..inspiring most of the high elves to start a migration into the west Elrond, Galadriel, Bildo and Gandalf all left in the same group I believe.
Old 02-08-2002, 01:47 PM   #22
MagiK

Heres an interesting thought:

Lets examine the numbers of Rings:

1 ring to rule them all

3 for the Elven Kings

7 for the Dwarf Lords in their Halls of Stone

9 for Mortal Men

you will notice we are missing one of the prime numbers...1, 3, 7 and 9 are all primes...but so is 5 so where did the unmentioned 5 rings go?

I have the secret.....

The Hobbits got the 5 rings, and while the elves and Sauron weren't looking they used their rings to manipulate all the other players in middle earth...they had a huge operation going and made a fortune making book on the battles and the trials of the other races in middle earth....well what do you think?? it could be possible...

5 rings for the Hobbit hustlers in their gambling dens.........could be [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2002, 02:53 PM   #23
Chris77Se
Zhentarim Guard

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MagiK:

I was pretty sure that Sauron was Morgoths servent...or is Morgoth and Melkor the same dude? I always liked the name Morgoth..totaly badass name for a major badass dude [img]smile.gif[/img]
<hr></blockquote>

Yep, Melkor and Morgoth is the same dude. Melkor is his first name, when he was with the other Valar.
Chris77Se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 05:22 PM   #24
Tancred
White Dragon

Ok I have some stickiing points here...First, I guess I should address the thing about invisibility due to wearing the ring. All the great rings can confer invisibility or so what I read seemed to indicate, what determines if you automaticly turn invisible is your personal power. If your will is great enough you master the ring and the RING will be invisible (Gandalf always wears Narya in the time period of the books) Gandalf wearing Narya is what allows him to best the Balrog, the ring he keeps invisible as do Elrond and Galadriel you will only see the ring if A. you are one of the elder types and have the power or B. If they reveal it to you which is what Galadriel did with Frodo.

Now wearing Narya does not reveal him to Sauron because...and its a big BECAUSE ...because Sauron does not have the One ring. With the ring he would control all the other "Great" rings and would know Gandalfs whereabouts and indeed even his very thoughts.

Anyhooo I researched all this something like 20 years ago for a graduation paper I wrote [img]smile.gif[/img] I dont remember the sources but I was sure about the Ring and the Invisibility thing, Remember Tom Bombadil wore the ONE ring and DID not turn invisible. He had mastery over his own will that the ring could not break so the ring did as he bade it to. And in the books Frodo did not see Galadriels ring untill she revealed it.

Well anyhooo hope that is interesting [img]smile.gif[/img]
<hr></blockquote>

A few additions of my own... The Great Rings were not made for fighting or destroying or even defending - they were made to preserve, and to keep alive the spirit of the Eldar. Gandalf defeated the Balrog on his own merits, and good for him. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Galadriel did not 'reveal' the Ring, as such... it was Frodo's possession of the One Ring that allowed him to percieve the Ring on Galadriel's finger, IIRC.

Cool!
Old 02-09-2002, 08:27 PM   #25
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

BTW Tancred, you can tell some of those friends of yours that the Balrog most certainly do have wings!!!!
I know quite a bit about Tolkien, not as much as some, but for one thing, Balrog= has wings!!!
Old 02-09-2002, 10:54 PM   #26
MagiK

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Tancred:

A few additions of my own... The Great Rings were not made for fighting or destroying or even defending - they were made to preserve, and to keep alive the spirit of the Eldar. Gandalf defeated the Balrog on his own merits, and good for him. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Galadriel did not 'reveal' the Ring, as such... it was Frodo's possession of the One Ring that allowed him to percieve the Ring on Galadriel's finger, IIRC.

Cool!
<hr></blockquote>

Oh I agree the Ring of Fire was not a "Combat" thing however when I read the books, I got the definite feeling that the Ring helped PRESERVE Gandalf through the fight with the Balrog..I no longer recall why I got that impression, just that I did. I was always confused about what happened to Gandalf after the fight though...in some ways it sounded like he either Died or Wanted to Die but was sent back to finish the mission..so to speak.
Old 02-09-2002, 10:55 PM   #27
MagiK

Bummer no one even commented on my "Missing 5 Rings" theory
Old 02-10-2002, 04:34 PM   #28
Tancred
White Dragon

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Talthyr Malkaviel:
BTW Tancred, you can tell some of those friends of yours that the Balrog most certainly do have wings!!!!
I know quite a bit about Tolkien, not as much as some, but for one thing, Balrog= has wings!!!
<hr></blockquote>

You'd like to think it was that easy, wouldn't you? You'd like to think that no-one in the world could possibly refute that. Well, alas, the world is a strange place, and its' Tolkien fanatics are stranger. A quiet newsgroup by the name of alt.fan.tolkien was pretty much divided by that selfsame question long ago, a debate that grew into a vicious and ugly flamewar.

You see, the two sentences that caused so much contention reads thus.

'... the shadow about it reached out like two vast wings.'
'... its' wings were spread from wall to wall.'

So, there are two schools of thought. There is the claim that Balrogs DO have wings, and that the Fellowship simply couldn't see them until the Balrog was close enough. After all, the Silmarillion tells tales of Balrogs flying during the War of Wrath.
The second school believes that the Balrog is an insubstantial shape, and merely looks like it has wings. After all, you don't need wings to fly if you're a demon, and if its so-called wings were spread 'from wall to wall', then the Hall of the First Father is a quarter of a mile long - quite a distance for any wingspan.
Arguments and counterarguments include such as the Balrog couldn't have wings, because it would have flown out of the chasm; then the claim that had it is impossible to fly with wings if already tumbling.
(sigh) Who knows, eh?
Old 02-13-2002, 05:55 AM   #29
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

Bummer no one even commented on my "Missing 5 Rings" theory <hr></blockquote>

I heard somewhere a while back that Tolkien had planned the story to be longer, but the publishers (?) didn't want it too long as it would scare people off. Maybe that's where the other 5 rings went. However, I always thought that more could, and maybe was written about the 7 dwarven rings. Maybe he had to cut the story of these out to shorten it down a bit, with the 3 taken 4 destroyed put in as a way of explaination
(BTW 1 isn't technically a prime number [img]tongue.gif[/img] )
We\'ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.\"<br />Robert Wilensky <br /><br />\"Why is there only one Monopolies Commission?\" <br />Screaming Lord Sutch<br /><br />If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?
Staralfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 02:55 PM   #30
MagiK

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Staralfur:

I heard somewhere a while back that Tolkien had planned the story to be longer, but the publishers (?) didn't want it too long as it would scare people off. Maybe that's where the other 5 rings went. However, I always thought that more could, and maybe was written about the 7 dwarven rings. Maybe he had to cut the story of these out to shorten it down a bit, with the 3 taken 4 destroyed put in as a way of explaination
(BTW 1 isn't technically a prime number [img]tongue.gif[/img] )
<hr></blockquote>

Sure 1 is a prime number..it is only divisible by 1 and itself...jsut because it is one doesnt disqualify it. At least thats that the catholic nuns taught me in grade school [img]smile.gif[/img]