Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2002, 06:17 PM   #21
Magness
Quintesson

Cloudy,

Here's a link to the BIS forum and a thread on Battle Squares.

http://feedback.blackisle.com/forums...threadid=54549

But to boil it down a little, here's a few tips:

Best class to use:
A fully buffed up tank (i.e. fighter, paladin, barbarian, ranger). They have the best to-hit rolls. And the best of these is the barbarian, IMHO, because they have the most HP.

But before starting a new battle, buff your tank and summon a horde of monsters.

Strategy:
I had my spellcasters cast stoneskin, mage armor, and champions strength on my barbarian and Emotion: Hope on my Barbarian and the skellies. This really made my barb much tougher against those tough monsters.

Make certain that your tank carries both a slashing and a bludgeoning weapon. Most of the time, my barb used his great sword, but would switch against monsters with lower resistances against bludgeoning weapons.

When starting a new rank, I alway tried to earn the levels in reverse, i.e. 7,6,5,4,3. Why? Since the monsters that popped in random, you never know how tough a series of battles could be. If I could make it all the way to 5 squares won, go for 6, etc. But if in the 2nd or 3rd battle (for example), I ran into a really tough monster that wiped out most of my skellies, then I'd fight the battle that would give me the win. Sometimes, I got lucky and could finish a level with enough skellies left to go for the 3 or 4 square level.

A couple of times, I managed to beat the monster and finish the "game" with only a handful of HP left and only a couple of seconds left on the clock. The club of disruption was a wonderful thing. With it in my barb's hands, it wasn't over until either my barb died or the clock ran out.

Toughest "big" monster?
The big elementals. Tons of damage resistance. And usually pounded my boneguards into dust.

Easiest "big" monster?
Tie between the remorhazz and the occasional frost giant. Neither had much damage resistance and would die easily from a full squad of skellies.

Once again, summon the skellies, but FIGHT with a real tank!
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 11:02 AM   #22
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Magness, thank you for that very organized explanation and the link! I'll try it this weekend.

And to everyone else THANKS! You've all been super! I did get into all the rooms and currently am fighting aurilites etc coming out of nowhere...Would that have anything to do with my having gone to the altar and said the name of the demon there? I never did slay it...so I'm wondering...sigh...it's gonna meet me in the room with the trapped floor isn't it? *heavy sigh, small chuckle*

Ok, I'll be off doing that and if I get stuck again...well, you'll no doubt be seeing alot of me! LOL

pd: Nightowl...OUCH! that trap hurt!

[ 10-11-2002, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 10-11-2002, 11:43 AM   #23
Nightowl2
Galvatron

The bit with the critter in the altar is something of an anticlimax. I was confused by it the first time myself. All that happens is the whirlwind zips around for awhile and disappears, never to be seen again. There is no big fight now or later with it. Once it's out of the altar, the abishai are freed and you can go back to tell them so. They'll take a little revenge on their way back home, too.

As for Aurilites coming out of the woodwork, yeah, I wonder where they've been hiding, too.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 02:53 PM   #24
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Nightowl, you're a dear! Thanks! I can't wait to go see the ice demons and pick up my xp! Hmm... we did check all the rooms, maybe the Aurilites were hiding in the snow outside! [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2002, 02:44 PM   #25
Iron Spike
Dungeon Master

now wouldnt it be scary to tackle the battle room on HoF mode without summons.
Iron Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 02:17 AM   #26
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

I actualy did beat the battle room in HoF without summons... Ahem (*gets on soap box*) I had my fighter get Pudus Blight, The Sword of the Souless, and +5 Quaterstaff of spell resistence. Gave her all the partys best equipment Armor,Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise, Warg Collar(life saver against fear and panic caused by demons),etc. Zapped her with Stoneskin and Improved Invis and sent her in. The only ones that gave her a problem were the Galbrezu's but the rest went down easy. At rank 10 in HoF mode I think the Cornugan had 1,000 hitpoints... it took like 59 seconds to beat most of the rank 10 creatures. I started at rank 10 and worked down. BUT using this method it took about 6 hours to beat the damn thing. But I got armor that gives 10/+2 damage resistence and a very nice +5 Short Sword of Brilliance... But I was expecting like 100,000 experience; it only gave me 500 per rank and 7500 after I beat all ranks. 10 ranks x 500exp = 5,000 + 7,500 = 12,500exp / 250 fights = 50exp per Demon... Hmmm was this worth it? I wanted to beat it once and figured why not do it HoF so at least I know non-HoF was do-able, but I was expecting the game to give me something REALLY good, or at least a couple levels worth of experience.
Old 10-14-2002, 01:29 PM   #27
Guinness
The Magister

I am still stuck on this damned level.

I have killed/banished/destroyed everything i can on this level (except the abishals, the genie of talos, Nicodemus and Nathaniel).

I managed to enter the room with the "shadow" looking trap. Try as i may with potions of agility and master thievery (until i realised it no longer helps with disarms). But still no way of opening the door or disarming the lock! This is really pissing me off. Any help would be very much appreciated.

I have also repositioned the mirrow to the north of the lightning machine room to face west. But the bolt doesn't seem to get into the room to disarm the trap either.

[ 10-14-2002, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: Guinness ]
Old 10-14-2002, 06:29 PM   #28
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Ok, spoilers!

You can't disarm that trap- just get zapped and then go open the 'secret' door to the left (highlights in pink when you are in search mode) THEN go set the gizmo to send lightning NORTH (I think! ) and it will open the inner door...
Old 10-15-2002, 04:18 AM   #29
Guinness
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Ok, spoilers!

You can't disarm that trap- just get zapped and then go open the 'secret' door to the left (highlights in pink when you are in search mode) THEN go set the gizmo to send lightning NORTH (I think! ) and it will open the inner door...
Thanks, i finally got it. There was a glitch when i got there which somehow stopped the lightning from striking the door. replayed from a previous save solved the problem..... annoying nonetheless.