Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2003, 06:51 AM   #21
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Tancred:
Perhaps not undead blood-drinkers, no. But there are vampiric species living on this earth. They're not supernatural, they don't so much suck blood as lap it up and they're not human, but they are there.
Cool, so they are basically like many of the Alaskan innuit tribes who drink seal and elk blood as a means of survival?
Also, what makes them un-human? Are they simply genetically inviable (such as mules and some breeds of cat and dog)? Or do they possess traits that one would not label as 'normally human'? Can they breed with humans (ie: does the DNA in their zygotes match closely enough in order to fit together and produce an embryo?)?

Genuinely curious.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:56 AM   #22
J'aran
Mephistopheles

I think he means vampire bats.

[ 05-06-2003, 06:58 AM: Message edited by: J'aran ]
Old 05-06-2003, 07:04 AM   #23
Annatar
Mephistopheles

Cute little fellow.. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

I like Blade, though it aint based on the vampire masquarade books (Vampire Handbook).. but it comes close, I doubt it that there are vampire's like those in the Blade movies (sjeees look at part II.. sick aint it?)
Old 05-06-2003, 07:24 AM   #24
The Hierophant

Quote:
Originally posted by J'aran:
I think he means vampire bats.

Ah yes, that would make perfect sense. Thank you.

[ 05-06-2003, 07:25 AM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]
Old 05-06-2003, 08:53 AM   #25
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
You have just as much proof of that, as that there is a God.
Ahhh but Johnny, if there were cursed immortal undead doomed to walk the earth sucking blood..then there HAS to be a God who had cursed them [img]smile.gif[/img] so if you believe in "Vampires" then you must by default believe in God and then realize that since there is a God who cursed the evil undead..that they are evil and to admire them, or follow them would be an act of evil as well [img]smile.gif[/img] Conversly, there is no such dependance of God on vampires.

[ 05-06-2003, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 05-06-2003, 08:57 AM   #26
MagiK

Quote:
:/ Perhaps not undead blood-drinkers, no. But there are vampiric species living on this earth. They're not supernatural, they don't so much suck blood as lap it up and they're not human, but they are there.
Ahh but tancred..the word used was "Vampire" not blood sucker or even Vampire Bat...which isn't even its actual name. But yes there are parasites and a very few animals that survive on the blood of a host body. And that chicks web site is talkin honest to Brahm Stoker vampires not some parasite or bat.

Old 05-06-2003, 08:59 AM   #27
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
quote:
Perhaps not undead blood-drinkers, no. But there are vampiric species living on this earth. They're not supernatural, they don't so much suck blood as lap it up and they're not human, but they are there.
Cool, so they are basically like many of the Alaskan innuit tribes who drink seal and elk blood as a means of survival?
Also, what makes them un-human? Are they simply genetically inviable (such as mules and some breeds of cat and dog)? Or do they possess traits that one would not label as 'normally human'? Can they breed with humans (ie: does the DNA in their zygotes match closely enough in order to fit together and produce an embryo?)?

Genuinely curious.
[/QUOTE]H dude, I have lived in alaska, and the Innuit do NOT survive solely on the blood, they use every ounce of the animals they catch...they have to, they live in some of the harshest climates on the planet and they do not gain any supernatural powers from drinking that blood.

Old 05-06-2003, 09:39 AM   #28
The Hierophant

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
H dude, I have lived in alaska, and the Innuit do NOT survive solely on the blood, they use every ounce of the animals they catch...they have to, they live in some of the harshest climates on the planet and they do not gain any supernatural powers from drinking that blood.
I never said that the blood was their only source of nutrition. But it is part of their diet (for some of the tribes at least). I was asking whether these 'real' vampires referred to earlier were of similar circumstances, that blood-drinking was a necessary part of their survival technique.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:46 AM   #29
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
I never said that the blood was their only source of nutrition. But it is part of their diet (for some of the tribes at least). I was asking whether these 'real' vampires referred to earlier were of similar circumstances, that blood-drinking was a necessary part of their survival technique.
Oh ok then, my mistake, thought youw ere trying to imply the existance of cursed undead blood drinkers due to the existance of some people who drink blood some times. [img]smile.gif[/img] I think some people want to believe in the schlock but when faced with reality try to confuse the issue by changing the definition of Vampire.

Main Entry: vam·pire
Pronunciation: 'vam-"pIr
Function: noun
Etymology: French, from German Vampir, from Serbo-Croatian vampir
Date: 1734
1 : the reanimated body of a dead person believed to come from the grave at night and suck the blood of persons asleep
2 a : one who lives by preying on others b : a woman who exploits and ruins her lover

Definition number one is the most commonly accepted meaning of the word. Any other definitions that are given just cloud the issue and derail the arguments.

[ 05-06-2003, 09:46 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 05-06-2003, 09:49 AM   #30
The Hierophant

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
] I think some people want to believe in the schlock but when faced with reality try to confuse the issue by changing the definition of Vampire.

Hey, wow, we are in 100% pure, raw, unadulterated agreement
How can this be?