Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2003, 05:38 PM   #21
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Phoenix? Whats the Phoenix transformation...I'm lost.... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 05:39 PM   #22
Tancred
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:

================================================== =============================

Quoted by Nerull: "Question is, if she can change her form, then why can't she hide scars?"

My answer to that would be in the sentence she spoke as Wolverine discovered the scars...that nobody had ever scarred her like that before. I am assuming it has something to do with Wolverine's talons of adamite...

================================================== =============================

Another way of looking at it: Mystique has shown the ability to change her form, but she can't become a completely new shape, like a blob or a square. If that's so, perhaps it's some quality of her skin that allows her to alter her appearance. That explains why the scarred area can't change - because they're damaged.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:20 PM   #23
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Goulum:
Phoenix? Whats the Phoenix transformation...I'm lost.... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
SPOILER
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
In the comics, in perhaps one of the best known storylines in X-Men history, Jean Grey sacrifices herself by insisting on piloting a space shuttle containing the X-Men through a radiation storm back to Earth. They all figure her to die from the radiation. They were wrong. She comes flying out of the water as Phoenix, a massively powerful being with nearly unlimited abilities. At first, she uses these abilities for good. However, Mastermind and the Hellfire Club manage to seduce her to the dark side, at which she becomes Dark Phoenix. At that point, she lets loose with all of the darker emotions that she normally keeps inside (btw, this is when the Jean/Logan relationship heats up in the comic, as he understands having to fight your own dark side). She eventually goes completely over the edge, destroying an entire solar system. Eventually, Professor X manages to subdue the Phoenix, suppressing her abilities. However, the X-Men are then abducted by Lillandra, who is intent on destroying Phoenix. In the ensuing battle with her forces, Cyclops falls, and Phoenix cuts loose. She eventually sacrifices herself to save the universe.

Of course, they had to bring her back. You find out later that Phoenix was a cosmic entity that offered to save Jean Grey's life while she was dying in the shuttle. It replaced her, and emulated her physically, mentally, and emotionally (so in every way that counts, she was Jean Grey). It put her in stasis inside the shuttle, so that when it crashed she would slowly be healed until she was ready to return. Then, they find her in the crash and recover her, leaving a lot of explaining for Cyclops to do (he only married her clone and had a child while she was gone, but that is a different story!).

It is definitely a different approach that they are taking in the movie, but still it results in a similar story: Jean Grey becomes Phoenix, who will eventually become Dark Phoenix.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 05:14 PM   #24
the mighty stamar

I have those comic books. I havent read them in quite a while but I do remember them.

They are famous as the best selling comic books ever.

The end of the series, Wolverine kills phoenix. That is quite possible ending in the next movie as well. Well have to wait and see.

Lets see, the next move which is titles mutant wars, probably has : sentinels, Dark phoenix... gambit... I wonder what else.
the mighty stamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 06:03 PM   #25
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
<font color="#f683ad"> Just wanted to share the one most awesome...moment in X-Men comics that has stuck in my mind for a very very long time....

In one book, Magneto and the Brotherhood are fighting the X-Men which at this point included Collosus.....and Pyro started flaming him up,(Collosus that is) getting him to the point where he was white hot, but apparently surviving it ok....when Magneto pulled two tankers of Liquid Oxygen in and slammed them on him....he didn't shatter the way glass would have but he was frozen in solid shape and had cracks and gouges taken out of him all over...that scene was really awesomely done....and it took quite a while for them to find a way to heal him...Im not sure any more but I think Illyana his sister (also later known as MagiK) used Magic to heal him.</font>
<font color=deepskyblue>My favorite scene with Colossus occurred several years later. The X-Men were in the Morlock tunnels when a new group of "nasty" mutants called the Marauders attacked them. One of them was called Harpoon, because he was an Eskimo that could create and throw harpoon-shaped energy bolts. He nails Shadowcat with an energy harpoon just as she is "Phasing" - causing her to shriek in agony. Bad Move. Colossus starts towards Harpoon, only to be confronted by a guy named Riptide that can spin at incredible velocity. Riptide also throws out small projectiles as he spins, which become deadly missiles (think of tornado driving a straw through a tree). Riptide lets loose with a huge volley of projectiles, cutting some of the Morlocks to ribbons. He starts laughing when he hears their cries of agony. That is too much for the gentle Russian. He wades through all the projectiles thrown at him. Riptide is bragging about how he can penetrate even Colossus' steel skin, but the Russian keeps coming. He walks right up to him and grabs him by the neck. There is a brief pause, and you see all of these projectiles sticking into Colossus from his chest down. Riptide stares in disbelief - then Colossus SNAPS his neck. As he is holding the lifeless Riptide in his hands, he turns to Harpoon and says "Pray to whatever gods you worship little man.....YOU'RE NEXT!"

That was very cool. Colossus doesn't lose his control like that often. After the fight (the rest of the Maruaders turned tail and ran), Magneto is examining the wounds caused by Riptides projectiles (Magneto was leading the X-Men at this time). As they remove the objects, a visible stream of energy comes pouring out of Colossus' body. He will obviously bleed to death in a matter of moments if he returns to his human form - so Magneto tries to repair the damage while Peter is still transformed into his steel alloy form. It works, but Colossus is left paralyzed. He leaves the comics for a while to heal and recover. His return is the second best scene I've ever read.

{see next post}</font>
Old 05-06-2003, 06:10 PM   #26
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

NExt post is apparently in the works. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-06-2003, 06:17 PM   #27
Cerek the Barbaric

<font color=deepskyblue>During the Fall of the Mutants storyline, Wolverine was the leader of the X-Men. Magneto had left, Cyclops had joined with the original X-Men to form a group called X-Factor, and Storm had lost her powers thanks to her lover - a Native American named Forge.

Wolverine lead the group to Forge's skyscraper home in Texas. Nobody is home. Wolverine goes in first because he knows the place has all kinds of "booby traps". Sure enough, he gets caught in a crossfire of lasers. He is hurt so bad that he can't move. Rogue comes flying in with Longshot (for good luck ) and grabs him. As she flies out, she crashes into......The BLOB! He has teamed with Mystique, Destiny, Pyro, and Avalanche to form another group of evil mutants. To make matters worse, they are actually endorsed by the gov't to HUNT mutants who haven't complied with the Mutant Registration Act.

So Rogue crashes into Blob and Wolvie is laying on the ground too weak to move. Blob tells Avalanche (who can manipulate dirt and stone like water) and tells him to throw him high in the air. Logan can only lay there in helpless horror as the several-hundred pound Blob comes falling out of the sky and lands *SMACK* on top of him. The other X-Men gasp in horror, but Blob just laughs. Then he says "Don't worry, he's still alive. I can feel him wiggling around under me". A couple of minutes later, Blob is mouthing off again when there suddenly a very audible *SNIKT*. The Blob's eyes go wide in disbelief, then he goes flying into the air, yelping in pain. Wolverine is lying flat on his back with his claws pointed straight up. He smiles and says to himself "Happy Landings, Bub".

While all of this is going on, Colossus is trying to get back to the X-Men. He had gone overseas (maybe back home) to heal from the wounds he suffered from Riptide. He comes to a phonebooth and tries to dial Xavier's School, but the slightest touch from him crushes the phone. He realizes that his strength has somehow increased dramatically during his recovery. Just then, his little sister Illyana (MagiK) shows up and offers to teleport him to the X-men. She 'ports him to Forge's stronghold JUST AS the Blob is coming BACK down after Wolvie's surprise. With ONE PUNCH, Colossus completely changes the Blob's trajectory from straight down to straight back - sending him crashing through several walls of Forge's skyscraper.

That was an awesome fight sequence! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] </font>
Old 05-06-2003, 06:19 PM   #28
Cerek the Barbaric

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
NExt post is apparently in the works. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
<font color="deepskyblue">Geeeeez....give a guy a little time next time counselor. </font>
Old 05-06-2003, 06:27 PM   #29
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I was rushing to beat you to it. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2003, 09:21 AM   #30
MagiK

<font color="#f683ad">Wow Great post Cerek [img]smile.gif[/img] Brings back fun memories [img]smile.gif[/img] I was just giving up on comic books about the time the X-Men were doing the Morloc series.</font>