Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2002, 12:29 PM   #21
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Is AVG a 16 bit application? If so, it can cause problems. 32 bit programs are the most modern and stable software. It has to do with the way memory addresses are allocated by the OS. If I remember correctly, GPFs occur when more the one program is trying to use the same memory address. This usually happens when running older 16 bit apps. "Free" software is usually 16 bit because it's not re-written as often. Also, it sounds like you didn't get a clean uninstall. You have old app "ghosts" haunting the OS. You can try playing with the registry and hunting down rogue files if you want, but I find that method far more trouble than it's worth. With a win 9X OS the easiest way to fix stuff is to use deltree to delete the entire windows sub-directory and then delete the root system files (MSDOS.SYS, IO.SYS, etc.). Boot with your startup disk or CD and re-load the OS. You will have to re-install your apps too, but all your saved games, documents, pictures, etc. should still be intact because you only deleted the OS. It prevents you from having to back up everything like when you format the HDD. Make sure and use Win98SE or W2000. They seem to have the most votes for stability. W2000 is an NT type OS and is a bit more complex to use and configure. It's also more secure and stable. I have heard of some few programs that won't run under an NT type OS, but they seem rare. I hope I've helped and not confused.
Old 05-20-2002, 01:26 PM   #22
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Just format and re-install. It sounds like your OS is hosed.

I would STRONGLY encourage you to get 2K or XP. They are much more reliable and with the restore points in XP you might have been able to save yourself this entire hassle.
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
Old 05-20-2002, 03:16 PM   #23
Epona
Zartan

OK - well this is it.... goodbye folks....

If you don't see me again it's because I couldn't get my internet connection set up again. I've now got one of them newfangled cable thingies, and I didn't see what the engineer did to set the thing up, I've got the disks, I just hope it's not too complicated!

So here goes....
Hopefully see you in a couple of hours if all goes well. If not, well it's been nice knowing you. Keep Phil's drill running....
Old 05-20-2002, 06:18 PM   #24
Epona
Zartan

[img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img] OMG that was traumatic [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]

2 reformats and one fucked registry later, here I am, but using IE4, got to find a more up to date version.

And I forgot to save me e-mails [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img] lost the lot [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]
Also forgot to save me Black Sabbath desktop theme and ■■■■ knows where I got it from, I've had it for years [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2002, 06:27 PM   #25
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
[img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img] OMG that was traumatic [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]

2 reformats and one fucked registry later, here I am, but using IE4, got to find a more up to date version.

And I forgot to save me e-mails [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img] lost the lot [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]
Also forgot to save me Black Sabbath desktop theme and ■■■■ knows where I got it from, I've had it for years [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]
Point 1) Cut down on the profanity - there may be children watching

Point 2) Have you tried entering Black+Sabbath+desktop in Google? I did and got a whole bunch of sites. Enough, I should think, to satisfy even your depraved heavy metal cravings.....

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 05-20-2002, 06:40 PM   #26
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Quote:

How did you hose your registry after a clean install? Are you sure you don't have any HD problems?
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
Old 05-20-2002, 06:55 PM   #27
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:

Point 2) Have you tried entering Black+Sabbath+desktop in Google? I did and got a whole bunch of sites. Enough, I should think, to satisfy even your depraved heavy metal cravings.....
Sorry Mouse [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img] - I consider myself spanked [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I'll try to find it later - I was particularly fond of the sounds on this particular one, I was getting quite addicted to 'I AM IRONMAN' blaring out every time I had a GPF (ie. every 10 seconds) - I kinda miss it [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2002, 07:05 PM   #28
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:
How did you hose your registry after a clean install? Are you sure you don't have any HD problems?
I really don't know how I did it, just talented I guess [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I'm not entirely sure that I don't have a HD problem, no. I had a power problem a while back, which caused an interesting crackling noise to be heard emanating from the case [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img] , and when I rebooted scandisk detected some corrupted whatnots.

I have to say I didn't immediately link that with the problems, but now you come to mention it.... I have a new HDD to install anyway, and I may just change my PSU while I'm at it just in case. I had the case open earlier tonight and it seemed a little on the warm side Not hot enough to fry anything, but warm nonetheless. And yes, I have it on a circuit breaker, also have surge protection, and my mobo is one of those swanky modern ones that auto shuts down if the temp gets too high. And all the fans are working.
Old 05-20-2002, 08:46 PM   #29
MagiK

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:

Sorry Mouse [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img] - I consider myself spanked [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I'll try to find it later - I was particularly fond of the sounds on this particular one, I was getting quite addicted to 'I AM IRONMAN' blaring out every time I had a GPF (ie. every 10 seconds) - I kinda miss it [img]tongue.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]Iron Man is one of my all time favorite songs.....lots behind it...thanks for reminding me to look for the Desktop stuff [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-21-2002, 01:57 PM   #30
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Iron Man is one of my all time favorite songs.....lots behind it...thanks for reminding me to look for the Desktop stuff [img]smile.gif[/img]
I found it!
Here's the link if anyone wants it!

Black Sabbath Desktop Theme

Alas my problems are not solved even with a clean install. Still getting GPFs, so I guess I'm looking at a hardware problem. Upgrade time at the weekend I think! New 80 Gb HDD, more RAM, and Windoze XP